Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   Copy Protection (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14357-copy-protection.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Had Psychonauts had "Ubisoft" on the label it would have been released worldwide at the correct time, and would probably have carried more marketting clout...

However its not the name that sold it, is it? There are EA, Ubisoft and VU games that do sell terribly you know.

Karmillo 04-14-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
There is a limit to the number of times you can do it.

Just means a limited number of friend will be getting it :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_58
Bull. Oblivion is selling by word of mouth....because anyone who plays it or reads a review ends up wanting it for good reason. Bethesda is not a top name, beyond Elder Scrolls they haven't done too much. As for EA, everyone hates them these days so how can you use that arguement ;)

Pirates of the Carribean :frusty:

Why am I being cornered into debating why Psychonauts didn't sell? Tim shaffer works for Double Fine.....not Telltalte.

Lets get back to the subject.

RLacey 04-14-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Bull. Oblivion is selling by word of mouth....because anyone who plays it or reads a review ends up wanting it for good reason. Bethesda is not a top name, beyond Elder Scrolls they haven't done too much. As for EA, everyone hates them these days so how can you use that arguement ;)

Oh, come off it. Loads of people preordered Oblivion as soon as they saw the pretty screenshots ;). Just like lots of people (in adventure gaming terms) have preordered Dreamfall purely because it's a sequel to The Longest Journey. As for only making the Elder Scrolls games (and some well respected action games in the deep and distant past), Morrowind sold in vast quantities. The budget for Oblivion didn't come out of nowhere, you know ;).

My EA reference, meanwhile, was purely to show that quality of game and sales figures aren't really linked as strongly as you're suggesting. Psychonauts didn't do particularly well despite close to unanimous critical praise; ditto for Beyond Good & Evil. EA, meanwhile, can sell any incarnation of a sports game by slapping on a company badge.

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic :).

Quote:

EA, meanwhile, can sell any incarnation of a sports game by slapping on a company badge.

No they can't, if people want a sports game they will buy it. This is just your bias against them. I happen to like sports games, and its not my fault EA is the only one releasing them. A company name means nothing.

Quote:

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic :).
Indeed. Anyone from Telltale still around to comment?

RLacey 04-14-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

No they can't, if people want a sports game they will buy it. This is just your bias against them. I happen to like sports games, and its not my fault EA is the only one releasing them. A company name means nothing.

The only bias I have against EA is that they regularly produce below-par games ;). If we're going to compare sports titles, take a look at the football/soccer games. EA managed to flog a FIFA game every year despite the fact that every comparative review I've ever read reckons that the Pro Evo games are better :crazy:.

I am talking mostly about the NHL games, which have bested the 2kgames versions every year....not to mention I prefer Need for Speed Most Wanted over the other racers out there.

Well its nice to know this chat went on for so long, but unfortunately beyond the first page I didn't get much answered....

NcroManiac 04-14-2006 01:37 PM

Yeah, better to ignore us naysayers than to add more salt in an open wound.

RLacey 04-14-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

I am talking mostly about the NHL games, which have bested the 2kgames versions every year....not to mention I prefer Need for Speed Most Wanted over the other racers out there.

And I'm not talking about those games. The good games that EA have produced are completely irrelevant to my argument. Actually, scrub that, they are relevant, but only in the sense that they prove my point. People buy the good games, and they then buy the bad games because EA make them and market them. Quality doesn't factor into those latter purchases.

I'm actually quite curious as to what it is that you wanted answered, anyway :crazy:.

Quote:

I'm actually quite curious as to what it is that you wanted answered, anyway :crazy:.

Anything beyond an arguement about why games sell or why I don't crack the games....

RLacey 04-14-2006 01:44 PM

Well, you complained about the copy protection system, but won't accept the "we will patch it if we go bust" answer. Which is the only answer they can give other than changing the protection system or removing it entirely. As any copy protection system is going to be subject to criticism from some quarters, and as all of them impose restrictions of some kind on the purchaser, I can only assume that the only system you'd be happy with is an absence of copy protection altogether. And I suspect that that would lose them far more customers than are put off by the system already in use.

Jackal 04-14-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Indeed. Anyone from Telltale still around to comment?

I sincerely hope not. :shifty: This got embarrassing quickly. The original question was answered, so please continue your arguments (if you must) on the main forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
I sincerely hope not. :shifty: This got embarrassing quickly.

Hey don't look at me, I'm not the one who went off course. I was under the impression that people weren't going to jump all over me, but I must have been wrong.

Jackal 04-14-2006 02:06 PM

I'm looking at everyone whose posts stopped being directed at Telltale, which is the purpose of this thread. (Which now includes me, dammit. :()

Anyway, unless I'm seriously missing something, I think Kevin's answer pretty much said everything there is to say about Telltale's perspective on the matter. It's the protection scheme that makes the most sense for them, even if it's an imperfect solution in an imperfect world.