Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   Telltale Game Engine (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14355-telltale-game-engine.html)

vimes 04-14-2006 01:13 PM

Deck 13 used OGRE - good technology, advanced feature, cheap - did it come to your mind to use an engine under the GPL license? Couldn't you have built your tools around such an engine ?

Dasilva 04-14-2006 01:14 PM

They look good enough for me, Its just some places look a bit blurry. :) I was just curious. ;)

Orange Brat 04-14-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vimes
Deck 13 used OGRE - good technology, advanced feature, cheap - did it come to your mind to use an engine under the GPL license? Couldn't you have built your tools around such an engine ?

Ogre isn't an engine...its only use is for rendering.

spaceship789 07-18-2006 12:11 AM

>>Ogre isn't an engine...its only use is for rendering.

Both pedantic and wrong: "engine" is entirely acceptable shorthand for a rendering engine, which ogre is a definitive example of.

Tramboi 08-01-2006 03:26 PM

Hi Kevin!
A few technical points from a colleague :)

Am I wrong or are the characters lit with Gouraud vertex lighting?
If so, given the fact the cartoony characters are so smooth, I think a nice smooth per-pixel lighting would greatly benefit the games without modifying the resources!
Shadows would be nice too :)

Your production pipe seems real smooth according to the quality and frequency of the games!

Cheers,
Bertrand

Crunchy in milk 11-21-2006 06:50 PM

Any chance the engine will feature hardware accelerated mouse or mouse control run in a separate thread in the future? When run on a machine at the lower end of the scale there's significant mouse lag - everything else runs fine but the pointer droops about.

fov 11-21-2006 09:16 PM

Turn graphics quality down, and the mouse speed should pick up. To get better graphics with the quality set to low, crank up the resolution as high as your computer will let you.

Crunchy in milk 11-22-2006 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 366493)
Turn graphics quality down, and the mouse speed should pick up. To get better graphics with the quality set to low, crank up the resolution as high as your computer will let you.

I understand that the overall performance is what's dragging the mouse performance down which is why I asked if such additions to the engine where possible. Some games in the past have offered just such options and since we're talking about adventure games that (in this case) are primarily focused on navigating scenes and scenarious with a mouse cursor, keeping that speedy despite all thats going on in the background would seem a boon.

I appreciate your suggestion but does it not seem a little odd to sacrifice visual wowery to achieve a steady framerate & responsive mouse input - when its an adventuregame that would look just as good at 18 frames as 80+ and practically no one could tell the difference if the cursor didn't lag?

kbruner 11-22-2006 09:56 AM

No worries, we will be moving to a hardware cursor in the near future!

Thanks,
Kevin