Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   Your gaming interests (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14353-your-gaming-interests.html)

Junkface 04-14-2006 10:07 AM

Your gaming interests

What games do you people at Telltale play in your spare time? What games inspire and influence you?

flagg 04-14-2006 10:10 AM

Spare time? You're kidding, right? ;)

I think I'd have to say Day of the Tentacle is my all-time favorite. And the Monkey Island series, of course.

DesignerGreg 04-14-2006 10:19 AM

Right now I'm addicted to NHL 2k6, and Guitar Hero...

Curse of Monkey Island was one of my all-time favorites - I was actually a tester on that. My experience working with the developers on that is partly what inspired me to go into writing and design...

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 10:30 AM

I was in the middle of God of War and Shadow of the Collossus when Kingdom Hearts 2 came out. Now I am playing Kingdom Hearts 2 almost exclusively and also this fantastic downloadable game called Plantasia. Oh and Nintendogs.

I find bits of inspiration in most games I play. But I think games that had a real formative effect on me design-wise were the Quest for Glory series, Wing Commander, and Sid Meier's Pirates!

Junkface 04-14-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLee
Quest for Glory series, Wing Commander

Damn, the two games most responsible for my interest in games. No wonder I loved The Great Cow Race (and liked Out from Boneville).

fov 04-14-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLee
Oh and Nintendogs.

How's your puppy doing today? Have you bathed him lately? :D

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 10:47 AM

Shh...don't tell anyone of my puppy neglect! They might come and take her away! It's not my fault!

(Reaches for her DS to see how big the fleas are)

kbruner 04-14-2006 11:20 AM

Animal Crossing! Animal Crossing! Animal Crossing!

And all the other wierd DS games...

Karmillo 04-14-2006 11:40 AM

Even Phoenix Wright?

fov 04-14-2006 11:45 AM

One of the things that struck me the first time I visited Telltale's office was the big shelf of boxed adventure games. It's a sight to behold. Newish games, LucasArts games like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle and Monkey Island, all the way back to Police Quest and A Mind Forever Voyaging.

We should take a picture of the game boxes and put it up on Telltale's site. I can think of a few people who would get lightheaded and faint just looking at it.

Squinky 04-14-2006 11:48 AM

Ooh, are the games in those boxes available for playing, or are they just decorations?

Dasilva 04-14-2006 11:56 AM

Yes, photos of the office would be great.

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 11:58 AM

Oh my goodness. Photos of the office might be dangerous.

RLacey 04-14-2006 12:02 PM

Only if you leave sufficient evidence for us to track you ;).

NcroManiac 04-14-2006 12:05 PM

Yeah. That would be a neat "real life" puzzle game :D

fov 04-14-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky
Ooh, are the games in those boxes available for playing, or are they just decorations?

I should grab one and see what happens.

I feel like there might be a hidden alarm or something. :crazy:

Or maybe if you pick them off the shelf in the right order, it opens up a secret passageway!

Lucien21 04-14-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Or maybe if you pick them off the shelf in the right order, it opens up a secret passageway!

Maybe that is where the kitchen is.

Dale Baldwin 04-14-2006 12:16 PM

Or the sacred never-emptying coffee pot.

fov 04-14-2006 12:17 PM

I'm going to go scope it out.

If you don't hear from me again, it's because I fell in. :crazy:

DaveGrossman 04-14-2006 12:26 PM

Funny that shelf should get mentioned. I just brought home Escape from Monkey Island, which people are often surprised to find out I've never played. Soon I won't be able to claim ignorance any longer.

Apart from that I've been playing a bit of Puzzle Pirates, where I mostly just hang out at the poker tables. And I somehow find time to play a lot of board games - Puerto Rico, TransAmerica, Carcassone, Vino... that sort of thing.

As for influential games, I must cite Legend of Zelda for the SNES. I long to design a game as tightly and ingeniously as that.