Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   What do you think of LucasArts now? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14348-what-do-you-think-lucasarts-now.html)

Hammerite 04-14-2006 09:50 AM

What do you think of LucasArts now?

Since many of you are ex-members of the LucasArts company, what do you think of the company's output now? Also, what do you think of Tim Schafer's current work?

kbruner 04-14-2006 10:02 AM

We're still quite close to all our Lucas friends. Those that are still there and those that have moved on. I think all of these people are really good at what they do, and the "new" Lucas is getting on the right track. They're not making the kinds of games I want to make anymore, but they are making better Star Wars games than they used to.

Of course Doublefine is making fantastic games! If anyone's games are worth waiting for, it's gotta be Tim.

DesignerGreg 04-14-2006 10:02 AM

I haven't played any of the latest LucasArts games... or Psychonauts yet!

I respect what LucasArts is trying to do with the Star Wars franchise... even though their games are not the type that I personally like to play...

-greg

Hammerite 04-14-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbruner
Of course Doublefine is making fantastic games! If anyone's games are worth waiting for, it's gotta be Tim.

i always find Tim Schafer is really similar to Tim Burton (by which i mean he has never really made a bad game, all his games have some weirdness in there and his first name is Tim)

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 10:20 AM

Psychonauts was a really fun game. Some of the levels were truly inspired. What I think I liked best about it was that the whole thing was wrapped up in a very coherent vision.

I hated some of the bosses though.

Dasilva 04-14-2006 10:24 AM

Do you think StarWars games are getting old now? They have no originality in their latest games, its always the same thing over and over and over.

flagg 04-14-2006 10:36 AM

You have to give LucasArts credit for being the impetus for some pretty cool spin-offs over the last few years -- Telltale, Nihilistic, Double Fine, just to name a few. LucasArts gave many of us our start in this business, and they made many of the games that define the adventure genre and that made me want become a developer in the first place. I can’t say I’m all that fond of the stuff they’re putting out these days, though admittedly I’m a little biased in that regard. And I have a severe allergic reaction to anything scored by John Williams, so I haven’t been able to play any of their new titles for a while now.

Tim Shafer rules.

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 10:49 AM

Hey John Williams is awesome!

I think my favorite Star Wars game is still Racer Revenge. Pod racing is sooo fun! Although I like the arcade pod racing game better, where you can actually climb up on the pod. Good times.

Dasilva 04-14-2006 10:58 AM

The only Star Wars games I loved were the Jedi Knight games & Kotor games, mainly because they didn't focus on the same characters from the star wars movies. And the music was different, the star wars theme music just makes me crinch now. Still, hope to see more Kotor & JK soon. :)

Squinky 04-14-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLee
Hey John Williams is awesome!

Yes, but only because he wrote a tuba concerto.

RLacey 04-14-2006 12:38 PM

I dunnno. Williams writes interesting themes. I'd blame the arrangers instead ;).

NcroManiac 04-14-2006 12:41 PM

I just think he sells out, at least in modern times. I perfere Danny Elfman myself, but he too can be a hit or miss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Do you think StarWars games are getting old now? They have no originality in their latest games, its always the same thing over and over and over.

For those of us who dislike the entire Star Wars franchise.....its even worse. :frown:

NcroManiac 04-14-2006 12:45 PM

Well, KOTOR is Star Wars for those who dislike Star Wars. Give it a try!

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 12:58 PM

My husband LOVED KOTOR. Enough that he had to play it twice. It is definitely not a game for the faint of heart though. He sank serious hours into that game.

NcroManiac 04-14-2006 01:35 PM

Hehe. Didn't we all :D

Trumgottist 04-15-2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky
Yes, but only because he wrote a tuba concerto.

His bassoon concerto ("The Five Sacred Trees") is great!

InlineChick 11-28-2006 12:34 PM

If you think KOTOR was good,watch this trailer for the 2007 next-gen Star Wars game! I think it'll be awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCZpzqe7UA

Artik2 01-11-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 279333)

I agree. The only change is a more complicated control panel for the games... but with the games itself... just the same... I'll miss the old LucasArt

Dasilva 01-11-2007 01:51 PM

One thing that puts me off is the Star Wars musical score, its so over played. I love Kotor for taking the effort to make a new score.