Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   Other Genres (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14345-other-genres.html)

Junkface 04-14-2006 09:44 AM

Other Genres

What are the chances Telltale may one day branch out from the casual and adventure genres, to produce games of other genres (i.e. action, RPG, etc)? I imagine the capabilities of Telltale's engine/toolset would have some influence here.

kbruner 04-14-2006 10:16 AM

Good question.

We're (modestly?) trying to invent our own genre, a "Telltale" game. Obviously we're starting from adventure games, but we're certainly willing to mix things up and try new things. However, all our games will focus on story and character.

Aside from this sniping game I've wanted to make forever, I wouldn't expect any FPS games from Telltale.

Junkface 04-14-2006 10:26 AM

Kevin Bruner Sniper is now at the top of my most anticipated games list.

fov 04-14-2006 10:53 AM

*looks over her shoulder cautiously*

I'm not sure handing Kevin a gun would be good for productivity. :crazy:

DaveGrossman 04-14-2006 10:57 AM

Different kinds of gameplay tend to support different elements of story, so I think we'd be more likely to incorporate the effective elements of other genres into what we already do, rather than specifically making a shooter or an RPG or what have you.

Just one man's opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGrossman
Different kinds of gameplay tend to support different elements of story, so I think we'd be more likely to incorporate the effective elements of other genres into what we already do, rather than specifically making a shooter or an RPG or what have you.

Just one man's opinion.

An RPG/adventure in the vein of Quest for Glory would be nice to see...:D

kbruner 04-14-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGrossman

Just one man's opinion.

I abosultely agree.

Adventure game doesn't mean great story and FPS doesn't mean bad story. XIII was one of my favorite games a few years ago becuase I really dug the story (and I'm awaiting a sequel!). As long as a Telltale game has a great story (and we can reasonably produce it!), we won't take anything off the table!

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_58
An RPG/adventure in the vein of Quest for Glory would be nice to see...:D

This is one of my favorite series ever. I would love to do a game like this some day...

Dasilva 04-14-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLee
This is one of my favorite series ever. I would love to do a game like this some day...

Maybe you can get 'VU Games' to cought up the rights. :P But yes, QFG is truly one of the best RPGs/adventure games ever.