You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #821

I hope its not a remake of any GK. The original games were brilliant as they were and dont need remaking. GK is available on GOG and its hardly unplayable today. I dont mind a remake per-se but when you have limited time, money and resources, I'd rather see it put in a new IP.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #822
Mean Old Cat

I think people are a little too snowed-in on GK for their own good. I personally think Jane is trying hard to get us excited about what other things she can and will make rather than having the bunch of us just sit here and sigh dreamily and think back on what she has done in the past. She's having a mighty difficult time succeeding with that, though, because as soon as she says anything a little vague to build suspension, people automatically go "A-hah!! GK!!!!". Which then spoils it when they find out what she actually did mean with her vague statement, and get disappointed.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #823
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFratelli View Post
I think people are a little too snowed-in on GK for their own good. I personally think Jane is trying hard to get us excited about what other things she can and will make rather than having the bunch of us just sit here and sigh dreamily and think back on what she has done in the past. She's having a mighty difficult time succeeding with that, though, because as soon as she says anything a little vague to build suspension, people automatically go "A-hah!! GK!!!!". Which then spoils it when they find out what she actually did mean with her vague statement, and get disappointed.
I completely agree. But then I've never understood the interest for sequels. I will see/play sequels and series (to a degree, Ice Age 5 is just idiotic, I didn't want to see any more of that series after nr. 3), but I've always preferred new ideas over continuations of old ones.
I make an exception for trilogy's and clearly defined series, like Harry Potter, where the writer/maker obviously had a series planned out from the start, and a plot line extending over several releases. But for me that is "one" work of art, not a line of sequels, like so many of the games and movies that come out now are.

I'm playing through Gabriel Knight 1 for the first time now, so I don't have the nostalgic feelings for the series that others have, but still with a series like Syberia, which I absolutely adored and have played several times, I never felt a need or a wish for a third game.

And since this is my first time commenting on this thread, I will say that the announcement of the second game was what was needed for me to bump my pledge up to 56.66$. I was considering it before, but 50$ was a bit too steep for me to only get one game.

As for the discussion of voice actors, I have nothing to compare with, but so far I'm hating both Gabriel and that horrid narrator. I'm so close to turning her off, but feel like I'll miss out on a part of the game. She keeps reading every. single. line like it's the most dramatic part of her script!

I'm assuming Gabriel is supposed to be an anti-hero, but I've never liked the "I'm so awesome everybody loves me" type of person that is demeaning to women and takes advantage of his friends. The shining lights for me has been Grace, who is awesome, snarky and well-voiced, and his grand-mother, who is adorable.
The way Gabriel say "just tell me anything" is seriously creepy, and I find it awkward that he uses the same sensual voice no matter who he says it to.

But then, I'm only on day 3 now, I'm taking it slow, doing one day at a time.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #824
She Wants Revenge

When you finish the trilogy you will agree that GK really would need a sequel. Syberia finished the story on the second game but in GK some bigger scheme things are left open, really begging for continuation. But I am not drooling over GK4 here either. It's not doable now so I am perfectly happy with these game concepts we've been introduced to and would be very disappointed if they would be scrapped.

Grace is voiced by Leah Remini and I really loved her too. We wont see/hear her in the later games though. (Beast Within is rather obvious since it's FMV game and Leah isn't Asian but she could've come back for the third like Tim Curry.)

Gabriel is a great character by the way. Yes, he is obnoxious but he's a bit deeper and evolving character than just some dude full of himself.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #825
Filmfreak

The amount per backer has gone up again. Now that there are two games to be had, the number of 16$ backers is actually going down. Lots of people are upping their amount to 50$ or more!

If we can keep this rate up for the next 13 days, we might get to 350-400K, which would be very nice indeed!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #826

Jane Jensen does have the most generous fans, but I still find it problematic that there are so few backers. She doesn't seem to draw an exactly huge audience. That, for whatever reasons, remains a weakness of her campaign so far. It will be enough this time around, but will it be for the next season? I hope so, maybe the upcoming games of this season will convince more people for the next.

BTW, great interview, AdventureGamers! The insight into the production process was very interesting, especially the concept arts, storyboards and more on the last page!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #827
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.A View Post
I'm curious to know if it's something OTHER than Grey Matter 2 though. I hope it is GM2, personally, but if it's not, what could it be? She should start putting out hints on her facebook page again like she did pre-kickstarter.

Ahh...this is too damn exciting!
It's something completely new. It's not GM2, because, well, it wouldn't be advertised like this (first voted "out", then being "Mystery Game X"), and she's mentioned a few times that there is also another project she would like to do (well, many, but the one she talked about originally as doing one of those on the list and then one other that she has been planning).

Besides, didn't she say in the video something about being a completely different (full) game?

I do really hope GM2 also comes soon, though! Nevertheless, I'm just extremely excited about all the full games she's making, new or sequel Can't recall a single writer as talented and skilled as her in the industry!

Last edited by UPtimist; 05-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
As for the discussion of voice actors, I have nothing to compare with, but so far I'm hating both Gabriel and that horrid narrator. I'm so close to turning her off, but feel like I'll miss out on a part of the game. She keeps reading every. single. line like it's the most dramatic part of her script!
Dear god, turn that narrator off NOW! Gabriel Knight is the only Sierra game I know of that has a separate option for turning the narrator's voice off without turning off the rest of the voices. I'm pretty sure this is because she is unbearable to listen to. During my first playthrough, I think I turned her off after about ten seconds and never looked back.

And yes: In a cast including Tim Curry, Mark Hammil and Michael Dorn, the standout star is definitely Leah Remini.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #829

I always loved the GK1 narrator. So strange and ominous, setting the tone for the game.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #830
Lovable rogue

I've only played the speechless version of GK1. As much as I love Tim Curry, I have a hard time imagining him as Gabe.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #831
Schattenjäger

theres another vote for a double fine playthrough, and GK is having a pretty strong showing so far!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
theres another vote for a double fine playthrough, and GK is having a pretty strong showing so far!!!
?

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #833
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
?
On the double fine backer forum they do chat playthroughs, where a doublefine staff member plays a game for a few hours on saturday on a livestream (and then again the next saturday to conclude thoughts on the game). This last week full throttle won by a large amount of votes. As of this moment GK is in 2nd place (and behind by one vote). Looks like it could be a really close one.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
?
From Double Fine's private backer forums,
Quote:
For those of you who aren’t in the know, we get together every Saturday at 12:00 PDT to play a point and click adventure for a couple hours. We chat about what we like, and what we think could be improved on.
So I guess it's only for backers of their project?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #835
fov
Rattenmonster

I think it's only for their backers, yes. Anyway, I just went and voted for it.

One of Jane's backers is planning a GK playthrough this weekend too - and it will be open for everyone! It's going to start at 19:00GMT on Friday the 11th and run for 24 hours. (So, it would be wrapping up just when the Double Fine playthrough starts, if that ends up winning the vote.)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #836
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
Dear god, turn that narrator off NOW! Gabriel Knight is the only Sierra game I know of that has a separate option for turning the narrator's voice off without turning off the rest of the voices. I'm pretty sure this is because she is unbearable to listen to. During my first playthrough, I think I turned her off after about ten seconds and never looked back.
Haha, too true. I've played through the game many times, and each time I turn the narrator off. Just can't stand the way she reads the lines. Love all the other voices though.

I also look and interact with EVERYTHING in the game, because I love all the detailed descriptions it gives. I couldn't put up with her voice throughout all that.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #837
Schattenjäger

^really? i LOVED the narrator from GK1... shes so different and real and believable, and fits the mood of the game perfectly.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #838

I never understood either why the Voodoo lady from Monkey Island was narrating Gabe's thoughts. It made no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba!Ramba View Post
I never understood either why the Voodoo lady from Monkey Island was narrating Gabe's thoughts. It made no sense whatsoever.
C'mon, the first Gabriel Knight is all about voodoo. Although I'm sure it wasn't her.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post

And yes: In a cast including Tim Curry, Mark Hammil and Michael Dorn, the standout star is definitely Leah Remini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Haha, too true. I've played through the game many times, and each time I turn the narrator off. Just can't stand the way she reads the lines. Love all the other voices though.

I also look and interact with EVERYTHING in the game, because I love all the detailed descriptions it gives. I couldn't put up with her voice throughout all that.
The GK1 narrator (Virginia Capers) is, by far, the best narrator I've heard in a game. When I played GK1 again for the first time in 15+ years, I was initially put off by both her and Gabriel's voices. However they quickly grew on me. The narrator adds so much flavor to the game. I would listen to an entire audiobook by her if she read it in that voice.

Some of the voice actors I've seen gamers praise are pretty awful, so I'm not surprised that a lot of you dislike Capers.