You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Black Mirror question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Black Mirror question

I noticed there is a pack for the second and third game for "Black Mirror", but how essential is it to play the first game?

I typically want to play them from beginning to end, but the first game continues to allude me (always getting outbidded on ebay).
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #2

I've only played the 2nd and 3rd as well and I was able to follow the story well enough. So while I'm sure the first one is a good game, it's not essential.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Failed Birthday Elf

I think it depends on how bothered you are about missing out on backstory. You can pick up everything you strictly need to know from the second 2 games but if you want to have the full depth of them I would play the first one first.

Also the ending of the first game will be spoilt to some extent at least by playing the other two first if you ever want to go back to it. This isn't exactly the end of the world in that it won't completely ruin the first game but if you want the full experience it's better to play them in order. In my opinion anyway!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I felt the 3rd game really went back to the first, drawing on the same feel, going back to the same locations, discussing people we got to know in the first one, and even explaining some of the inconsistencies in the original story.
So I was really happy I played the first one, even if I absolutely hated quite a bit of the gameplay when I did. I even gained more appreciation for it while playing Black Mirror 3.

I picked the game up online at Adventure Shop, but had to patch it with other files to get it working. If you buy the online version I still have the working gfx files you need to patch in hosted here: working gfx files [dropbox]

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
She Wants Revenge

Yep, I agree with other posters. First one is by no means essential to be able to play 2nd and 3rd but it adds some nice depth and familiarity. The bigger issue is if you want to play the first one at some point as the sequels have huuuuuuge spoilers. (Also the gameplay issues in the 2st title might seem more harsh if you already experienced the smoother sequels.)

Personally I'd play them in order. I will replay all three at some point in the future.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Grue Master

Kndy

Are you in the States? I have a Jewel Case version of Black Mirror in a mini box if you would like to have it, no charge. However I am not sure the original Black Mirror works on Vista or Windows 7 as I have heard others having problems but I don't have those OS's. What operating System are you running?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Detective

You should play it. Personally i found it the best one in the series. The evil in Black Mirror was less fairy tale and given a more human touch. The mood of the game, the discoveries, the puzzles and Samuel Gordon of course made it for me a not to miss experience. The ending though weird kicked ass too.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

The first game was made by a different team and it can be felt. It's darker and has an edge to it. The gameplay on the other hand is quite terrible in large part and the dialogues may put you to sleep.

The second game has some funny references to the first which you aren't going to get if you haven't played it. Also you're going to be spoiled as already mentioned. Playing the original after 2-3 would be pretty pointless.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFuss View Post
Kndy

Are you in the States? I have a Jewel Case version of Black Mirror in a mini box if you would like to have it, no charge. However I am not sure the original Black Mirror works on Vista or Windows 7 as I have heard others having problems but I don't have those OS's. What operating System are you running?
Greetings GreyFuss, I sent you a message.

Thanks everyone for sharing their comments and answering my question!!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Grue Master

Message sent back attcha
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Automaton

The 1st game is by FAR the best one. Skip the 2nd and 3rd, not because they're bad, the 2nd is actually pretty good at times but if you play it you have to play the 3rd also, which is tedious as hell.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #12

IMO the first game is very good. The second and third are mediocre at best. Most references to the first game feels either contrived or silly or both. And the main protagonist gets annoying as hell. Add silly puzzles and bad dialouge. So my recommendation is to play only the first one and leave the sequels alone. I wish I had.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #13

The first game gives you the foundational story of the series. While 2 and 3 offer flashbacks and little tidbits that help you understand everything, you won't get the full effect of the revelations and events that happen in 2 and 3 if you don't play 1.

Plain and simple: If you're going to invest time in playing 2 and 3, you might as well invest in playing 1 first. After all, it sets up the entire series. And, in many ways, it is the best of the three (I personally like Darren/Adrian more than Samuel, but the first one is so much darker and more disturbing). And that ending! Oh -- it's one you can't miss.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #14

I present you the crappiest drawn map in the history of adventure gaming:

I've just started playing it and decided to draw as i explore (it might not be that complicated to remember, but i'm not that young anymore ). But Samuel mentioned something about the area map, will it include all of the rooms or not?

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #15

wow what in the world is that?
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
Filmfreak

As long as you yourself can make sense of the map, I suppose...