You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure sega game gear & master system adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #1

Default sega game gear & master system adventures

Hi everybody,

I've substracted this list of adventure games for the "game gear" and "master system" from mobygames:

master system
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Hoshi o sagashite
- King's Quest
- SpellCaster

game gear
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Phantasy Star Adventure
- Home Alone

Just yesterday I was able to get my hands on a game gear copy of Cosmic Spacehead in a retrogame shop in Brussels. I haven't had the time yet to really indulge in the game, but I was really moved to see a cursor an a choice between look at/pick up/use/talk to on my prehistoric handheld screen!

Have any of you had the opurtunity to play one or more of the games listed above and if so can you recommend a title? I was especially amazed to find out that their is a master system version of KQ!

Is the above list complete? I ask so because I'm in the possession of a Game Boy Color game named "Looney Tunes Collector" that feels quite adventure-like (although I admit that a lot of action is involved) but wasn't included in the moby adventuregames list for the GBC. In the aforementioned game you're Bugs and you need to befriend 14 other characters in order to complete your quest succesfully. All characters have their own specific abilities, Daffy can swim, Hazel can fly, Elmer can shoot obstacles out of the way, ... . I know this sounds more like a puzzlegame a la lost vikings, but since the game also compells you to conversate quite a bit with loads of characters and you need to perform chores for them, so that in turn they would help you out; it has something to offer to adventurers!

Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a wonderfull day!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Chicken with a bite

Mobygames isn't complete, but it's a community based site so if you come across adventure games that aren't listed, you can always contribute them.
Looney Tunes Collector: Alert! is in the database but listed as an action game. http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamebo...ollector-alert
If you think it should be listed as an adventure game, you can always submit a correction and explain why you think it is not an action game.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

"If you think it should be listed as an adventure game, you can always submit a correction and explain why you think it is not an action game."

I'm not necessarily opposed of it being included in the action game list. It rightly belongs there! I would just like this type of game to be also included in the adventure list. I've noticed other games being inluded in more than one genre, so these multiple options don't need to contradict each other

I wrote the paragraph about the Looney Tunes game off course not to blame Mobygame for being imperfect, but rather out of curiosity for other likewise games.

But anyways thank you very much for trying to be helpfull to a newcomer at this forum. I appreciate it very much!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #4

If you want a comprehensive list of Master System releases, I highly recommend Chronsega. There were definitely more adventure games on Master System than what's in your list -- Alex Kidd in High-Tech World being one of them. There are a few Japanese-only adventures that have since been fan-translated.

8-bit adventure games are really tough to go back to. I think I'd need a guide handy in order to tolerate the completely illogical, random nature of most of them.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #5

Thanx for the link! I took a quick look and am already convinced that I will devour this site in the comming days!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #6

I add "Alex Kidd in High-Tech World (thanks to Orient) and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? to this list. The latter was included in the Mobygames adventure list for the NES (strangely enough not for the MS though).

master system
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Hoshi o sagashite
- King's Quest
- SpellCaster
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
- Alex Kidd in High-Tech World

game gear
- Cosmic Spacehead
- Phantasy Star Adventure
- Home Alone

And a few questions, I would like to ask Orient:

"There are a few Japanese-only adventures that have since been fan-translated."

So were these legal copies (did Sega grant permission to do this) and at the time of heir completion, were could they be purchased? Are they easy to come by nowadays?

Did you play Alex Kidd in High-Tech World? what was the gameplay like? And would you recommend this game?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Jan View Post
So were these legal copies (did Sega grant permission to do this) and at the time of heir completion, were could they be purchased? Are they easy to come by nowadays?
Sega would not have granted permission. The fan groups would create translation patches (which is legal), and become available to download. The legal issue behind it is how people get a copy of the game to apply the patch on.

You can either back up your own game cartridge, or download the game on the net. The latter is the more popular choice, but obviously illegal.