You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games dying? Balony!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Default Adventure games dying? Balony!

Adventure games are going anywhere anytime soon and here is why...

If you want to make a really good action game that tells a good story, you are going to need a big company with lots of money to develop a fancy engine. Adventure games, on the other hand, are the easiest, most affordable way to make a game that tells a story without needing millions of dollars to do it. This is why adventure games still have a lot of life to live.

So what's all this talk I see about adventure games dying? There are probably more adventure games being produced today than ever before! Now you got all these affordable engines coming out, all you need is a handful of talented people and a small amount of money to make a decent adventure game.

Sure, they probably won't make it to your PS3 but who cares? Most console games are over-rated anyway.

Long live point and click!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

I read an article published in 1992 that said Adventure games were dying. Well, that didn't happen.

Fact: When the 3DS was released in Japan - the best selling title was an adventure game.

And what handheld game won every award in 2011 and was voted best game to play on a handheld? An adventure game.

I walked into a Gamestop and all the employees were wearing T-shirts advertising a huge game release for the Xbox 360 and Ps3 - and it was? An adventure game.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 04-25-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Grue Master

Its not that adventures games are dying...its the adventure game players that are dying, literally, with no next generation filling in the gaps like in the 90's and early 00's.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

You can thank publications like Gamespot and IGN for gleefully and prematurely declaring adventure games dead. This obviously had nothing to do with those publications being paid to promote other games.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
So what's all this talk I see about adventure games dying?
Name:  confused.gif
Views: 357
Size:  1.1 KB
When? Where? By who(m)?

Oh, it looks it's time for this thread again...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #6

Mainstream adventure games died because too many bastard VCs and brokers gained control of the gaming industry and the majority of the gaming press is a joke.

I bet the majority of young gamers would lump adventure games with casual slosh like Angry Birds or whatever anthropomorphic arcade knock off is currently climbing up the top ten in the iStore.

And yet, many of the people who contributed to Tim Schafer's Kickstarter happily did so because of Psychonauts so maybe the answer lies in diversifying what you make.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
More slaw!!!

Adventure games are doing great. I can't remember a time I had this many good adventure games to display at work; and this is just what I have in at the moment. We've been getting quite a few lines.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur View Post
Adventure games are doing great. I can't remember a time I had this many good adventure games to display at work; and this is just what I have in at the moment. We've been getting quite a few lines.
that shelf is awesome and amazing. Unfortunately i dont think such a shelf exists anywhere near here. Id be hard pressed to find a single adventure game in gamestops around here.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Toefur, that's in Oz? Point me in the right direction, I can't find a shelf like that anywhere near me!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
Toefur, that's in Oz?
Name:  rofl.gif
Views: 186
Size:  9.6 KB
Quote:
I can't find a shelf like that anywhere near me!
Me neither.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Why so funny?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Why so funny?
Apparently, zobraks didn't realize "Oz" is commonly used as a reference to Australia and was thinking the shelf was in the imaginary "Land of Oz".
Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Senior Passer-by

You got it, PD. I heard of Ozzies, but it never occured to me that the "land down under" ( where women glow and men plunder ) was Oz. For me Oz is where the Wizard of Oz lives.
Therefore the ROTFL when Skeeter mentioned it.

Last edited by zobraks; 04-28-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #14

Ahah... I should have said Aus... I do spell Ozzies Aussies...
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
that shelf is awesome and amazing. Unfortunately i dont think such a shelf exists anywhere near here. Id be hard pressed to find a single adventure game in gamestops around here.
That's an interesting point. I was in the US back in January/February and we stock a *lot* of PC games here, so I kind of assumed that there would be a large selection in the US. I went to a few Gamestops, and couldn't believe the lack of selection in titles - especially PC.

I went to one Gamestop and all it had were a handful of old PC games, I'd say no more than 10 total. I thought that was strange.

Quote:
Toefur, that's in Oz? Point me in the right direction, I can't find a shelf like that anywhere near me!
There is probably no other store that merchandises all their adventure games together in a prominent position like this; but all of these titles should be stocked at all EB Games stores throughout Australia.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
That's an interesting point. I was in the US back in January/February and we stock a *lot* of PC games here, so I kind of assumed that there would be a large selection in the US. I went to a few Gamestops, and couldn't believe the lack of selection in titles - especially PC.

I went to one Gamestop and all it had were a handful of old PC games, I'd say no more than 10 total. I thought that was strange.
I thought the same thing when I went to the UK. With a lot of adventures made in Europe, I expected the shelves to be full of games... but I didn't find much.

Quote:
There is probably no other store that merchandises all their adventure games together in a prominent position like this; but all of these titles should be stocked at all EB Games stores throughout Australia.
My EB's are sad places... I go in to my local once in a couple of months, but have given up looking in game shops for the most part. A quick Q, does yours stock Nancy Drew? I always used to get them from there, but i haven't seen them in a couple of years.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
More slaw!!!

Not consistently. At the moment, no. And I wouldn't expect to again. Over the past seven years we have stocked a total of 10 different Nancy Drew titles accross three different occasions, the most recently being 2 titles about 1 year ago. They always sell pretty well, too, so I don't know why we don't get them more consistently.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #18

Ah, thanks Toefur!