You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Stephen King And Adventure Games ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Stephen King And Adventure Games ?

does anyone else sees that 60-70 books of S.K and more with no single one of them ever became an adventure is kindda strange ..

i see a lot of potentials in his stories for the Adventures Theme/Stories/Scene/Gameplaying..

1st that comes to my mind is the Dark Tower Epic ... no doubt.

but if there would be (ever) an Adventure Based on one of his novels what would it be your choice?, would it be Shawank Redemption with all those prison escape/break themes that would create a great bunch of streaming and Puzzles encountering (nevertheless), or would it beThe Stand (though with Telltale Walking Dead i would really doubt it) or maybe Christine (imagine playing/controlling an Avatar and his Car and all the fun that would provide to the story and the game playing) or might it be DreamCatcher (playing with four avatars everyone has a special power as they help each others to save the world at end ,sounds like gobliiins or DotT playing idea )

soo many of S.K's stories that would fit right into the Adventure Games ..

Why there isnt one!! , that is a very demanding question! ,maybe it has something to do with the copyrights or with Stephen king himself , or maybe no one has thought that his stories would be appropriate/fit the scene of the Games after all.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-26-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Believe it or not I was wondering about the same thing. I love Stephen King's books and it would be so nice if at least on of them become adventure game. My choice would definitely be The Talisman, Secret Windows or Dream Catcher.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Filmfreak

There's actually very little exploration and investigation in Stephen King's novels, so I'm not so sure they'd translate to the adventure genre all that well.
Some might fit more in survival horror, or possibly a hybrid, but most just lend themselves better to movies, imo.
The Dark Tower might make a good RPG, too. But point-and-click? I'm not really feeling it...

Edit: Misery and 1408 could make for an "escape the room"-type of game, and IT gives you plenty of different options available...
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Schattenjäger

The main reason? Stephen king is pretty known for not liking videogames at all and saying so.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Iconoclast

http://www.mobygames.com/game/mist

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dark-half
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Homo Ludens

I was going to say that "The Mist" would make for a great adventure game what with the creative use of supermarket goods to
Spoiler:
fend off monsters
and then explore the Mist.

"The Running Man" (one of the Bachman novels) might also make for a good game. Not sure if adventure is the most appropriate genre for it though. One novel that I don't see anyone turning into a game (but would make a fantastic movie when Frank Darabont "gets to it") is "The Long Walk".
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

How about turning a John Grisham novel into an Ace Attorney clone?

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5709997

As for Stephen King, this one is rare but pretty well known: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lawnmower-man

If you have a PAL Sega CD copy of that game, send me a PM.

EDIT: I would like to see someone make a game around Thinner. It would probably be a timed adventure like 999 where your protagonist is gradually losing weight and you'll have to find a way to undo a gypsy curse before you disappear completely. Plus, I enjoyed how deliciously horrible everyone is in that novel.

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-26-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
As for Stephen King, this one is rare but pretty well known: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lawnmower-man
I played a version of that one once. Can't remember the system, though not Sega CD (and I don't have it any more any way). It was pretty awful as I remember.

But more importantly, it's based on the film rather than the story Stephen King wrote with the same name. The film was originally released as "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man", but he sued the makers and got his name removed. ( IMDB trivia)

The King short story is a heck of a lot weirder, and almost certainly wouldn't work as a game.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Advie.1

man i stumped ... did you try any of them , or should i say were they up to the novel? ,dark half is a tricky twisted subject to be an adventure .

please give me an idea i am trying to find a you tube play for both but with any success

but thanks, many thanks for the Infos Bastich

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
She Wants Revenge

I think Stephen King is at his best in dramas but those dramas aren't really that interesting as games. Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Green Mile... Of course you could use any of the stories a bit and just make it a detective adventure from a new perspective but I'd think the supernatural horror stories might work better.

King has a terrible way to go on ranting about everything for pages and pages but that might actually be a good thing for games, NPCs with history are a lot more interesting than just plain plot devices.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #11

I remember playing Dark Half and even enjoying it, despite it's bad reputation. But I think it was also based on a movie by George Romero (which I love). It would be nice to see a new game based on the book.

And I always thought that IT has plenty of material for a nice psychological character-based horror adventure. Even the movie adaptation (well, the first part) has a very "adventure" feeling all over it.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Edit: Misery and 1408 could make for an "escape the room"-type of game, and IT gives you plenty of different options available...
Gerald's Game could make for an absolutely frustrating Escape-the-room-game. Being handcuffed to the bed for the whole time.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I .
But more importantly, it's based on the film rather than the story Stephen King wrote with the same name. The film was originally released as "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man", but he sued the makers and got his name removed. ( IMDB trivia)

The King short story is a heck of a lot weirder, and almost certainly wouldn't work as a game.

I totally agree with you Mr.Steve as much as S.K sort of considerably overrated for being very Picky ,which is obvious mostly when disliked/disagreed with S.Kubrick's The Shining vision/version which is by all mean considered to be one of the best Movies of All time .... and by (one of), no!... not one of, but the Best Movie's director of all time! ..

I still respect him much and all the same as he is known for being the only author with such number of movies made based on his Novels and short Stories (they i guess would exceed 30 ones easily) but none of them were up to his writings except of course movies he took part in ,such as writing their screenplays, e.g(Stand,It,Children of the Corn ...etc)

SO when if comes to Stephen Kings Books being transformed into Adventure Games I think that imo wouldn't happen unless:
1st he is a big part of the making of that Game ,maybe writing the screenplay at least or to get such involved in it as it the way with J.J Adventures.
2 he is dead and then those Adventures would come out later on and they would on have this tag " based on Stephen King's ........ "on its cover

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #14

One of my favorite films based on King's novel, and fav film overall is - Misery. It's a magnificent "minimalistic" psychological thriller set in one room, between two characters. If you haven't watched the film, do yourself a favor.

However, i don't see how it would translate easy to a good adventure game. Much better chance for it (pun intended) would have - It - unforgettable horror with Tim Curry molesting group of kids/adults. Both Tim Curry and Toonstruck are responsible for my coulrophobia. The reason why i think it would make a good adventure game is, beside the fact that Tim Curry is involved , is that the film itself plays kinda adventurous, something like a dark version of The Goonies.

Anyway, there're many adventure games out there not based on King's work but they could easily be - Phantasmagoria, beside a little bit of Edgar Allan Poe-esque feel to it, brings The Shining to mind as well.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #15

Do we know of any books/stories that have been succesfully translated to an adventure game?
I can only think of Shannara, Xanth and Deathgate. Any others?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
One of my favorite films based on King's novel, and fav film overall is - Misery. It's a magnificent "minimalistic" psychological thriller set in one room, between two characters. If you haven't watched the film, do yourself a favor.

However, i don't see how it would translate easy to a good adventure game. Much better chance for it (pun intended) would have - It - unforgettable horror with Tim Curry molesting group of kids/adults. Both Tim Curry and Toonstruck are responsible for my coulrophobia. The reason why i think it would make a good adventure game is, beside the fact that Tim Curry is involved , is that the film itself plays kinda adventurous, something like a dark version of The Goonies.

Anyway, there're many adventure games out there not based on King's work but they could easily be - Phantasmagoria, beside a little bit of Edgar Allan Poe-esque feel to it, brings The Shining to mind as well.
Aahhh, Tim Curry.

Now that that's out, I'll just say I agree with this.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
Do we know of any books/stories that have been succesfully translated to an adventure game?
I can only think of Shannara, Xanth and Deathgate. Any others?
I guess that depends on how literally you want the translation to be and what your definition of 'successful' is. The Agatha Christie games aren't half bad, Frogware's Sherlock Holmes mostly not literally based on the books but in the same vein, Dracula games, Jules Verne games, Nancy Drew, The Dark Eye...
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...ion-literature lists not just adventure games but it's a good start.

Last edited by PolloDiablo; 04-27-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added quote for clarity