You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Upcoming forum changes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #21
The Quiet One

It does suck that all those old threads that have been going for years are going to have to start again. But apart from that, I'm looking forward to the update; it's nice to have a change every once in a while. Plus, I like the idea of a user rating system for games, and being able to have bigger avatars.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Advie.1

is there a fixed date for those upgrade to take place? i am afraid of posting a quiz and the next day its archived

Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
Lovable rogue

Oh noes, the forums!

I have to say, it'll be a little strange making the change; I've used vBulletin more than any other forum software.

That said, I'm sure everything will go seamlessly, and we'll be back to posting as if nothing had happened in no time.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #24
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
is there a fixed date for those upgrade to take place? i am afraid of posting a quiz and the next day its archived
Not yet. However, we'll probably announce a date at least a week in advance.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Game Creator Hobbyist

Oh, it's still that far off. And here we've been celebrating the death of The Thread™.

(Edit: To avoid misunderstandings, I should clarify that I'm in no way complaining. Just making a silly joke here.)

Last edited by Trumgottist; 04-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #26
tsa
Playing character

I think it's good to clean up. We will get used to the new forums. Pity about losing all threads but it's not the end of the world, is it?
One question: will we still be able to use [ i ] for italic, [ spoiler ] for
Spoiler:
spoilers
, and, most importantly, can we still
people
?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Filmfreak

BBcode has become so common that it'll probably be used still.

Question regarding the spoiler-tags: will the spoilers be of the "disappearing" sort where the spoiler is in a hidden window and you click the 'spoiler'-button to open that window within the post?
Not sure if I'm making clear what I mean, but it's a way to make sure that even pictures, links and smilies will remain invisible if the spoiler isn't shown...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Puts the 'e' in Mark

BBcode including spoiler tag will be there. You won't be able to hide images within spoilers, however spoilers will now be revealed by hovering your mouse over them (instead of selection, ensuring it's possible to see spoilers on touch devices). Also, if you click on them, the spoiler text will stay revealed until navigating to another page.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

A little secret thats probably lost in the sands of time now; this is the 2nd Adventuregamer(s) forum, the last one having blown up when Marek spilled water on his keyboard or something.

However I've been visiting AGs and using the forums for as long as I can remember and one thing the AG team have always been good at are amazing upgrades/updates. Always been excellent at gradually evolving the site in a creative but smooth way, keeping it fresh and relevant and I have no doubt it'll be no different this time. So no-body worry - lots of safe pairs of hands involved.

As long as there are frying pans and spam
and frying pans hitting spam or people everything will be alright!

(P.S. feeling nostalgic:
1st ever thread in the new forums' Chit Chat anybody? Only 591,725 posts ago...:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...hread.php?t=17
And heres what the forums looked like way back in October 2000 when I joined:
http://web.archive.org/web/200012021...er.com/forums/
And heres the old site way back in 1999:
http://web.archive.org/web/199904300...turegamer.com/
Ah the good old days...
Oh and just for a bit of comparison here's what dear old JustAdventure still looked like until December 2011!!
http://web.archive.org/web/201102280...adventure.com/
lol - AGs is slightly faster at the old evolution game, and has gotten pretty good at it!)
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
BBcode including spoiler tag will be there. You won't be able to hide images within spoilers, however spoilers will now be revealed by hovering your mouse over them (instead of selection, ensuring it's possible to see spoilers on touch devices). Also, if you click on them, the spoiler text will stay revealed until navigating to another page.
Woot! Handy!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #31
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Ha, Dom, I actually hadn't looked at the old forums in about 10 years. It's crazy how long the site has been going. I was 16 when the site started with the green background and now I'm an old old man.

We were going through a nasty domain ownership dispute with our hosts at the time, so the first forum move was not exactly out of choice (and a bit messy, as I recall). I think we've gotten a lot better in managing site upgrades since, thanks in large part also to Doug being our server admin. Thanks for your faith in us evolving the site sensibly!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
tsa
Playing character

You're doing a wonderful job, Marek et al.!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

Actually, I am unable to view spoilers of the hovering over kind on my iPhone...I always have to mark the damn things and copy them into some text box to actually read that stuff.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #34
tsa
Playing character

I trust Marek that it will work here.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #35
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
BBcode including spoiler tag will be there. You won't be able to hide images within spoilers

Those are not REAL spoilers, real spoilers should work like this.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

Heh, you obviously picked the first one that came to mind. That kind of cake wouldn't be allowed here, I think.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #37
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

That's exactly the type of spoiler-solution for the forums that I was talking about here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Question regarding the spoiler-tags: will the spoilers be of the "disappearing" sort where the spoiler is in a hidden window and you click the 'spoiler'-button to open that window within the post?
Not sure if I'm making clear what I mean, but it's a way to make sure that even pictures, links and smilies will remain invisible if the spoiler isn't shown...
Examples are better than descriptions in this case...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #38
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
That's exactly the type of spoiler-solution for the forums that I was talking about...

Examples are better than descriptions in this case...
Hehe. Yes, a picture (specially the one with cakes and boobs in it ) is worth a thousand words.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #39
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Actually, I am unable to view spoilers of the hovering over kind on my iPhone...I always have to mark the damn things and copy them into some text box to actually read that stuff.
That issue will be addressed. You'll be able to tap on a spoiler to reveal it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger View Post
And heres what the forums looked like way back in October 2000 when I joined:
http://web.archive.org/web/200012021...er.com/forums/
And heres the old site way back in 1999:
Ha ha! Classic thread titles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG in 2000
Sierra Online: Miss them or glad they're gone?

GASP: Rumours about BS3 all over Revs Forum...

Tim Schafer a turncoat?
Gah, I wish the Wayback Machine would let me peek inside those threads, for old time's sake...