You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 3D adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Default 3D adventure games?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any more modern adventure games that are presented in a 3D environment. All of the old point and click adventure games are great, but I've been really wanting to try something similar but with a more updated, modern setup.

The only real examples I can think of off the top of my head are Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and King's Quest 8. They both involve a full 3D world that you can freely move around in like many of the more action-oriented games out there nowadays, but they focus much more on the "adventure" and exploration elements than the combat. If anyone knows of any please feel free to share, thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

Amnesia: The Dark Descent would qualify as such, if you have the stomach for it.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Broken Sword 3 qualifies as well I think
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #4

80 Days, Myst 5, Conspiracies 2, Sherlock Holmes games up from The Awakened... Out of older titles - Normality, Realms of the Haunting if you don't mind a little action, Azrael's Tear and Tex Murphy games.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

I think The Awakened was too much of a pixel-hunt. The only thing worse than a pixel-hunt in 2D is a pixel-hunt in 3D. That said, The Pandora Directive is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's as open for exploration as you'd like, though!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

I'm currently at the end of Anachronox. This is my first playthrough, and my god, it's an extremely good 3D Adventure/RPG by Tom Hall. Made with the Quake2 engine, it is still one of the most stunning, epic and hilarious gaming experiences I've encountered. It mixes two genres much, much better than King's Quest did, with few random RPG elements and a strong focus on quests, puzzles and exploration. If you have a thirst for it, like I did about a month ago, it's just your thing And it is only 6 bucks on GOG.

You might also give Simon the Sorcerer 3D a chance. While there is nothing attractive about its visuals, the writing is on par with Anachronox, and the 3D world is open for exploration (not as detailed, of course). And puzzle-wise it's a solid adventure game, just like the previous chapters. Only longer and better)

Last edited by Arial Type; 04-11-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Filmfreak

Let's not forget L.A. Noire and the two Portal games!

Although that usually sparks a debate as to whether or not they are adventure games...
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

Awesome, thanks for the replies thus far everyone! It sounds like I'll be occupied for a good while lol.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

There are some more "border" adventure games...

Chibi Robo for the Nintendo GameCube
Flower Rain and Sun for Nintendo DS, I think...
Stacking for PC/XBLA/PSN

Gabriel Knight 3 is pretty old now, but its full-3d