You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar
Default Other book adaptions

You at Frogwares really seem to like to make game adaptions from book classics, something I think has more merit that making games out of movies, but what other books do you like (generally) and what books would you like to make games out of?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
You at Frogwares really seem to like to make game adaptions from book classics, something I think has more merit that making games out of movies, but what other books do you like (generally) and what books would you like to make games out of?

The team is made of 35 people having very different taste, from no reading to surrealistic poetry like Henri Michaux. I will just speak about my taste now as it will make more sense than speaking for all the others.
I'm not sci-fi fan or fantasy fan spite I spent years (including nights) to play RPG with my friends around the table, with dices in the left hand. I love 19th century litterature, as it contains at the same time, a bunch of old values like respect, truth, figthing with honor, and its immediate opposed values like treason, corruption, threat, lies, cowardness,
A strong study of human nature is made by the french authors (Balzac, Stendhal, Barbey d'Aurevilly, Huysmans). the english authors are full of irony and self confidence, the russian are emotionnal and lucid (Tolstoi) or flooded into depression and nihilism (Dostoeivski). writers create monsters to show the gap between their feelings and the society rules (Mary Shelley and Bram Stocker).
The 20th century went over the analysis of the writers, creating political systems with their conclusions after the european suicide of the first world war.
I like to make the comparison with this past time, as even without internet, men were the same, strong and weak, building and destroying in the name of the same values.
For me the 19th century is the freedom of mind with the weight of the social rules, it's a perfect terrain for games, there is still free space for adventurers, as today the world is so organized that you are reduced to fight by yourself against a state conspiracy most of the time.

I gave you all the hints for our four next projects, Ragnar.