You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 12:54 AM   #1
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak
Default Why a Sherlock Holmes game?

How did you come up with the idea to do a Sherlock Holmes game?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:24 AM   #2

I could not answer this question better than Wael Amr, CEO of our company!

Waël: "Sherlock Holmes is extremely fascinating, for different reasons, but they are all coming from one main:
Sherlock Holmes is a brain, 'I'm a brain, Watson, the rest of me is a mere appendix' as he likes to say to his friend. From this fact different elements can be deduced:
If you take into consideration that humans are thinking animals, and the most successful of us are supposed to be the most intelligent too. Then some of us envy Sherlock's capacity of reasoning and deducing, as some women envy the beauty of others women, or the some people envy the purse of others.

Having Sherlock Holmes' brain, you can deduce, the work, the family situation, the vice, the disease of people that you meet. So you can know the past of these people, and in extenso, their future. Sherlock Holmes is, in a certain way, clairvoyant. He has a status of an extraordinary person, close to be a magician, spite he has no tricks, he is above the others.

Sherlock Holmes is a brain, but he is not working in a circus, he is working against the crime, into the most civilized and wealthy society of the whole world at his time: England and London. He is looking for the truth and find it, wherever it could be, "however improbable" it could be. Spite he is looking for the truth, he is not a part of any institution, and choose to tell the truth or not to the authorities, depending on the morality issue of the current affair (the second stain), Sherlock Holmes becomes a hero in these cases as he is not an employee of the crown.

Sherlock Holmes is a brain, oriented to the crime solving, he is harming himself, stopping to eat, when he doesn't find a solution, and he is sick without activity, pushing him to fill his empty time with dangerous substitution products (the sign of fours). Sherlock Holmes remains fragile and human, and so accessible, then lovable.

Sherlock Holmes is a brain, so he is an artist, in his profession and in his hobbies. He dramatizes the truth into a perfect way, shedding the light only at the time he chooses and the way he chooses, revealing elements in a certain order to get a spectacular result and so get admiration from the others (the silver blaze). He loves music, plays violin, his granduncle was French and painter from the Vernet Family (which had at least 3 generations of painters), and strongly believes that artist taste and talents are hereditary.

Sherlock Holmes is a brain, but he is alone, he has only one friend, the doctor Watson and a brother, Mycroft, he cannot reproduce himself and there is no way he gets a heir, the consequence is that he is becoming immortal, as well as a deity and can be worshipped..

Then does a person who is the most intelligent person working in his category, a hero, lovable, an artist both in his work and life, and who is subject to worship, deserve a good game based on his character? I think yes.
Sorry for this long demonstration, but I couldn't resist."