You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revange Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revange Review

Again, I think we all know that a review of this game isn't necessary, but I'm bored.
In the early 90s, Lucasarts ruled the gaming industry. No company could touch them, or even get near the juggernaut that was, and still is The Secret of Monkey Island. Lucasarts knew that they needed to make a sequal. Until it's realese in 1991, Monkey Island fans everywhere were drooling over the game. And when it came out it did not dissapiont. Adventure gamers were in awe from the incredible atmosphere, breathtaking music and graphics, and that great gameplay we all love. There is no doubt that this game was powerhouse among not just adventurers, but any other gamers as well. Of cource we have that arguement with the ending as well.
Again, I think you all know how this will turn out, but...

Here's my review of Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revange.

Story: The place where the Monkey Island series really shines is in it's story. The series tells great traditinal pirate legends, and MI2 is the game that does it the best.
Years have passed since Guybrush defeated the dreaded pirate LeChuck on Melee Island. And since then, Guybrush has been dating the love of his life, Govoner Elaine Marley. But at the same time, he feels as though he's a legend among pirates and is very cocky. For reasons unexplained, Elaine moves to a different Island and leaves Guybrush (trouble in bed, I guess). So, Guybrush finally has time to pirate around the Tri-Island Area. It's then that he hears about the Treasure of Big Whoop. The treasure is supposedly enoumous, and is burried on an uncharted desert Island (it's not Monkey Island). But it is until later that Guybrush discovers the deep, dark, horrible secret of Big Whoop. Still unaware of it's tretury in the beggining of the game, he hopes to learn more about the treasure. The problem is, he's stuck on Scabb Island, so he's planning on chartering a ship using all the booty he's collected over the years. However, it's all stolen by the local shake-downer, Largo LeGrande. Guybrush finds out that Largo was once LeChuck's right-hand man. But Guybrush doesn't worry. After all, LeChuck's dead, right..right? Wrong. He is brought back to life by his formor servent and boy, is he mad. Now Guybrush must find the four map pieces to Big Whoop and discover whatever it is to escape LeChuck forever!
As you can see, the story is a lot darker than the first, but MI2 still manages to retain the great humor, characters, settings, and even more of that awsome pirate mood...
Of cource, there is the ending, but that wont stop the Story from getting a 10/10

Graphics: About three years ago, I still thought that MI2 had the best graphics in any game ever. There is so much detail in everything and every setting. Esspecially the beutifull backgrounds. Once you catch an eyefull of this game, you get goosebumps because of the games incredible atmosphere. This is the pirateyest pirate game ever made. It's too good for words. That beutifull star-lit sky, the shores and ships out in the distance, the open sea, and the art during the intro credits. I love it!
Graphics get a 9/10

Sound/Music: As I said before, this game has the perfect pirate atmosphere. And it's all thanks to the music. MI2 has the greatest pirate shanty music ever. And also a great intro theme. This is the best music in any game ever. There's music in every room, making sound affect requirement minimum. Though I really would've liked to heard some of those MI1 sound affects. But still the music is flawless, and really diserved a soundtrack.
Music gets a 10/10

Gameplay: Monkey Island 2 features the same excact SCUMM as MI1, which is a good thing, since the interface is flawless. You have your nine actions and your basic inventory, which is all you need.
The puzzles remain true to the first MI: logical yet funny. The game is a little longer this time around too. Once again, the game is hilarious. Even getting stuck will keep you laughing if you look at all the objects in the room. MI2 also featured the best easter egg in any game: The Library. All the books in it have there own parodys and jokes within them. Making the game very enjoyable.
This was the second game in which you chose the dialog when you talked to people. Once again, this added more comedy to the game.
Gameplay gets a 10/10

There is no doubt that this is one of the best sequals ever. With it's hilarity, awesome pirate feel, and overall enjoyment. Though people always bag on the ending, I couldn't care less and still think this is a perfect game. I can't think of anything wrong at all. Chilling story, gorgious graphics, heavenly shantys, and flawless gameplay make MI2 one of the best games ever. Some people say that a sequal can never be as good as the original. Those people have obviously never played MI2.
I give Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revange a
10/10

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-31-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Old 07-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Except that Monkey 2 had a different scumm than Monkey 1.

Monkey 1 had text inventory, MI2 had a image inventory.

I know that you reviewed MI1 cd version, but before the MI2 scumm enhanced MI1, the scumm & inventory was like in Indy & the last crusade.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
SamNMax

I know.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:02 AM   #4
Burning

Old 07-31-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
SamNMax

Indeed

Old 07-31-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Except that Monkey 2 had a different scumm than Monkey 1.

Monkey 1 had text inventory, MI2 had a image inventory.

I know that you reviewed MI1 cd version, but before the MI2 scumm enhanced MI1, the scumm & inventory was like in Indy & the last crusade.
Why does everyone have to point crap like that out? I have that version of MI, too.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #7

SamNMax why don't you make a review of something that not everybody has played.
Not that it's a bad review but c'mon this isn't intresting, eveybody knows it's a great game.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:57 AM   #8
SamNMax

Yeah, I know. But I only write these reviews because I'm bored. I'm not hoping someone is going to use these reviews to consider buying the game, or find it usefull. I mean, all the games I've reviewed, you can't get anywhere.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Why does everyone have to point crap like that out? I have that version of MI, too.
I like to be a pain in your ag review threads
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

If you think MI2 has the best graphics of any game why did you give it a 9/10 for graphics why not just a ten?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:46 AM   #11
SamNMax

They were the best graphics I've seen. Besides, there is no such thing as perfect graphics.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #12
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
They were the best graphics I've seen. Besides, there is no such thing as perfect graphics.
What replaced it?
Old 09-04-2004, 01:48 AM   #13
Est. 1985

Nice review. I think at a push Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is my favourite game. It just outclasses so many other contenders because it shines in every department - you can't fault the musical score, the quality of the artwork/animation, the telling of the story, anything about it. I also think it's the most genuinely funny of the MI games. The last two MI games had their moments but nothing like the first two games, particularly Monkey Island 2 which still has me grinning like an idiot just thinking about some of the lines.

But this has all been said time and time again. Pretty much everyone agrees on the game's awesomeness, if not whether the ending is good or not (let's not get into that...). We should probably be seeing some reviews of lesser-known adventures, or maybe some fresh, alternative critical perspectives on games that are praised or slated all the time.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #14
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
What replaced it?
MI3, Grim Fandango, Syberia Series, ect..

Old 09-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #15

IMO MI2 is good but it's not 10/10 good. more like 8/10
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 09-04-2004, 10:44 AM   #16
SamNMax

Well, I actually really like those kinds of endings. They're clever and unexpected. That's why I gave it a ten.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:48 AM   #17
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
SamNMax why don't you make a review of something that not everybody has played.
Not that it's a bad review but c'mon this isn't intresting, eveybody knows it's a great game.
Quote:
Again, I think we all know that a review of this game isn't necessary, but I'm bored.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #18

.......................... :eek:

I understoot your first answer.