You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Gabriel Knight 3 - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #41
Jane Jensen fan

Finally! I thought I was the only one who thinks GK3 is the best adventure game made - ever! It's really nice to see that there are others like me out there...

Except for all the things that DomStLeger says in the review (I agree with everything, perhaps except for the ridiculousness of the moustache puzzle), I also like the way the controls work. I can spend several minutes in each location just "floating around", exploring every corner from different locations. Such freedom! However, I seem to be quite alone in this opinion, since no one has adopted this in newer games.

Instead, game designer seem to prefer the control system used in Grim Fandango (e.g. Broken Sword 3, Monkey Island 4). Even though I find GF to be a superb adventure game, I think exploring a world by moving the character around to every corner to see if he or she moves his/her head slightly is very inefficient and annoying.

Does anyone out there agree och disagree with me?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #42
Doctor Watson

I agree with you about the fact that Gabriel Knight 3 is awesome. But I didn't find direct control in Grim at all bad.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:30 AM   #43
23 Railway Cuttings

I'm not a fan of the first two GK games (I think GK2 is the most overrated game in AG history) but, like the first two, I dutifully bought a copy of the game to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And it has turned into one of those games where I'll install it, play it for a few hours, go away, come back and try to keep playing. But it just doesn't hold enough interest for me. So I end up uninstalling it and waiting another 6 months until I decide to install it again and give it just one more go.

I finally sold it in the end having never got out of the village in the first chapter.

And I'm glad, GLAD I tell you. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 11-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #44
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
I'm not a fan of the first two GK games (I think GK2 is the most overrated game in AG history) but, like the first two, I dutifully bought a copy of the game to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And it has turned into one of those games where I'll install it, play it for a few hours, go away, come back and try to keep playing. But it just doesn't hold enough interest for me. So I end up uninstalling it and waiting another 6 months until I decide to install it again and give it just one more go.

I finally sold it in the end having never got out of the village in the first chapter.

And I'm glad, GLAD I tell you. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I think that GK3 is the worst of the series, as it feels rushed (which is very strange, considering how ridiculously delayed it was). However, I still feel that the GK games are easily the best Sierra adventure games, and easily one of the best 'serious' adventure series...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 AM   #45
Evil Webmaster

Gabriel Knight 3 is definitely the worst in the series, there's no denying that, but still it's not a bad game at all. It has it's pretty annoying moments, some puzzles that are stupid and difficult at the same time, and perhaps the worst graphics of the series considering how it lookes aged now. Even so it has a damn good story, great moments and an arcade finale that didn't bother me that much like it did in GK2.

Even so I agree with whoever said that the movement in that game was better than GF and EFMI, the only thing I didn't like was the wait when the character had to get out of certain rooms. It took forever.
So there you go
Old 11-27-2004, 11:09 PM   #46

Default My opinion

Hi,

Gabriel Knight 3 I would say 10/10 in story, MUCH MUCH better than Gabriel 1 (I haven't played 2 yet unfortunately), but gameplay 7/10, GK1 was MUCH better in gameplay. Graphics? they are good 8/10.

Basically, the voice overs and overall atmosphere of GK1 are much better and in generall it's my favorite atmosphere ever created in an adventure game.

However, the story of Gabriel Knight 3 is probably *the best* I have ever seen in an adventure game.

In overall GK3 is one of the best adventure games ever, basically because of its story and atmosphere created by it.

The graphics are a bit tiring because that was the "first era" of 3d engines but nothing I couldn't cope with. The music was perfect, maybe as good as GK1's.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:15 AM   #47
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Personally GK3 is my favourite game in the GK series. But for MDMaster to call it the worst of the series probably isn't as terrible as it first sounds. All 3 are very good games in their own right, and have earned Jensen a well deserved reputation as a masterful story teller.

I agree with you in general Fateswarm. But I found the atmosphere on GK3 more appealing myself. I think it might just be down to the technical side though, with the 3D environment for me being better at creating the sense of a real french village than the 2D environment managed to recreate New Orleans. The strength with GK3 is that you could believe there was a valley there that you the player were exploring. I think the controls added to this, as you could pretty much freely explore the different locations as if you were there and not just stood at a fixed location. But it's just personal preference in the end, I suppose.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!