You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Mystery Manor review of Aura: Fate of the Ages

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Mystery Manor review of Aura: Fate of the Ages

Hot off the presses. See it here.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

very nice review.
I'm defiantly interested in this game

Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Banned User

Ahhhh.... so noification of reviews by some AG websites end up on the front page, while announcement of others is relegated to the dusty Members' Reviews section of the forum.

Figures.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Ahhhh.... so noification of reviews by some AG websites end up on the front page, while announcement of others is relegated to the dusty Members' Reviews section of the forum.

Figures.
Yes, it does, actually.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Actually, it had never crossed my mind until last night that links to reviews SHOULD be moved to this forum, as that is the purpose of this forum. The lightbulb went on in my head and I decided to move it. It was late though, and I didn't really feel like going through the older threads on the adventure forum and moving reviews that had been posted previously from there to here. I promise to be more consistent in the future.

If someone's looking for a review, this is the logical place that they're going to look.

emily
Old 07-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #6

I'm sorry if this is going to be off-topic but I noticed in the review that The Mystery Manor Critic noted that TAC did not ship StarForce with the game, and that there's been a public outcry with this copy protection system. I have to ask you guys, how come everyone hates StarForce?. I think it's understandable that TAC doesn't want people trying to copy the games onto different discs, and I respect them for that decision, but I have not once had anyproblems with that copy protection system.

Two games that I have from TAC are shipped with StarForce, and they are Broken Sword 3, and the Black Mirror. The first time, I ran the StarForce code so I could start playing Broken Sword 3, it recognized the games' files, and I was able to start playing the game.

I guess I'm one of the few people who haven't had this problem, yet, and I guess I'm just surprised to see that there's been a lot of negative reaction about this Copy Protection System.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

You clearly know the answer to your own question. The reason so many people are frustrated with it is because many people have had problems with it. Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean the system is faulty. You said you own two working Starforce-equipped games. That small success is hardly proof that the scheme works.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
I have to ask you guys, how come everyone hates StarForce?.
Because starforce can cause problems. I had it once (won't go in details) Basically, if it's easier to get a game which you illegally download from the internet to work than getting the original game to work, then there's a big problem.

To stay on topic, good review. I really am interested in this game, it really looks beautiful and is not even so expensive. Which is always nice.

Garion
Old 08-03-2004, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Hot off the presses. See it here.
Nice... I've been recently converted to Myst-like AGs (it's so good to play those with someone else and smelling two brains melting... ahh, Schizm and its maths puzzles... :eek: ), so I guess I'll try this one out as soon as I find the time to go to a game store.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:11 AM   #10
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion1000
Basically, if it's easier to get a game which you illegally download from the internet to work than getting the original game to work, then there's a big problem.
Hit the nail on the head there. My copy of Black Mirror worked perfectly on my PC, but my Dad's copy wouldn't work on his (just kept crashing to the Desktop). He is not a techie, but (un)luckily I am and spent the best part of 2 hours finding articles on the internet to try and solve the problem (The Adventure Company's forums were unavailable - probably due to overloading with requests from poor b*stards like me who bought games with their flawed protection system). There is no solution out there, except the illegal one of downloading a patched EXE and installing that - which is what I did - so I am waiting for TAC's lawyers to sue me (assuming that is that they aren't offline as well...)
Old 10-13-2004, 04:45 AM   #11

So I bought Aura, played Aura, and finished Aura.
It would have been a fine game except... IT'S THE END ALREADY??????
1 very small world, 2 normal and one... ridiculously small, and that's it, the end. Besides, I spend more than half my playing time (something like 15 hours) pixel hunting.
This game was charming and everything but so short. I'm definetly not satisfied.