You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble (Review)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble (Review)

When you mention Coktel Vision the 1st thing that comes to your mind apart from it being a Subsidiary Part of Sierra's Golden Age of Adventure Gaming is Gobliiins (trilogy) and secondly The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble .
The game was released 1994 and it was a sort of breakthrough for Adventure Gaming at that time ,especially for Sierra_Online ,due to the elimination of verbs scrolling interface to a simple one left click . which Sierra used at their later on developed games Such KQ7 and SQ6.
as fun as it would seem but at that time the game hadn't got as much credits for that, as well as understanding and success, which i see unfair as this game controls had been taken as a reference for many years later in lots of developed Adventures maybe until this current day.

A game with this one mouse click control had limited the gaming exploration to only active and inactive spots ,which was not the common theme of Adventure Gaming (at that Time), when you had the choice to look and interact with every little thing shown at every scene, however/whatever the reply you would get from your avatar was! you could try to Lick the wall ,take the door ,or even try to talk to a Rock.
For sure all these frustrating and useless combination had been cut down, but for me i still think i lost some a bit of the fun which allowed me to try every little stupid combination out there(imo).

The story as it goes from the start describes how humanity has finally returned to the surface of the Earth after living near the planet's core for centuries following a nuclear war to discover a peaceful race mutants called Boozooks living in the middle of the jungles that now cover the whole world. The humans easily overpower the world again and the Boozooks as well, killing many of them while enslaving the rest.

The game starts with a scene inside a small house, where Woodruff (our hero) just a little baby mutant playing with his teddy bear on a table, while another man presumed to be his father works on a contraption (looks like a pair of headphones). Suddenly, someone breaks in, and Woodruff's father as fast jams the contraption onto his son's head and hide him into a box. the father get knocked out and dragged away, all that while Woodruff watches in horror from his hiding place.
your playing and control over Woodruff starts within moments of this terrible event, woodruff transformed into a teenager ,unable to remember anything ,who he is? or what has just happened?, only one thing clear in Woodruff's mind is the word "Schnibble" .

as you move on into the world of Woodruff's the more things around you and the goals become clearer.

The Game really could not had been titled any thing but Bizarre, from the weird characters ,the Strange voices and warped humor to the layout of classic adventure gaming that will challenge even the most experienced player.
new Adventure gamers would be annoyed with Woodruff slow movement and there is no double clicking featured to a fast jump into the next screen as well .

The puzzles of the game are downright hysterical (Bizarre) with a lot of interesting (original) inventory ones, were nothing is what it seems.
The inventory itself is always easily accessed by one right mouse click. which (uncommonly) has no Inventory combining feature within.

The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble holds more than 14 hours of playing with a great story, great humor and above all challenging puzzles that will kick you back right to the great classic days of the early Adventuring.

The Game comes with a cartoon-like appearance similar in art style and design to the Gobliiins series ,it is fully Voiced and such great voice acting as well, but some issues with the Subtitles as the game was not Originally released with, but all that fixed now with Help Of SCUMMVM that directly can be found from the solution for most of Sierra's classic games that came with a DOS interpreter which you can find/download at:
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Up...nstallers.html

The game is a much fun Adventure to play even now after almost more than 16 years of its release.

thanks for reading
Reviewed By Advie.1
Attached Images

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-29-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

There's no denying your enthusiasm for the game.

You probably want to put in a bit more about the look and the sound. It sounds like the game is fully voiced based on one comment. I don't suppose you have access to a copy of the game to post some screenshots as well. Nothing like a few visual aids to really carry the feel of a game across.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Advie.1

Thanks for the advices Steve, i made some editing to the review upon them.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Advie.1

is there a reason why no one posted anything over this Review... is it that BAD?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

I wouldn't let it worry you. It is usually only the more well-known games that get a lot of follow-up posts in Reader Reviews. Whilst this does sound like an interesting little game, it is probably a bit obscure for many.

As for the content, I think you've hit all the main points. Could use a bit of polish and I'd be keen on a bit more detail in places but not bad for a first try.

Have you read through any of the site reviews? The sterling work of our editor-in-chief ensures they are polished productions and they may help if you fancy trying again. This one might be a good one to start with.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Filmfreak

*adding this to my list of games to play (if I'll be able to find a copy, that is)
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #7

I love Woodruff, I even have him in my profile:

I find the game way underrated. It offers lots of neat ideas (the plot and Tobozon itself is a great fun), not to mention an extraordinary amount of animations. I wouldn't call it a breakthrough though, as the one-pointer was used before in other Coktel games, Kyrandias, Myst, Loom, etc. Yet the wackiness is truly unique. HERE IS a collection of some of the most hilarious moments from the game.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post

Have you read through any of the site reviews? The sterling work of our editor-in-chief ensures they are polished productions and they may help if you fancy trying again. This one might be a good one to start with.
Ooh that is YOU ... sure i read almost all the reviews here ...and that one too but since i didnt play the that game in 1st place ,i was not much concerned about it ... i will play and then i can really learn from you Mr. Steve the way for a good Crafted review....

and one More thing Jackal or Mr.Jack told me about the reader's reviews Upgrade that upcoming soon ... i will do my best to make as much reviews (and surely this Woodruff wont be the last) until i can make a quality review that is up to your and the AG's reviewers standard ....

I would like to thank you Steve and Jack and Marek for giving me the time and the attention and the feedback that is actually helped me so much and above that made me feel like home... God Bless you Guys

Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
*adding this to my list of games to play (if I'll be able to find a copy, that is)
here is an Amazon Copy i found for you Movieman,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000F6RAOS//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20

or if this link did not work ..go to mobygames and follow the link there
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/...-the-schnibble

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
here is an Amazon Copy i found for you Movieman,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000F6RAOS//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20

or if this link did not work ..go to mobygames and follow the link there
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/...-the-schnibble
Thanks for the links, but it's at the back of my list, and there's 75 other games in front of it. Maybe in a year or two...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #11

Thanx for the review Advie, i've always thought "Reader Reviews" section is unjustly less popular (where is Ursulla? ), so a little "spicing" is nice.

As for the game, i have it on my radar for some time, although i've heard bad (good?) things about the game being quite difficult.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!