Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Reader Reviews (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/reader-reviews/)
-   -   A Few pointers : Portal 2 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/reader-reviews/30272-few-pointers-portal-2-a.html)

Ursulla 01-01-2012 04:03 PM

A Few pointers : Portal 2

I remember playing Portal 1 few years back and was completely blown away by the fantastic gameplay...
It was something never seen before...The imagination and creativity put into the game was a refreshing wind to the decaying adventure genre...
Playing as Guinea pig against a diabolic Artificial Intelligence using portals to beat all kinds of obstacles placed cleverly to test your wits has been really the best adventure I played up to that point...
Portal 1 was the first course for Portal 2...By the time Portal 2 arrived I completely left adventures games looking for new challenges & excitements...
I'm all for puzzles but I also like to mix action into the game to make it more challenging...
Sitting in front of the screen not moving a muscle trying to solve puzzles could take you only a few miles....
Portal 2 managed to beat all other adventure games in its popularity without a noticeable effort simply because it is unique,one of its kind in a league of its own...
And yet while playing Portal 2 I had a sneaking feeling that it was a missed opportunity for the greatest Video Game of all times...
The sense of novelty that came with Portal 1 was not there anymore...Sure I had to scratch my head a few times trying to figure out the solution...But the more I played the more I wanted it to end...The challenge was not accompanied with the excitement of solving the puzzles...

Portal 1 came in condensed dose with a great impact...Portal 2 for me was a bit chewed theme trying to squeeze out all drops of pleasure of that successful formula...
I think that if instead you were a secret agent using a teleporting machine of portals trying to sneak behind armed guards beating the crap out of them,infiltrating into buildings doing all kinds of sneaking maneuvers to knocking silently opponents,making them fall into portals under their feet would be more satisfying experience than just repeat the same old stuff already done in the first game...
Portal 2 could have been the greatest sneaker action game...
As it is ,it has been a good game but not great...For those who never played the first game it
is a great game...For me it's a missed opportunity..
My final verdict : Like a chewing gum,at first you indulge in its new flavour(Portal 1),then you add another gum into your mouth(Portal 2) to enhance the taste but ultimately putting two gums in your mouth make your jaw getting tired faster and the taste wear off eventually making you spit the gum in disgust....Well I didn't get into that, that's why I havn't played the Co-op mode...
My final score : 80
Cheers ;)