You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A Few Pointers: Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
NO senior just Senorita..

Default A Few Pointers: Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure

Just finished it... Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure
Here are a few personal impressions...
First let me say it is a valid adventure recognized by the mighty officials here in this site and you can find it under "Games A-Z " category...
The game is also known by other name - Little Big Adventure 1 (There is a sequal...) made in 1994 in France...
This game is highly rated at Gamespot: 166 users have been giving it (Yea,me too) an average score of 9.2 which makes it one of the top ten adventures of all times...There aren't many adventures which can top that....

So what's the deal with this game and why is it so succesful?

The game has a great atmosphere fully voiced acting ...One of the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game...Such fun and humorous...the Characters are so loveable that is always delight hearing them again and again...
The animation of the characters is another major success...
The game is not a point and click one....It is a an action-advenure game played entirely by your keyboard (Ctrl,Shift,Alt,Space)...

Twinsen our hero has four modes of animation and interacting with the world...

1) Normal-here you are doing all the usuall stuff a hero does...like talking and interactig with objects...
2) RUN-in this mode Twinsen run like an olympic athlete...You are going to be very careful in this mode since everytime he hits something he losses his balance susceptible to his enemies who can kill him easily...But if you are a capable runner you can avoid all kinds of mischief....In this mode Twinsen is also capable of jumping...
3) Stealth-In this mode the music and animation changes accordingly...here you can avoid all kinds of troubles by moving slowly on your toes...here you can also kneel down to be less conspicuous by enemies and creatures which walk by...
4) Aggressive-here Twinsen fights and kicks like a kung-Fu fighter...later on in the game he acquires a powerful sword that makes him fights like a Ninja...

The whole game resolves around those modes... and solving all kinds of puzzles depends on the right mode you choose...

The gameplay thus is highly addictive and immersive...Your mind is always alert and active since there is a whole world alive around you and you must respond to it with the right mode of behaviour...

The Story
A vicious tyran rules the world with his soldiers and clones ,captures your beloved darling and you go on a pilgrimage quest to get rid of him and return your girl home...In this quest you are going to join the rebels who would help you with your holy mission...You are going to cover a lot of land and sea,visit lots of places...

In this game you search for money to buy useful items to help you on your dangerous journey...

You also must find ways of travelling from island to island...There are a few different mobile vehicles available for you to travel(Even a Dragon !!)...

You use a magic ball that acts like a Boomerang to hit your enemies from a safe distance...You get four levels of specialty of using it...With a different mode you throw it differently...

You search for mana to keep you going in your magic craft...

You also need to take care of your life and acquire health items to keep your life bar as high as possible...

In this game you are going to be very busy I can assure you that....

It's not an easy game to beat....There will be moments of frustrations since your enemies are not suckers and you are going to need your best cunning behaviour to survive here...

You have inventory where you manipulate all kinds of cool gadgets...(Like a walking robot Penguin that walks innocently towards guards who thinks to amuse themselves by shooting at it like a shooting duck(but it's not a living creature...)and actually it is a self-destructive mechanism with a timer that when explodes is very effective...)What is this game,James Bond or what the heck is it ?

Saving is done automatically each time you enter a different zone but you must backup your saves since in any given minute you can die...and you don't want to start the same zone with poor health and mana believe me...

Visuals : You watch all the action from above (isometric view) like you do in many RPG games...

There is a whole bunch of army of soldiers ,creatures,clones,robots,tanks,machine guns and torrets trying to vaporize you...Are you up for it ?Chances are against you....

Very Useful Tip : When you walk towards the edge of the screen ,it does not roll to show you what's expecting you there...You must always press on Enter to center the screen around Twinsen...That way you can plan a ahead....

Best Puzzle
Stealing a key out of Pirate Chest in a Museum heavily guarded...This Puzzle is a true masterpiece that could directly taken for a blockbuster Holywood movie...Thumbs up for that one....

Best Action Sequence
A rebel equipped with grenades is joing you on a mission to find a secret passage through a snowy mountains...Here you must work together in co-operation and co-ordination...You must, not only keep yourself alive,but much more difficult is to prevent any harm happened to your companion or else...That one was quite tough...

The Big Boss Fight : Wouldn't you want to know...You are all alone in the dark here....

My final verdict : A challenging & immersive experience that should not be overlooked by any serious gamer...Casual gamers should stay away from it as it would make them humble...

My final Score: 80

Last edited by Ursulla; 04-07-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Game Creator Hobbyist

I have LBA2, which I liked a lot, but it got too difficult for me when the baddies arrived on the planet and started shooting at me everywhere, so I haven't finished it.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I have LBA2, which I liked a lot, but it got too difficult for me when the baddies arrived on the planet and started shooting at me everywhere, so I haven't finished it.
I have read that LBA1 is more difficult than the sequal but LBA2 got better scores ...9.4 by 448 voters at Gamespot which makes it at the top 5 Adventures list of all times...and I'm planning on beating it as I did with LBA1...

Last edited by Ursulla; 04-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursulla View Post
I have read that LBA1 is more difficult than the sequal but LBA2 got better scores
That's what I've heard too, so I'm not going to look for LBA, even though I don't doubt that it's charming. There were rumours of a third game for a while. Supposedly the story was done for it, but it never happened. That would have been nice. I really love the style of the game, which is quite distinct.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
That's what I've heard too, so I'm not going to look for LBA, even though I don't doubt that it's charming. There were rumours of a third game for a while. Supposedly the story was done for it, but it never happened. That would have been nice. I really love the style of the game, which is quite distinct.
LBA 1 is a true charmer and I'm surprised that you started playing from LBA2...I have never started any series of games other than the first...

Regarding LBA3...Here you go...

http://www.littlebigadventure3.com/
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursulla View Post
I'm surprised that you started playing from LBA2...I have never started any series of games other than the first...
I'm usually like that, too, and like to play, watch or read things from the beginning, but I bought this one in a store when it was new. It looked interesting, and there was naturally no LBA next to it. (I may had already heard about the difficulty of the first game, too.)
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #7

Just celebrating my 200th post by revising my latest "Few Pointers" with a new edited colorful revision...