Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Reader Reviews (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/reader-reviews/)
-   -   Death Gate (Reviews) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/reader-reviews/25543-death-gate-reviews.html)

Adventurer4Life 09-23-2009 03:42 AM

Death Gate (Reviews)

Ok... well here we go again.. and this time I am doing Death Gate. A Legend Interactive game and a terrific example of how incredibly well designed puzzles and interaction with the game world can overcome age. This is retro gaming in a nutshell. Based on The Death Gate Cycle this game brings a terrific story, has extremely good conversations trees and voice over's, brilliant game design and even some genre first game devices now common place in game. Though this game did it first.

Well this is my last review for the time being (I tend to do them in 2s for some reason) and I hope you like it. The Policenauts review was a little rushed as it was an after though. I was in fact working on The Cornels' Bequest, but thought it would be good to get that review out while the game was in its current resurgence of popularity due to the recent release of the English fansub.

I think I am finally starting to get these reviews working as I wish, as in fitting in most of the commentary I wish to fit in.. I am even under 10 min this time :) I feel this is my best review so far.

Anyway.. I hope you like it
Have fun and Happy Adventuring
A4L

YouTube = Death Gate (Review)
YouTube Direct Link MP4 (32meg) - download
YouTube Direct Link HD MP4 (152meg) - download

Adventurer4Life 09-23-2009 04:25 PM

I made a HUGE error in this video and said INFOGRAM instead of INFOCOM... no idea how I missed this during the editing.... the entire spiel about text adventure should make sense now :) The new version is exactly the same but has this error fixed.... sorry guys... no one is perfect :)

I have edited the original post to the new URL locations.

YouTube = Death Gate (Review)
YouTube Direct Link MP4 (32meg) - download
YouTube Direct Link HD MP4 (152meg) - download

AFGNCAAP 09-26-2009 02:46 PM

Good review of one of my favourite games (so I am glad you recommend it so fiercely). I hope it makes at least one previously-unaware YouTube user track down this classic. You managed to either mention or show its most memorable features: the magic system, user-friendly puzzles, epic scope and wealth of interesting characters (seriously, I thought the *dog* from Death Gate had shown more personality than most games' human protagonists).

I'd say you spent too much time on tangential info about Unreal Engine, though. And much too much on Haplo's voice and "the fix", considering there is (if I remember correctly) an option to turn it off while keeping other voices on. ;)

Also, I dig your voice and accent. I suppose you must have been already told you sound just like Doctor Chase in House TV show? :D

Also also, if you want more Legend fix (and own the game), there is a Blackstone Chronicles (with Henry "Xar" Strozier as the villain!) playthrough elsewhere in the forums just starting up.

Adventurer4Life 09-26-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP (Post 524825)
I'd say you spent too much time on tangential info about Unreal Engine, though. And much too much on Haplo's voice and "the fix", considering there is (if I remember correctly) an option to turn it off while keeping other voices on. ;)

I know that the stuff about unreal wasn't really relevant, but I did want to stress that the lead designer of this game is now involved in one of the most successfully engine developments of current times, as a way to enforce my comments on the design elements in Death Gate. I think the unreal part is only about 30 seconds long.. but I totally understand your valid point.

As for the "option" thing... I had no idea that was possible... I just checked and it IS possible... in fact I never even opened the option screen... Thanks for the tip... next time I do one I will take the time to go though the options.... this is a bit embarrassing.. oh well..

Quote:

Also, I dig your voice and accent. I suppose you must have been already told you sound just like Doctor Chase in House TV show? :D

You know out of all the comments I get after I started this little hobby project.. people commenting on my voice as being nice was totally unexpected, is very flattering and in a way sort of embarrassing... I am shocked at how often it happens.. I have even been asked to do a voice over in a homebrew adventure game lol

Quote:

Also also, if you want more Legend fix (and own the game), there is a Blackstone Chronicles (with Henry "Xar" Strozier as the villain!) playthrough elsewhere in the forums juhst starting up.

I have all the Legend games and they are all amazingly good imo. I have no idea why Legends has sort of fallen off the radar. I chose Death Gate, not cause it was the best of the lot... I think I prefer Shannara personally, but because I thought that the Death Gate in addition to being a great game probably has a larger fan bases from the book series... probably a silly decision in retro spec.. but I figured they Death Gate is so good... no one would really pick up on that.. heheh... who was I kidding :)

I love constructive comments like yours... thanks for taking the time.
A4L

PS - I will added your Haplo voice thing into a comment on the video

orient 09-26-2009 07:50 PM

I must say, I had never heard of Legend Entertainment or any of their games before. The graphics look really nice and the spell mechanic is a pretty ingenious idea that, I guess has been in other adventures, but I've never played them so it's new to me. Good informative review - and by another Aussie, too ;)