You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Shadow of the Comet (Youtube)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #1

Default Shadow of the Comet (Youtube)

Hello...

I'm back!! Been away and now I'm not an now here is a new Review!! Hope you guys like it. Again I kinda ran out of room on this one.. so it is a little rushed at the end... also I had a terrible time trying to work out what I could show and what I couldn't. Shadow of the Comet is so subtle that most of the "cool" stuff is needed to be seen during a play though otherwise the game will be spoiled. So the visuals are not as exciting as some of my other ones.

Anyway I hope you like it!!

Shadow of the Comet. A Infograms games and a real masterpiece that suffers greatly by uninvolved game design concepts. These flaws are expected to not exist by today's gamers. Things like game blocks, location dependant items, strict quest progression orders... still even with these problems Shadow of the Comet is one of the shinning examples from the Adventure game genre of how to make a truly creepy and interesting horror game. One that is scary though story, not though showing gore or cheap "startle scares" Like the works of H.P. Lovecraft that this game emulates Shadow of the Comet is a cerebral horror story of subtle vision.

If you are a avid adventure game player I strongly advise you play this amazing game. Though if you are more casual then the drawbacks of the interface and the aforementioned game blocks will most likely be to much for you.

YouTube = Shadow of the Comet (Review)
YouTube Direct Link MP4 (32meg) - download
YouTube Direct Link HD MP4 (152meg) - download

Last edited by Adventurer4Life; 08-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Thanks for a great review! It actually inspired me to put this game on my playlist. Previously I'd only seen a few pics and they looked quite dull, but seeing some locations in action have made me willing to give it a chance (if I ever manage to find it that is).

One question about your review though, I'd really like to know what movies those clips are from. I've read some of Lovecrafts work but i wasn't aware that so many movies were based on it, I would love to see some of them.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorell View Post
Thanks for a great review! It actually inspired me to put this game on my playlist.
Thanks... i was worried that the review came out a bit to negative. I am glad it makes you want to play the game as that was sort of the goal. I think this game is just amazing from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorell View Post
I'd really like to know what movies those clips are from.
In Order
(These are all top movies for horror fans btw.. spesh 1st Re-Animator)
  • The Mist
  • Dagon
  • Beyond Reaminator (3rd in a series: 1) Reanimator (must see) 2) Bride of Reanimator
  • Hellboy
  • Phantoms
  • In the Mouth of Madness
  • The Unnameable
  • Necronomicon
  • Evil Dead

Also here are some cool links I found while surfing YouTube ages ago...

Lovecraft @ the Movies

H.P Lovecraft Radio Show Documentary
1 2 3 4 5
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

Wow, thats quite a list. Much appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Cool review. I remember playing this game into the wee hours of the morning with a friend years ago. We played it on our separate computers as well, always phoning each other when we had figured out something else. It took months to get anywhere as the game is bloody difficult. Great fun though. And freaky.