You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Another Code: R (Wii)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
full of tricks

Default Another Code: R (Wii)

Finished the game recently, and thought I do a write up on it. I was bored. It's rather lengthy and rough.

As of writing, this game is only available in Japan and parts of Europe (Including UK). Nintendo of America has no plans of releasing this for North America.

Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories

Release: Out Now in Europe(June 26th '09)
System: Wii
Developer: Cing

Official Website (UK): http://www.anothercode.co.uk/

Another Code: R is a sequel to Another Code: Two Memories (aka Trace Memory in America) that was released back in 2005 on the Nintendo DS. I would recommend you to play the first game on the DS before you try this game. The sequel makes a few references to the first game. If you can't then don't worry, the game does give a brief overview of some of the previous events.

Another Code: R is set two years after the first game, and once again you play as Ashley Mizuki Robins. The setting this time is Lake Juliet, where she plans to pay her dad a visit.

As soon as she gets off the bus everything goes wrong for Ashley. Her bag gets stolen, and her dad is nowhere to be seen. As you travel around, you will get to talk to different people and visit different areas of Lake Juliet. But there seems to be a lot more about the place than meets the eye, as she starts to uncover the secrets behind her mother and Project Another.

Not long after her bag get's stolen, you will get to control Ashley. Whilst the game uses 3D models, moving Ashley around the area is mostly a 2D affair. The game only allows you to move left and right on a set path, this is done by either using the D-Pad or pointing the arrows on the screen using the Wii Remote. Occasionally it will let you change paths when you reach a junction, and the camera angle will swiftly change back to it's 2D position once you do that. You can use the Wii Remote cursor to interact with objects you might find interesting on the screen during these segments of exploration.

During the 'indoor' areas, the camera switches to an 'over-the-shoulder' camera perspective to let you explore the room. It's mostly 'point and clicking' during these segments, you can only interact with objects that are highlighted when moving the cursor over them. The camera angle is fixed to one side of the room until change it, which can be done by clicking on the arrows on either side of the screen and Ashley will turn round to look at the other areas of the room. It's all rather simple, but intuitive at the same time.

The 2D left/right controls may seem like a step backwards in gaming mechanics, but this is one of the few games that I've enjoyed exploring with. The simple left/right controls gives you the chance to soak in the beautiful environments Lake Juliet has to offer. This is one the most visually pleasing games you will see on the Wii. It really does look like watercolour art coming to life. Seeing Ashley running with the beautiful backdrop behind her, accompanied with the music, is one of the most relaxing moments you will experience in a videogame. The music may not be memorable, but it blends well with the mood and scenery of the game.

As with their previous efforts, the developer wants to tell a story to the player. This game is no different, and you will be going through lots of dialog - and I mean LOTS. You will have many conversations with the residents of Lake Juliet, and if reading isn't your thing then you won't like this next bit - The game does not have any voice acting. I don't have any problems with that, but for some people that is enough reason to not play the game. Personally I'm glad it doesn't have voice acting, I'm not too sure I can sit through an entire game listening to a 16 year old girl who has daddy issues!

Still, the purpose of voice acting is to relay the emotions of a character. To compensate for this, Cing have done an excellent job with the character animations. When talking to people you get to see both Ashley and the other character on the screen, and you will get to see all sorts of facial and body expressions from both characters. It makes the dialog a bit more interesting to sit through.

For those that have played Another Code or Hotel Dusk on the DS, the parts that stand out from them is probably the puzzles. Let me tell you, Cing have not been slacking off in this department - You will find yourself scratching your head a few times. Like most adventure games you'll be picking up items and using them, although you won't be able to pick them up until you encounter certain situations. Also, the items usually aren't too far away from where you need them. I don't remember having to do much back tracking in order to solve a puzzle.

Cing have taken full advantage of the Wii motion controls, you'll be turning handles and shaking test tubes. The real meat of the puzzles comes in the form of the TAS, a device which is important in both the story and gameplay - and also conveniently shaped as a Wii Remote. The TAS is used in order to gain access to different rooms and areas, this is done by pressing the certain buttons on your Wii Remote in a sequence the TAS tells you to. It may sound simple enough, but as you progress through the game it gets tougher and tougher to figure out. I don't want to spoil too much about the puzzles, but there are a few of them that will put a grin to your face once you figure them out.

The one major fault with this game is it's slow pace. I've already mentioned that you need to go through a huge amount of dialog, and they do add to the story development. But at times they feel rather bloated and long-winded. Nothing really dramatic happens to move the plot forward, it's all rather slow and steady until the last couple of chapters. The story won't exactly leave you on the edge of your seat either, since a lot of the game deals with family relationship issues. But not that many games tread in this area, and there were some touching and heart warming scenes in the game. The story did just enough for me to see through the game until the end, but I can easily see someone else losing interest half way through.

In the end it was an enjoyable experience, the positives mostly outweigh the flaws. I've had lots of funs with some of the puzzles, and the game looks fantastic. But I felt the story needed a bit more to it, and the amount of text can be off putting for some. This sounds really cliche, but the game is a hit or miss for some. It's gotten mixed reviews, the worst I've seen is Edge magazine giving it a 4/10 score. It really depends on how well you deal with the amount of text it throws at you. I managed to finish the game at around 13hrs, which is already a big improvement from the first game (You can probably finish that in less than 5hrs). The game also lets you save after you complete it, and you can load the save file to play through again. I've not tried it myself but I presume you get extras from playing through it again.

7/10
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Thanks for the review and your thougths about the game!
I'm definitely going to get this game soon, can't wait to play a new adventure from Cing!

The Swedish gaming magazine Level also gave it 4/10, but then again, they called Hotel Dusk a bad game which strongest feature was to have copied the Aha music video for Take on me
Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

I think its pretty cool how they took great advantage of the motion controls. Theres some awesome things you could add into adventures with those things.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

The review pretty much sums up my own feelings about the game so far (I'd guess I'm at about the mid way point). I'd say I have a pretty reasonable patience threshold when it comes to games, but I have to admit the pacing in this one is seriously testing me...the only reason I know I'm not going to give up on it is the experience I had with CINGs pervious games (i.e. the first Another Code and Hotel Dusk) which I found pretty hard going early on but once the plot kicked in to fifth gear I found them almost impossible to put down. I think the main issue with the dialogue is that there just seems to be so much of it that's unnecessary, there have been some occasions where I've felt I'm having the same conversation over and over again.

I think the puzzles that are there are decent but they're just far too sparse, and I also feel it would be nice for the game to be a little more non-linear, I don't think that would have hurt the story too much, at least no more than the current dialogue situation.

That said I think the technology is great, and Lake Juliet is a very atmospheric location. I'd love to see a Hotel Dusk sequel using the same game engine, maybe set in a town rather than just a small hotel (given the larger scope that the Wii offers.) I'd say a Hotel Dusk update on the Wii has a fairly decent chance of happening, given they've just done that with Another Code, and also they left the ending of the original Hotel Dusk fairly open, I just hope if CING do decide to make one they make sure to take note of the criticisms that Another Code R has incurred.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!

Last edited by The Seed; 07-20-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
full of tricks

There was one aspect of the story which I was pretty disappointed in:

Spoiler:

The conclusion to Matt's storyline seemed lazy to me. The story built it up as if there was going to be a big twist about his dad, but it ended up in such a way it made me feel like it was a rather pointless side-story.

Ashley's story was good, but it only started to get interesting near the end.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #6

I imported this game from the UK a couple of weeks ago but haven't had the chance to play it yet. I'm a huge Cing fan, so I'll definitely read you review and post my thoughts on the game once I'm done
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #7

If you are or any huge fan, play glassrose if hasnt already, best cing game, infact arguably best adventure game that overlooked most.

I just came to know that modded wiis cant run EU games damn, i am stuck i was planning it buy it with RE darksidechronicles this fall.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
If you are or any huge fan, play glassrose if hasnt already, best cing game, infact arguably best adventure game that overlooked most.
I've been meaning to try out Glass Rose, but I've got too many other games I want to play through at the moment. It's gonna be a while until I finally get to it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
I just came to know that modded wiis cant run EU games damn, i am stuck i was planning it buy it with RE darksidechronicles this fall.
I heard other people have been using the Homebrew channel to play the game, but it's not something I'm too familiar about.

Not only that, you need to make sure if your TV can handle PAL output