You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A Swan Song for Bobbin: A Review of Loom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #1

Default A Swan Song for Bobbin: A Review of Loom

GAME TITLE: Loom
COMPANY: LucasArts
DESIGNER: Brian Moriarty

Loom was probably one of the most unique adventure games LucasArts has ever released. Designed by Brian Moriarty (with Orson Scott Card as one of the writers), who also designed several Infocom games, Using a minimalist 'one-click' interface, you play as Bobbin Threadbare, a young Weaver who goes off on an adventure to explore the world around him. Throughout the game, you learned different spells that had to be cast by playing musical notes on a staff. Despite the simplistic interface, the game is fun to play and has such a unique variety of places to visit that it's one of the more memorable LucasArts graphic adventures ever made.

As a technical note, I have only played the disk version of Loom. LucasArts also released a CD-ROM version with voices that also came with a second CD that had an audio drama; I have not had the pleasure of playing through this version of the game.

STORY

Playing as Bobbin Threadbare, a Weaver who looks like a wizard carrying a gnarled staff while wearing a grey cloak, the plot of the game unfolds gradually. In fact, a lot of the game is wandering from location to location, solving puzzles along the way; the plot is memorable, but it's done in a subtle way. There are characters to talk to in this adventure, but it's certainly not as dialogue heavy as many LucasArts games.

From the simple introduction when a sprite talks to you and the last leaf falls from a barren tree to the ending that just cries out for a sequel which never was made, the story is rather memorable. Loom is a short game, but a very fun one as well.

PUZZLES

The puzzles in Loom are pretty easy for the most part. Most of them deal with casting spells via a music-note based interface; it's a bit tricky to explain, but playing certain combinations of notes on the musical scale activate certain spells. In a way, it's similar to how Link plays the Ocarina in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to cast different spells.

Since there aren't a lot of people to talk to during the game, there aren't a lot of "deliver the item" puzzles; there are a good bit of environmental puzzles, but nothing too tricky.

This game has three different levels of difficulty, which all correspond how to cast spells; on the hardest difficulty level, you have to cast spells by ear, which is an interesting challenge, especially when I was playing the game on my 386 with a PC Speaker!

GRAPHICS

The graphics are very colorful. The environments, from the initial primitive town to the glimmering crystal city, are impressive to behold. The detail in the graphics of the close-ups of characters when speaking to them (similar to what is done in the first Monkey Island game) is done very well.

MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS

The music in the game is done by six different composers, most of it as variations on Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. I enjoy classical music a lot of the time anyway, so I found it to work well for the game. It's an interesting way to do music for a video game; I'm not sure of how many other games have had their entire musical score based on compositions by classical composers.

The sound effects are average, if a bit bland. Then again, the game doesn't have a lot of sound effects to deal with.

OVERALL

Loom is one of those adventure games that sticks out in my mind over the years. While the graphics and music might seem dated to newer adventures, I still like to play through it every couple of years or so. The game is too easy for experienced adventurers, but the unique settings, music, and gameplay makes it worth your time to play through.

It's a tricky game to find... Try to look at E-Bay or Half.com to snag a copy of it; LucasArts isn't selling their "Classic Adventures" compilation on their site anymore (the diskette compilation which had Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Last Crusade, and Secret of Monkey Island), so it's tougher to find. Still, it's worth it.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
plastic man

Send a message via Yahoo to forero99

Well...You said it all dude!…It’s my favourite game, that’s all I can add to this threat.

In the actual circumstances...How long do you think we have to wait to see Loom2 ? tha's a bad joke...sorry guys.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I think someone has adopted my style of naming reviews.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-19-2004, 08:49 PM   #4

Er, ragnar, I wasn't quite going for that... I was more influenced by having to write headlines for my college newspaper and thought adopting a similar style would be better than reading "Review: Loom" as the subject.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Multi-dimensional avatar

Bobbin Threadbare: Born of the Loom
Anakin Skywalker: Born of the Force

Anakin Skywalker: The Chosen One,, destroys the Jedi Order, bringing balance to the Force, very powerful Jedi. Trascends into spectral ghost.
Bobbin Threadbare: Destroys the Loom, takes half of pattern away. Very powerful weaver. Transcends into a swan, but rumors are that he would appear in spectral form to Rusty Nailbender in "Forge".

OK, I will shut up now.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #6

Interesting parallels... Perhaps some over-zealous fan is going to write a fan-fic crossover involving Luke Skywalker and Bobbin teaming up to defeat Darth Vader while finding a cure for Bobbin's swan state.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
Disciplined Breakdown

The thing about the voices is the line "Grass green, I hate that color" sticks out in my mind. No other dialouge, just that. Weird.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinkie
The thing about the voices is the line "Grass green, I hate that color" sticks out in my mind. No other dialouge, just that. Weird.
Here's a bit of unrelated trivia: another adventure game also used that exact line (most likely as an in joke or homage) but what was the game called?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #9

How was the voice-acting in the CD-ROM version? Was the music improved at all [Red-Book Audio]?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Here's a bit of unrelated trivia: another adventure game also used that exact line (most likely as an in joke or homage) but what was the game called?
Simon the Sorcerer II, in Calypso's shop.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Disciplined Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
How was the voice-acting in the CD-ROM version? Was the music improved at all [Red-Book Audio]?

Um I seem to recall the voice acting being ok, not too spectacular, but its been a few years since I played it, so I could be suffering faulty memories. As for the music, couldn't tell you if it's changed from any other versions, haven't played any others.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Simon the Sorcerer II, in Calypso's shop.
Congratulations, you win...well nothing, sorry, better luck next time.

I really liked the voice acting in Loom, it was different from other Lucasarts games, but it really seemed to fit with the game. I particularly liked the worker guys in the tower of the glass city, really cracked me up those two.