You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A few pointers Realmyst...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
NO senior just Senorita..

Default A few pointers Realmyst...

Recently I have played Realmyst...
I'm all for new releases for classic old games ,where at the time they have been released it was impossible to give the full immersed experience due to lack of appropriate 3D technology or having voice acting to mute games...
I have been playing the original Myst at the time is has been the Best Seller Game...And like many other gamers have been fascinated and immersed by what the game had to offer back then...
The atmosphere ,the sound puzzles ,the original story,the 1st perspective view,the navigation,the complexity of the puzzles,the search for clues,the great satisfaction of solving a puzzle,The sounds,The loneliness feeling...
All of these features combined together to bring about an unparalleled experience that captured the heart of millions of people over the world and established the leading role of adventures games for years to come...
I can remember that I was as never as proud beating a game on my own as with this game and the expression on the seller's face when I told him that I finished it on my own...
Of course I can't forget also the fact that the game had the worst ending I have ever witnessed...
Many opportunist developers have been following that game mechanics in order to capitalize on its unique gameplay in hope of being rich...
A phenomenon that got the notorious nickname of Mysts Clone games...And they came one after another relentlessly like starving rabits running after carrots...
So I was curious to see my reaction to play that game after so many years...
Realmyst failed to live up to the fabulous original myst...
The feeling of 3D games has been long time ago lost its novelty and Realmyst does not offer anything fresh to someone who played that original game...In fact it actually ruined my original experience and left me wondering why the hell I did like that game in the first place...
I was bored and impatient to begone with it and as soon as the better...
Of course I'm not here to suggest to someone who havn't played the original game not to play Realmyst...It will be all new for him and his experience might be like I had back then when I played the original....

My final verdict : This remake managed to left a negative impact on me and at the same time ruined some nostalgic memories from the past...

Last edited by Ursulla; 01-24-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
NO senior just Senorita..

To anyone who fancy the idea of playing Realmyst,I suggest to try this version :
MYST MASTERPIECE EDITION
that can be found here :

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=196

If I would have known about it in time I definitely go for it...
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Hmm, I had exactly the opposite experience with RealMyst. It reinvigorated my memories of the original Myst, I had a blast exploring the realms in 3D and, finally, I was delighted by many smaller and bigger surprises Cyan added into this game.