You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A few pointers : Harvester

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
NO senior just Senorita..

Default A few pointers : Harvester

First,let me say I was able to play only the first CD out of three...The game ran perfectly well under Dosbox but when I was requested by the game to swap into disk number 2 it didn't recognize it and I was forced to terminate it not knowing who's to blame here...
But I got pretty much the principle ideas of this game...
The game was unleashed to the public in 1996 with one aim only...to shock you as much as possible..This game went into the extreme in order to provoke radical reactions...Critics slaughtered it but players liked it...
This game was aimed for adults and uses a muture theme...It uses real life actors...real life cutscenes and real life graphics...
The characters here have the full dimension of human beings with all their sex needs and with all the ilnesses inflicted on humans as general...Here nobody is trying to cover anything...Here everything that is normally being done undercover and in the dark is put for display and exhibition...Everything that is sick in human behavior will be demonstarted here...Even Children behaves like evil devils...This game is disgusting and appealing at the same time...
The language that is spoken here is vulgar and obscene...Here people are comepeting with one another who is sicker...
Here when you die you are electrified in the electric chair...This it is not a death in a Sierra game...Here death means torture...
Here sex takes its natural centerfold role like in real life...Normally sex is not mentioned in games but here wherever you go it is all about sex...
And when it is not about sex than it is about blood...Here people behaves like butchers who are glad to see blood all over the place...And if you turn on the gore option you will watch blood here that will be enough for a life time...
The story of the game start as many other games...You (male)woke up without any memory...You learn very fast that that you are going to marry the prettiest girl in Harvest (A town)...Nothing seems right here...There are many secrets to reveal as you explore the town...
The story here is much better from most childish games and I was really disappointed when I couldn't go on with the second disk...
The puzzles here have a unique taste to them...Here you need to think like a grown-up to solve them and are not as silly as in many other games...
The unique feature of the game is that you can attack anyone you like...You can use items like a bat,axe or trident to crack their skulls open and watch all their blood gush out from their splitted heads...
I needed twice the help of a walkthrough through the first disc...And I really liked the puzzles...
Graphics were suprisingly good and the music and sounds were ok...Mozart didn't compose them I'm sure of that...
Hero personality : A young boy at the age of 18 just graduated from High school...Nice looking ,and if he is going to play his cards right he just might score...
The game is fully speeched except when you examin objects you can only read the comments...
The dialogues and voice acting are very well written and played and are the major strength of this game...
Best character : The half man who lost his legs in the war who guards the nuclear missiles base and has the red button to launch them...a real maniac...

My final Verdict : A refreshing and daring game that tries to be different from the rest of the herd...

Last edited by Ursulla; 12-13-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #2

Today I have found out the solution to the swapping CD's issue in Dosbox....
It is simple actually ,after swapping to a new CD you need to press Ctrl + F4 in Dosbox to make it recognize there is a new CD in the drive and now finally I could finish this game...

Last edited by Ursulla; 01-14-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

It took me more than two months to complete this game...
I have started playing it under Dosbox and than after playing about 80% of the game...I had a crucial crash of "out of memory" issue...
Thankfully this game could be played under Virtual PC...and only than I was able to finish it...
Under Dosbox I wasn't also able to watch many of the cutscenes...which
later on after replaying it under Windows 98 I could easily watch them...
As to the game itself I wasn't too happy how it changed into a bloodbath...
The game was hard to finish not because of hard puzzles but because it had a lot of combat scenes towards the end of the game...
I can say one thing for sure about this game...I am not going to forget it since it had very disturbing moments that usually you don't get to watch...This game is one sick puppy with one intention only... to shock you as much as possible...I havn't seen so many weirdoes assembled together in one single game...One of the most disgusting games ever made...Just don't expect to watch a happy ending...

Last edited by Ursulla; 02-16-2009 at 07:38 AM.