You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A few pointers : Safecracker (The original ! 1997 )

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
NO senior just Senorita..

Default A few pointers : Safecracker (The original ! 1997 )

I have just finished it...
First,this is not the game everyone knows ,but the original which was made in 1997 by the developer Daydream who also developed the blockbuster game Traitors Gate that almost scored 5 stars here...So we are talking about a capable developer...
I have never played the new version so I am not referring to that game at all here...
Usually I like to play games which link together by their chronology...and this game precede his sequal by 9 years !
The game is from 1st perspective view using the awkward navigation of pictures rotating right or left ,forward or backward...
Except from the begininning you will spend the whole game indoors moving from room to room...There are three floors and lots of rooms to explore...
The story is not much...As you start the game,you are in a phone booth...The phone is ringing...as you pick it up, a voice tell you to infiltrate into a mansion and crack all the safes there to prove yourself worthy of getting a comfy job as a Security Chief...
This game is all about the puzzles,prepare your brain and look sharp...No talking to anyone...Each room you enter you listen to a different music which is a nice touch...The graphics are also fine...
In addition to cracking safes you collect all kinds of items which will help you later on with other safes and locked mechanisms...You will read all kinds of documents which will give you the neccessary clues how to go about the safes...
Everything is done professionally under the pressure of time...You must solve everything by the time you are given...You will see the time meter all the time...There are fruits you can find and eat and I think they prolong the time...I'm not sure about that...
The game is very addictive and your brain will work overtime...Each safe has a unique mechanism to beat...It was difficult for me to leave the game...just one more safe to crack...
The satisfaction you get by cracking safes is a very rewarding experience...
Items and small objects can be picked up and examined in full 3D and also you can rotate them as you wish searching for hidden clues...
A bonus : If you havn't played Minesweeper before you can play it from within the game by turning on one of the computers...

My final verdict : Intensive work of the brain while figuring out the logic behind the safes...

Techanical Issues :
1)After installing the game in windows change the resolution to 640*480 16 bit (high color)
2)Install the version of Quicktime supplied by the game...
3)There is a problem with scrolling items in the inventory,it is done way too fast...To solve this problem download a fix patch from http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofi...T/SC_Setup.htm
4)To install the patch copy two files into the game directory :
SCFIXDLL.DLL
SCFIXDLL.EXE
5)Before starting the game double click on SCFIXDLL.EXE ,leave it running while you play the game...it will slow down the scrolling of the inventory..
6)Don't scroll your items inventory with your left button of the mouse...Do it with your right button of the mouse and you will do just fine...

Last edited by Ursulla; 12-12-2008 at 04:44 AM.