You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews A few pointers :The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
NO senior just Senorita..

Default A few pointers :The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble

Recently I have played this game...It has been released in 1995 and Sierra took it under its wings and published it...
But this game has more of Lucas Arts feel to it being funny and insane...
The story is unique...Your mission is to free a mutant funny looking race from the opression of a human dictator...and you will do it by finding out who or what is the Schnibble...
The story has been a strong feature of this game and kept me going till the end...I really wanted to see how the game ends...
The puzzles of this game is another story..When I started playing I expected a nice quiet cruise through them...and it turned out to be a hugh mistake as this game takes no prisoners being one of the most difficult games I have encountered...You are going to blow smoke out of your ears if you are going to try to solve it all on your own...In fact for anyone who made it all by himself ,he deserves the medal of honor going through all hardships the game poses...
When I started I was very determined to beat it but the more I progressed ,the game broke my resistence shred by shred...By the end of the game I was drained completely of any energy and just wanted it to be all over with...
If you are going to play it prepare for the worst...This game is only for people who finds most adventure games relatively easy for their superior intelligence..
In fact many players will blame the game for having illogical puzzles and maybe they have a point there...But as you can see the second word of the game's name is bizarre...so the developers did actually warned you not to look for logic...
As you already guessed I needed the the help of a walkthrough few times being clueless as how to go on...
Another important feature of the game is how Woodruff responses...At first it was very funny to see his reactions (he has quite a few of them.. ) but after a while I got a big headache and wanted to strangle him with my bare hands...This guy is a walking zoo and can drive anyone insane with all the noises coming out of the speakers...
The game comes with 1 CD fully speeched...runs under windows
I have turned off the music in this game as I had the suspicion it was a scheme of the developers to distract me and my concentration...
The graphics were cool to watch....
My final verdict : I have mixed reactions with this game...There is no doubt in my mind that this is truely a gem of a game...But it also comes with few drawbacks that might be overbearing for the casual gamer...

P.S : I posted this since I havn't seen a review here....Probably the reviewer is still lost in one of the puzzles trying to find his way out...

Last edited by Ursulla; 12-09-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Caffein Queen

Nice review Ursulla

I must have played this game 3-4 times now and all the times with a walkthrough near by. Something I don't have a problem with.

You'r right, the puzzles are totally insane most of the time, but that's what makes this game good - IMO.

It reminds me very much of the Goblins games and that's probably because they too are from Coktel Vision.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
NO senior just Senorita..

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
Nice review Ursulla

I must have played this game 3-4 times now and all the times with a walkthrough near by. Something I don't have a problem with.

You'r right, the puzzles are totally insane most of the time, but that's what makes this game good - IMO.

It reminds me very much of the Goblins games and that's probably because they too are from Coktel Vision.
Thank you ,you are most kind...But no medal of honor for you only a hug ....
Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I had quite a similar experiences with Woodruff as you, Ursulla.

Interestingly there's, a newly posted review at ACG which also describes many of the same highlights and points of frustration found in the game: http://www.adventureclassicgaming.co...e/reviews/382/