You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Curse of Atlantis: Thorgal's Quest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Default Curse of Atlantis: Thorgal's Quest

This is a weird title I picked up on a whim. I'll let it explain itself...

Story: You are Thorgal Aegirsson, a child of the Atlantisian people. Sailing your way home to your family, you are forced by the storms to make a detour onto a nearby Viking island. There you meet a magician & soothsayer, who shows you a deadly future in which you kill your own son. Desperate to change this future, you seek to head home as soon as possible, and head out across the island, in hopes that the port on the other side has more charitable weather. Overall, its a very interesting plot, albeit not carried through very well.

Puzzles: Some are good, some are bad, and there's far too much pixel hunting, mostly to find necessary items that are needed to advance in the game. Time-limit puzzles are the worst (and there are at least 5 or more in the game), as usually they're not explained very well, and if you don't have a recent save game, it isn't fun. Overall, its a mixed bag, but certainly not this game's strong suit.

Voice Acting: The voice actors aren't too bad, and fairly decent. Only one problem, the dialogue is really pathetic. You'll find youself saying, 'Yes, I get the point already' often when deaing with the game's tendency for prose-y speech. Overall, meh.

Music & Sfx: Music is mostly on the dreary, bleh side. I didn't much care for it. Sound effects are okay, but not great. Overall, bleh.

Extras: One interesting thing of note, is the comic retelling of the story. As you progress through the story, a page is added to a comic-like recap of the game. Its really one of the more interesting aspects of the game.

All in all, this game is somewhat interesting, albeit far too short. That, and a lack of quality control from one bit to the next, leads me to grade this game with a C+.

Sky Warrior Bob