You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 AM   #1

Default Psychonauts

PSYCHONAUTS

The first I saw of Psychonauts was at the launch of the Xbox as an FMV of the game was included on the console’s free demo disc. The game was in production for around 5 years, later no longer being an exclusive to the Xbox, and released for PC (thank God) and PS2 as well.

I bought Psychonauts on the strength of Tim Schafer’s earlier game ‘Grim Fandango’, which I would argue is possibly the greatest game of all time. By playing a downloaded demo from Gamershell.com I was immediately sucked in by the introduction FMV and the ability to wander around the summer camp during the start of the game.

The game stars Raz, a young boy who has travelled far and wide to reach the Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp where he plans to become a Psychonaut, a psychic marine of sorts. The story later unfolds as happenings, strange even for a camp for psychic misfits, seem to occur. The game doesn’t start off with a bang but slowly introduces the gamer to the characters and the game world, allowing use to care for the outcast children and noble Psychonauts we will later be fighting for.

The game is classed as a ‘platform game’, however, with Schafer’s influence on the adventure game genre in the past, the game allows a greater amount of freedom, exploration, small puzzle elements and interaction with other game characters, which is where the game really rallies itself up front from its current contenders. Each character in the camp, no matter how small or insignificant, has their own inimitable and interesting agenda. Many interact and form small bonds or vendettas, often to comical value. Characters are generally hanging around the enormous camp and can be spoken by simply pressing the action button. Although it’s not compulsory to speak to characters, why would you not want to? Why would you not want to watch pint sized Dogen feed on his paranoia of the seeming innocent squirrels? Or even hope that he literally makes someone’s head explode (he’s done it 4 times already!). Or watch Bob Zilch get his karma for picking on fellow camp members.

With Psychonauts (and the previous Fandango) we get the feeling Schafer is heavily influenced by the likes of Tim Burton films. Thankfully, not only does Shafer personalise his stories and find a unique style to clearly exile his material from his possible muses, but even surpasses. Platformers usually leave more imagination to the graphics than the mind and form deeper plot in the in-game death traps than in the narrative. This is not the case with Psychonauts.

The greatest feeling when wondering around Whispering Rock was that I wasn’t alone. Being able to stop looking for collectable items have a small conversation with lily or Zilch gave a warm feeling I never felt in the empty mansion in Mario 64.

However, the game does have its darker moments that may be unsuitable for younger children, or at least have the need for parental guidance. The giant lungfish for one thing was enough to panic my younger sister, and the collecting of people’s brains may seem a little weird and uncomfortable.
Another good example would be the later level ‘The Milkman Conspiracy’, whilst not having to do much with the plot, will be one of the most unearthly gaming experiences of your life - a surreal, comical reflection of boring American suburban lifestyle that’d do David Lynch proud. You know you’ve seen it all in a game when a secret agent, posing as a housewife with a rolling pin announces, “I am a housewife. Although my husband will find me less attractive sexually he will still love me for my homemade pies”.
However, this is not a complete mature gamers game or children’s game. This is a game that have been written and programmed for all ages and both sexes.

CONTROLS

Platformers don’t seem to appear very often on the PC for good reason. With most PC owners preferring to use keyboard and mouse, platformers are as welcome to PCs as FP shooters are to the pad-playing console owners. Because of this, unless you are a skilled person with mouse and keyboard, it might be wiser either to buy a gamepad or buy the Xbox version instead (I’ve heard that the PS2 version doesn’t do the game justice graphically), as later levels can become tricky having to make skilled, multiple actions in order to survive various stages of play.

I played using a USB pad, and the game because easy in the sense that I wasn’t having to stretch my finger from one side of the keyboard to another rapidly, however it did spark the problem that, because the game teaches moves using keyboard buttons, I had to spend time experimenting with buttons to get moves right. It was never a painful experience though. However, there is next to no options to change button configuration either for keyboard or pad, meaning that I had problems controlling the camera with left and right moving it up and down and up and down controlling left and right. Thankfully, because I played the game for so many hours, I was able to memories this invert-ability which now has me facing the problem of going back to the normal use of camera moving in other games.

GAMPLAY

Double Fine productions have done their best to provide variety into an often clichéd and stale concept genre. 32-64bit consoles saw an OD in 3D platform games in their wake and left little left to expand on.

Psychonauts has the player spending more time exploring the beautiful environments with the typical use of ‘collect these items to trade for that item syndrome’. In this case, magical arrowheads can be used to buy special moves and items that allow Raz to pursue forward to reaches he couldn’t before, as well as figments (of the imagination) that power up special moves and emotional baggage which can unlock secret early draft drawings and in-depth cartoon strips of various character’s personal memories. However, it’s not strictly needed to collect ever item you find, as whizzing through can complete the game, but that would often miss the point.

Tackling puzzles are kept almost to a minimum, and are at that younger audiences could figure it out, at least during the first half of the game. Because of this, on the few times that I was stuck, wondering around the sometimes massive levels not knowing what to do, dying or wasting 45 minutes experimenting before taking a short break proved a little frustrating. None of these puzzles are illogical, and once sussed, integrate into the game’s narrative fine. It’s just that being stuck on a puzzle for too long makes the game, at times, feel a little inconsistent through the 95% of the time when you do know what you should be doing.

GRAPHICS

That graphics are nothing that stand up to the massive production values of Oblivion, but at the same time a further than most games on the PC and Xbox market. What really makes the game rewarding is its sense of uniqueness.
The best description would have to be that of like MDK2 on the Dreamcast, both in terms of lighting and art design.

I think the sometimes blandness level design was made a conscientious decision by the programmers. Some of these levels are MASSIVE, and require a lot of exploration and looking around. With too much detail, not only would there be only too much slowdown, but would often obscure views that are thankfully, to the majority of the time, easy to see. The level ‘Napoleons war’ is a gigantic level with a number of buildings trees, moving enemies and the sort. Often on the subconscious levels I’ve been almost overwhelmed by the sheer size. It’s clear that this game wasn’t made with the intention of making quick breezes through each level, these levels are detailed and built for exploration in the way that all great 3D platformers are.

Even without graphics on top level this game is still amazing and detailed. Even without no lighting effects and special texturing I still felt as if I was playing a game of proper 35 pound value.

There is a part of me that feels shame that so little people have experienced Psychonauts as there should have. But playing part in a game so overlooked also gives a sense of pride and luck that I’ve experienced something that so few gamers have or will do if they continue to play the cheap franchise games plaguing the store shelves only too often.

‘Psychonauts’ is the epitome of what games should be about. Fun, imagination and appreciation. And it’s nice to not have to rely on Nintendo to make a decent, original and lovable playformer for a change.

I have had one serious problem with this game since owning it. My forehead seems to hurt far more often these days. This has nothing wrong with the game. I’ve been head-butting the wall asking myself “why, why, WHY didn’t I play this game sooner?” And I suggest, if you don’t want to suffer the same symptom these try to play this game as quickly as possible. A demo download is available at gamershell.com.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #2

Nice job Terramax. I loved this game, too, and documented my triumphs and defeats here:

www.spyglassguides.com/spy/viewtopic.php?t=1904

I agree with you that the controls were a nightmare, but somehow I eventually got good enough with them to actually finish the game. Which is still on my drive. Why? Because I'm going to play it again soon. And again after that probably. The humor never got stale, the voice acting was some of the best I've heard ever, and the entire environment - teetering precariously between what is and what is perceived - was so immersive.

Loved it. It shot right up to #1 on my hit list.

happy trails,

Carolyn
Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #3

Yep. After completing it my first thought was 'play it again!'. But I'm not. I've completed Grim Fandango so many times (because my little sister wants to play it) that I'm starting to get tired of that game so I've decided to avoid playing it over again for a little while. Also, I wanna go through it again with a better graphics card. The thought of me playing Psychonauts and Ankh with full specs makes my mouth drool.

Even though I found this game near perfect the first time, it's only when I play games a second time round that I REALLY enjoy them. When I play AGs and other kinds of story driven games, I'm too wound up on what to do next and the story to take full time to appreciate the game design. I just can't wait to play Napoleon's War level again with full specs and just spend ages wandering around the level admiring the scenery.

... I just can't believe I didn't buy the game sooner.

My next game is Fahrenheit. After that I'm caught between two games. Initially I thought Dreamfall but after playing Psychonauts, since hearing that 'Beyond Good And Evil' is very much the same, I might play that game instead. I don't suppose you've checked out Good v Evil?

Anyway, apology for not mentioning the music on this game either. It's buy the same composer as Grim Fandango's music. the music isn't as good as GF (mainly because there isn't half as many tracks) and the music is spot on in the atmosphere. No matter how often I had to hear it, the music during Summer Camp day NEVER got boring. I can't imagine the music fitting any more. Same for the happy and sad music on the theatre level (very reminescent of the jazz and blues music in year 2 in GF).
I've just got some download software to rip the music, but it's in BSplayer format so I can't convert into MP3. Not to worry though, I've already ordered the official soundtrack from the Double Fine Store.

My only anger is that I can't buy a Psychonauts T-Shirt from the site, and they have no plans to make any. I really wanna wear a Psychonauts T-Shirt and advertise this game while I'm walking around town (I wouldn't mind a pic of Grim Fandango on the back of it either lol).

I've already convinced one of my friends to get it (although he bought the PS2 version, which I've heard doesn't do justice).
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #4

Well, I've always got a good excuse to play a game like this again because someone else always needs help over at Spyglass when they start it up . When it's a replay of an adventure game I hand it over to someone else, heheheh...

You're right about the music, extremely well done. In fact, the controls are the only annoying thing about the game. I used my Nyko gamepad but because I had to keep switching out the powers I had to concentrate quite a bit. I played it with an ATI Radeon X700 Pro vid card and it was pretty darn good. Never had any crashes or other misbehavior from the game, either other than one glitch that was solved with a reboot.

I have BG&E and haven't started it yet. Someday the whim will strike and I'll load it up.

happy trails,

Carolyn
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #5
Squeaky

Great review, Terramax - excellent coverage of the issues. It's pretty much at the top of my all time faves list (the only competition being Obsidian and Thief: Gold), and I'm sure will remain there for some time.

I've played a lot of good games but Psychonauts was the first to make me feel like an excited eight year old again. For the first five minutes of each new level (especially from the underwater bit onward), I'd find myself giggling in glee at the sheer, unbridled creativity of the environments. I haven't been so awestruck since watching Star Wars as a kid. To get that kind of reaction out of a grown (but admittedly immature) man has to mean it was something special, right? Either that, or I'm just a loon .

It's been nearly a year since I played it, and reading your review just makes me want to reinstall it and experience it all over again.

As for Beyond Good & Evil, I played it a few months before Psychonauts and I can highly recommend it. For my money, it doesn't compete with Psychonauts, but it's still a wonderful, innovative game with characters that you end up caring about, and a good environment, built for exploration. I'd definitely go for BG&E over Fahrenheit and The Longest Journey. To be honest, I found TLJ a little tedious and the protagonist extremely irritating, but I think I'm in a minority there.

btw, I know I'm a bit late here, but congrats on beating the Meat Circus, Carolyn
Old 07-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
To be honest, I found TLJ a little tedious and the protagonist extremely irritating, but I think I'm in a minority there.
No, seriously mate, don't get me started on TLJ, I detest that game to high heaven.

Anyway, back to Psychonauts, Napoleon's War level really got me. I've just found out my computer is too small and I can't upgrade it (not even buying a new motherboard) which means I gotta buy a new pc to play max graphics.

But that's ok, I'll only play Psychonauts every year or few, that way it'll remain fresh everytime I play it. I'd advise you to wait a while longer before playing it, wait until you've forgotten most of it, and then when you play it again, you'll relive it.

I played my fav game (Discworld Noir) so much that I could basically quote every conversation. I badly wanna play it again (somehow, the night time levels in Psychonauts remind me of DW Noir) but I'm not going to for years until I forget half of it.

What I'm really glad is that I've been persuading my friends to buy the game. I've got two people buying it and talking about it with me. Most people I know don't buy the games I play so it's really great getting others to buy it.

Thinking about it, I don't want a sequel to Psychonauts. It probably wouldn't feel as fresh as the first. And if Schafer makes a new, original story for his next game then it'll be like reliving the first time with Psycho and Fandango all over againo.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Squeaky

Whoops. I pulled TLJ out of nowhere there, didn't I? I could've sworn you said that TLJ was going to be one of your next games, but I must've confused it with Dreamfall. Apparently, it just takes the merest suggestion of TLJ to set me off ranting.

Totally agree with you on the Napoleon's War level - the frequent shifting of scale was brilliant. And I loved that bit where you could climb up the side of the building and look in the window to see Fred and Napoleon sitting there playing the game. Nice touch.

I think my favourite level was Black Velvetopia, although it gave me some serious headaches trying to find the last few figments.

Sounds like I might have to give Discworld Noir a go. Do you have to be a Discworld fan to gain full appreciation of the game?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:

I've played a lot of good games but Psychonauts was the first to make me feel like an excited eight year old again.
I love that comment, and can relate entirely!! I completed Pyschonauts a couple of months back, and the last game that gave me the same feelings of excitement and enjoyment was probably Banjo Kazooie back in the late 90's. Being a cynical 24 year old now, I had kinda given up on 3D adventure games over recent years and just decided to give Psychonauts a go having seen and advert for it in a mag... boy am I glad I did, it's an absolute masterpeice. The best thing is, I didn't manage to get all the figments so I can go back knowing there's more to do Going to leave it for a bit though.

Having been completely rejuvinated, I played and completed BG&E pretty soon after Psychonauts and, although it's a great game as well, I don't think it matches it. Do we know of any concrete plans for a Psychonauts sequel?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
Squeaky

I'd be shocked if a sequel is/was ever considered. Sequels don't really seem to be Tim Schafer's thing, and it's not as though it could capitalise on the sales of the first game . I think the occasional bit of sequel speculation that pops up now and then is little more than wishful thinking.

As Terramax mentioned though, that's probably not a bad thing, as we'll hopefully get to see another Schafer original before too long. Double Fine Action News has some hints (well, sort of) about their current next-gen title - there's also a thread somewhere on AG where people tried to decipher what's on Tim's monitor in that photo. And Double Fine have been hiring people recently, which is a pretty good sign.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-15-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #10

I think Tim is a genius, yet I stayed away from Psychonauts because of the sys req also I heard a gamepad is recommended?

I really enjoyed BGE right until the end... when I reversed the keyboard... nevertheless a true piece of art.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #11
Grah! Grah!

Quote:

I'd be shocked if a sequel is/was ever considered. Sequels don't really seem to be Tim Schafer's thing, and it's not as though it could capitalise on the sales of the first game . I think the occasional bit of sequel speculation that pops up now and then is little more than wishful thinking.

As Terramax mentioned though, that's probably not a bad thing, as we'll hopefully get to see another Schafer original before too long. Double Fine Action News has some hints (well, sort of) about their current next-gen title - there's also a thread somewhere on AG where people tried to decipher what's on Tim's monitor in that photo. And Double Fine have been hiring people recently, which is a pretty good sign.
I'd like to see Schafer move onto a new game too, but think it would be cool to see some more minds for Raz to explore (perhaps episodically seeing as the Summer camp wouldn't really be all that appropriate a locale anymore and the amount of unique content required for each mind) designed by some up and coming Double Fine talent (similar to how Schafer and Grossman did Day of the Tentacle for their first effort as fully fledged designers.) With the right price point and Psychonauts' developing cult I think it could work out well for them. Still wishful thinking though, and I'm definitely not one of those who think Psychonauts "sets up for" or requires a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGz
I think Tim is a genius, yet I stayed away from Psychonauts because of the sys req also I heard a gamepad is recommended?

I really enjoyed BGE right until the end... when I reversed the keyboard... nevertheless a true piece of art.
I played it entirely with the keyboard and mouse (twice in a row) and had no problems. I wouldn't say a gamepad's anymore essential for it than Beyond Good & Evil.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Sounds like I might have to give Discworld Noir a go. Do you have to be a Discworld fan to gain full appreciation of the game?
No, i don't think so. There may be some intertextual jokes based on the characters in the books, but the game parodies Noir movies like the old Bogart ones from the Golden Hollywood era.

Noir is nothing like the first two (possibly the reason why it didn't do so well, seeing the absence of Rincewind).

Of course, I love this game so I may be a little biased to that... well, I want everyone to play it, but at 5 pound brand new, it's not expensive even if you'd have to import to the other side of the world.

the game is far from perfect with it aging a little but... please give it a go. If you like darker games (but with comical touches).

that velvet level somehow reminded me of Fur Fighters and Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. it somehow felt retro to me lol.

I received the soundtrack recently only to find that Napoleon's level music isn't on there >...<

Also, I'd agree that not enough minds were explored. I for one was a little bit disappointed that I never found out what was in Dogan's mind *makes you think*

In fact, a thread that I don't think i started that i was going to was asking 'If you could go in any mind in Psychonauts, who would it be?'

But if any of you are willing, I wouldn't mind starting the thread here.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
I received the soundtrack recently only to find that Napoleon's level music isn't on there >...<
Get a good recording of Tchaikovsy's 1812 overture (opus 49)! The Napoleon level music is borrowed from it. (The original is just as good, only less repetetive.)
Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #14

Obsidian and Discworld Noir are 2 of my top 3 adventure games. I guess great minds think alike, even if they're in a jar...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #15
Squeaky

Hehe

Right, I'm sold. I'll now be getting my hands on a copy of Discworld Noir - never been let down by an AG forumite recommendation before.

As for terramax's week-old question (sorry about that ), aside from Dogan, I'd like to go into the minds of either Clem or Chloe, the perpetually cheerful duo - think there'd be some weird stuff going on there.

btw, I just googled this page at Tim Fandango, which has all the game's characters.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-30-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 AM   #16

Thanks for the page link ^^

What's 'Obsidian' like? Also, seeing that I'm longing for a game like DW Noir, I wanted to know what the adventure game 'Noir' is like? I'm very tempted to try it.

Also, if you're a DW Noir fan, try the Nick Bounty games. They're free on a site (I forget the name) but both, mostly the second, are terrific. I demand that one day a full version is made.

And Simpson Yellow, please let me know how you get along with Noir, either by PM or somewhere on this forum. I love to know what others think of it.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
Squeaky

Obsidian's a 1st person adventure and I haven't really played anything all that much like it. It's kind of like a surreal version of Myst - I was reminded quite a bit of the movie Brazil as I was playing it (not that I particularly enjoyed Brazil). And it looks absolutely amazing, especially for its age - it was released in 1996 but looks as though it was released many years later.

The AG review is here. To some extent, I can understand the criticisms, but the game obviously did a lot more for me than it did the reviewer. If you like first person adventures, it's definitely worth a play (for my money it beats the entire Myst series). If not, probably best to steer clear.

In other news, I just picked up a copy of Discworld Noir on ebay for £3.50, including postage from the UK - not too bad, I reckon. I'll let you know how it goes (if I can ever pry myself away from Trackmania Nations).

And I played and loved both the Nick Bounty games - that's got to be a good sign

Never heard of Noir before, but it's got the same score as Obsidian so it's probably good

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 08-02-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #18

Quote:
The AG review is here. To some extent, I can understand the criticisms, but the game obviously did a lot more for me than it did the reviewer. If you like first person adventures, it's definitely worth a play (for my money it beats the entire Myst series). If not, probably best to steer clear.
I'm not as much into 1st person because of the kind of puzzles and most of the time there is no interaction with people. Having said that, Myst: revelations blew me away, and I've just taken a gamble with Amerzone. I'll get hold of Noir somedays.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to RMDTech Send a message via Yahoo to RMDTech

I have yet to play this game although I want to. I never did see a PS2 version of it ever come out though. I would have possibly gotten it for the PC if I had the time and money to upgrade it which I didn't.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDTech
I have yet to play this game although I want to. I never did see a PS2 version of it ever come out though. I would have possibly gotten it for the PC if I had the time and money to upgrade it which I didn't.
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=939085