You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Iconoclast

Default Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1984)

Story: 95%

Read the book. No, seriously. Get up, go to the nearest bookstore, buy it and read it. If you already own a copy, read it again. This saves me the effort of describing the story so I can spend more time touching on the killer graphics and sound.

Graphics: 100%

I wasn't sure what to make of the graphics at first. They were very subdued, but with a underlying sense of implied aesthetics that I couldn't ignore. For example, I could tell that great thought went into choosing just the right font to express their ideas, but an equal amount of attention was given to making it look hackneyed. It was amazing how they could find such intricate balance between the two. Anyone who was less observant than I, wouldn't even notice this subtlety. The legibility... the contrast with the background... all poignant homages to past masters, yet with an artistic edge of its own that would influence future generations. THIS, my friends, was what text was all about in 1984. Incomparable.

Sound: 100%

Quite simply, the most stunning mimicry of silence I have ever encountered. From the instant the game loaded, I was sucked into its spinning vortex of deafening "no sound," and plunged past the event horizon into greater and greater silences until I was left sitting at my desk saying, "Wow! Like, boffo! That was REALLY neat, man!" All the while, clenching my fist, shaking it for emphasis, and exhibiting a smile not seen since the first giraffe, after countless millennia of craning its neck to reach the succulent leaves at the tops of the trees, finally evolved to the point where it could do so and take its first bite. Of course, it wasn't long after, that I became distracted by my digital watch. And the giraffe? Well, let's just say, the leaves weren't as special as it thought they would be, and it realized that the only thing that all that evolving had accomplished, was to make it look rather silly.

Gameplay: 85%

I had originally purchased this game when it was first released aeons ago and solved it without assistance. Obviously, both my patience and my intelligence have been ravaged by years of abuse and neglect as it was far more difficult for me this time around. There is nothing like having a game make you realize you aren't THAT many generations away from thinking a good branch to sit on and a banana to eat are all one needs for complacency. A limited parser and a very poor typist do not mix well. I don't hold this against the game as it is older than the hills as far as games go, and they certainly have no control of my typing skills, but it certainly could have contributed to frustrating my time-addled brain. The puzzles were, how shall I say, puzzlingly puzzling. Perhaps the most annoying puzzle of the game is the fact that there is a portion where about 5 or so events occur randomly, yet you have to complete all of them. I got to a point where I had finished four and it took me like 20 tries to finally get the last event I needed. Needless to say, my patience meter was showing a negative reading at this point from all the unnecessary (mis)typing. And if you look up the word illogical in the dictionary, you will find a description of some of the puzzles in this game. (Looking in the dictionary is cheating BTW) Also, save often under different save names as the game requires reloading at points as you have a limited number of moves to complete certain things.The counter point, and this is important, is that it is their very lack of logic that makes them so funny and enjoyable. In other words, there is usually a good payoff once you twist your brain up into a few thousand knots and throttle yourself a few times. Overall, it is a challenging and fun game, albeit limited by the technology of the time. This game REALLY needs to have a modern remake. And the Babel fish puzzle is simply awesome!

Overall: 90%

The limitations of a text parser and no graphics or sound may stunt its appeal for those weaned on point and click, but any fan of Douglas Adams would be foolish not to revisit this classic game based on his classic novel. Just remember when you play, the ever so important words printed on the Hitchhiker's Guide itself: DON'T PANIC!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
Banned User

And don't forget to give Bureaucracy a try as well. Though not as fiendish as H2G2, it is still chock full of Adamsy goodness.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
Graphics: 100%
Nobody likes a smart ass.

(And the babel fish puzzle would violate the Geneva Accords in the right circumstances.)
Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Perhaps the most annoying puzzle of the game is the fact that there is a portion where about 5 or so events occur randomly, yet you have to complete all of them. I got to a point where I had finished four and it took me like 20 tries to finally get the last event I needed. Needless to say, my patience meter was showing a negative reading at this point from all the unnecessary (mis)typing.
In fact, the events you're referring to, while technically being random, could be controlled with almost no unnecessary (mis)typing. How, is revealed in help menu (frankly speaking, I don't think I could figure it out myself), which is BTW really a must-read after you finish this hilarious game.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:41 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

This was the most EEEVIL game to ever burst forth from Infocom's well. Not only are the puzzles nearly impossible to solve, but you can miss them entirely and be blissfully unaware that you did anything wrong. The game will continue, merrily lulling you into a sense of false security and leaving you unaware that you are trapped forever.

Beaucracy isn't much better in terms of puzzles. That maze puzzle at the end was so not obvious.

And interesting that you used the word Boffo, as Steve Meretsky (co-writer for HHGTTG) went on to create a company called Boffo. They created "The Space Bar," I beleve.

-Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGilbert
This was the most EEEVIL game to ever burst forth from Infocom's well. Not only are the puzzles nearly impossible to solve, but you can miss them entirely and be blissfully unaware that you did anything wrong. The game will continue, merrily lulling you into a sense of false security and leaving you unaware that you are trapped forever.
I can't speak for all the puzzles, but I know my score dropped at least one of the times I did something wrong, which was a clue to go back and not do it the next time. So there were some hints that you screwed up. They definitely let you keep playing after that point though, so your point is taken.

Quote:
And interesting that you used the word Boffo, as Steve Meretsky (co-writer for HHGTTG) went on to create a company called Boffo. They created "The Space Bar," I beleve.
What inspired me to play the game was that I had just re-read the enitre series AND watched the BBC television series. I'm sure somewhere in all that someone said the word "boffo" and I just picked up on it and used it in my sound section joke...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
No justice. Only me.

Spoiler:
Probably a good indication of how twisted this game was was that you had all these tools that seemed useless, and since you have a limited inventory you would decide to drop one of them, and if at the end of the game you had all of the tools but one, Marvin would ask you for the ONE tool that you didn't have.

Fiendish, and a wonderful extension of the humor of the HGTTG.

Edit: I just realize I dredged up a months-old post while browsing through old subjects. Sorry. I just got so caught up in the review I guess.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:

Story: 95%

Read the book.
No, I would say that you should go and buy the original radio theatre version (before the book). I enjoy that version much more than the books.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 07-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
No, I would say that you should go and buy the original radio theatre version (before the book). I enjoy that version much more than the books.
The radio version is classic i have it on my comp and play one part (there are 12) every night when i got to bed..For some reason i find Peter jones voice very soothing
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth209
The radio version is classic i have it on my comp and play one part (there are 12) every night when i got to bed..For some reason i find Peter jones voice very soothing
I should point out at this juncture that the BBC are producing a new series based on books 3-5. Of course, there's no telling that it will be any good, but I'm quietly optimistic...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/...21/12310.shtml

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #11

Thank you very much laceyware!! I had no idea that they were continuing the series, definetly gives me something to look forward to!

Gives me hope that some day they might continue the Tv series as well (i'm not holding my breath though)

Any idea on how we in the states will get to hear these?? I hate to have to resort to searching Kazaa day and night hoping someone posts a recording
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #12
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth209
Any idea on how we in the states will get to hear these?? I hate to have to resort to searching Kazaa day and night hoping someone posts a recording
You can listen to BBC radio stations live over the internet at www.bbc.co.uk, and they also put up archived copies of some programmes. You may have to go to a little trouble to be up at the right time, but it shouldn't be too difficult to hear them, as there will be no legal reasons preventing the programmes from receiving an internet broadcast...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #13

*looks at watch* is it september yet?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:25 PM   #14

for all who are interested and havn't seen it yet......the teaser for the new HHGTTG movie

http://hitchhikermovie.free.fr/pages...rdownload.html