Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Moment of Silence Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/moment-silence-developer-chat/)
-   -   dialogue / translation (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/moment-silence-developer-chat/5515-dialogue-translation.html)

fov 11-10-2004 12:52 PM

dialogue / translation

You mentioned elsewhere that the dialogue was one of the last things to be written. I'm assuming it was written in German first?

I'm just curious about the translation process - did you (or someone else at HoT) translate the dialogue in-house? Was there any need to involve native English speakers as consultants? Any issues getting idioms / jokes / slang translated so that they still worked once they were translated?

-emily

Martin Gantefoehr 11-10-2004 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
You mentioned elsewhere that the dialogue was one of the last things to be written. I'm assuming it was written in German first?

I'm just curious about the translation process - did you (or someone else at HoT) translate the dialogue in-house? Was there any need to involve native English speakers as consultants? Any issues getting idioms / jokes / slang translated so that they still worked once they were translated?

-emily

The dialogue was written in German, yes. I wish I could write it in English, because translation can always mean losses (and in any case loss of full creative control).

We handed it to a localization agency. They had eight translators working on the script, all native speakers, many of them New Yorkers. When we got the script it back, I sum checked it as good as I could, ironed out some bad-language issues (four letter words, you know...:))

fov 11-10-2004 01:06 PM

Eight translators! Wow, that's a lot. :) Good that there were some New Yorkers in the bunch. Was the voice talent for the English version also out of New York?

-emily

Martin Gantefoehr 11-10-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov

-emily

The dialogue was written in German, yes. I wish I could write it in English, because translation can always mean losses (and in any case loss of full creative control).

We handed it to a localization agency. They had eight translators working on the script, all native speakers, many of them New Yorkers. When we got the script it back, I sum checked it as good as I could, ironed out some bad-language issues (four letter words, you know...:))

edit: Now that MOS is completed, we're considering to have a consultant on the team the next time around, who is not only English native, but also a writer. It's obvious that script translation problems can do great harm to a story-driven game.

RLacey 11-10-2004 01:07 PM

Incidentally, did you manage to fulfil the fundamental principle of voice-casting - that the main enemy in a game/film must have a posh, British voice?

fov 11-10-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
edit: Now that MOS is completed, we're considering to have a consultant on the tam the next time around, who is not only English native, but also a writer. It's obvious that script translation problems can do great harm to a story-driven game.

Does that person have to live in Germany...? :D

-emily (writer and native English speaker)

Mattsius 11-10-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

edit: Now that MOS is completed, we're considering to have a consultant on the tam the next time around, who is not only English native, but also a writer. It's obvious that script translation problems can do great harm to a story-driven game.

coughSteveIncecough

:D

EDIT: So, your nightly meetings at that Mercedes dealer's parking lot are finally paying off, eh? :P

Martin Gantefoehr 11-10-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Does that person have to live in Germany...?
Actually, NOT living in Germany is an advantage. ;)

jjacob 11-10-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Actually, NOT living in Germany is an advantage. ;)

The Netherlands? :D Nah go with Incie!!

Martin Gantefoehr 11-10-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Incie
I think I remember him saying that it must be spelled Incey. :D

Steve and I are in touch. You know, we have this occult secret society thing going on behind the scenes.

Steve Ince 11-11-2004 12:24 AM

Quote:

I think I remember him saying that it must be spelled Incey. :D

That's right. :)

Quote:

Steve and I are in touch. You know, we have this occult secret society thing going on behind the scenes.
I'm having a trouble getting the goat, Martin...

timcclayton 11-11-2004 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Ince
I'm having a trouble getting the goat, Martin...

Well, Steve, if you could remove the one from Broken Sword 1 and use that, I would be much obliged...

Glenn Epic 11-11-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcclayton
Well, Steve, if you could remove the one from Broken Sword 1 and use that, I would be much obliged...

Geeze I love that goat :D

timcclayton 11-11-2004 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_Order
Geeze I love that goat :D

*raises eyebrows*

Steve Ince 11-11-2004 06:52 AM

I think I've found the goat:

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/star-wa...html?fromint=1

LauraMac 11-11-2004 06:58 AM

Quote:

I think I've found the goat:
Um hmmm ....

How do you know it didn't FIND you.... :shifty:
It knows where you live Steve...really.

Steve Ince 11-11-2004 07:07 AM

That would explain the startled look on the cat's face...

LauraMac 11-11-2004 07:12 AM

Ohh ..sigh,

So the Goat's revenge is at hand..

You'll be missed... much :\

Hmmm better chat up the goat, new order and all that.

Steve Ince 11-11-2004 07:22 AM

http://www.churchofsatan.com/Graphic...endillo1lg.jpg

LauraMac 11-11-2004 07:24 AM

Thanks - now I have that pesky how to wow the new order thing neatly solved. A new door knocker!