You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Banned User

Default Subconscious Messages

Well, hello there again Martin!

I wanted to ask this question since, during the beginnings moments of play, I had been struck silly by a few striking coincidences in TMOS.

Maybe I am insane; you decide.

Here is a list of elements exposed early on in the game that struck a cord with me. (No worries anyone; no spoilers ahead.)

Plane crash
Terrorist
New York
G.W. (which stands for Greenberg and Winter)
A campaign of terror
And a slight mention of a character named Ashcroft

Now, I saw an implied connection to the contemporary politics. Is this strickly coincidental? I will be honest. I thought that the connection was purposeful at first (since all the writing is quite intellegent and well-crafted), and it made me smile and laugh. Personally, I thought, if a purposeful move, it would only make playing the game a personal and real experience for some.

However, if I am on drugs (Jack...don't say a word!) and this is all in my imagination, how do you think others may respond to these coincidental connections? How will it affect the overall mood/tone of the game, if at all?

Thanks for your candid response!

Cheers,
Kirk
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Maybe I am insane; you decide.
It's always good when a game works on several levels.

I have heard people stating very interesting things about the game - what they saw in it, what it reminded them of, what they thought I had read or been influenced by.

Clearly the game has political subtexts. Some are there because I want them to be there. But others are added by the players.

That's how a good conspiracy theory works.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Banned User

A concise and very professional response, Martin!

Beautiful.

Kirk
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
It's always good when a game works on several levels.

I have heard people stating interesting things about the game - what they saw in it, what it reminded them of, what they thought I had read or been influenced by.

Clearly the game has political subtexts. Some are there because I want them to be there. But others are added by the players.
Subconscious messages? WHAT subconscious messages?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
Bearly Here

Kirk - back to your corner, Mr. Happy will be around soon with your "adjustment"

I was actually thinking of how precient the game story was. Not because of the terrorist overtones that's been around since way before th eMunich Olympics.

It was the foreshadowing of the political manipulation of terror related fears that was spooky. Hmmm how close are you to Shrub and co. anyway Martin?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Political manipulation of terror related fears isn't anything new. It's actually one of the mostly used ways to mobilize a country for war: "If we don't attack country A, country B will attack and destroy your home". It needn't even be true.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Political manipulation of terror related fears isn't anything new. It's actually one of the mostly used ways to mobilize a country for war: "If we don't attack country A, country B will attack and destroy your home". It needn't even be true.
Absolutely agree.

But the presence of GW, a sign that appears like GOP, and a character named Ashcroft just seemed to be a bit more than mere coincidence. But like I said before, "I see dead people."

Kirk
Old 11-10-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Bearly Here

Quote:
Political manipulation of terror related fears isn't anything new.
No of course not, but I was really more interested in Martin's response to that. I would think there is ample precedence for such a plot device closer to home, just curious in a more subtle way