You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Natural or bottle blond?

Whoa! Where did THAT subject heading come from? Someone must be pulling a prank on me. I'd never ask something like that. Mainly because it's far more fun to speculate. (And for those who haven't seen it, check out the video interview of Martin.)

No no, of course what I MEANT to ask is:

When's will MoS get a North American publisher, dammit!

Ack! No, not that either! I'm sure you're trying your best to make that happen. (taptaptap)

Really my question is what lessons you found most valuable from Mystery of the Druids that you carried into your second game? Not just from a design standpoint. I mean anything - marketing, public relations, you name it. I'd imagine the experience gained from a debut title would be enormous.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
my greyhound, Neo

This post cracked me up! seriously, that was a great interview. As you said, this game is for patient story hungry adventurers.
Digital Jesters seems like an adventure gamers marketing dream! Are they the folks that do the circulation of the interview for example, or is that the developer?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Whoa! Where did THAT subject heading come from? Someone must be pulling a prank on me. I'd never ask something like that. Mainly because it's far more fun to speculate. (And for those who haven't seen it, check out the video interview of Martin.)

No no, of course what I MEANT to ask is:

When's will MoS get a North American publisher, dammit!

Ack! No, not that either! I'm sure you're trying your best to make that happen. (taptaptap)

Really my question is what lessons you found most valuable from Mystery of the Druids that you carried into your second game? Not just from a design standpoint. I mean anything - marketing, public relations, you name it. I'd imagine the experience gained from a debut title would be enormous.
Wow. Is this a multiple choice question?

1. The makers of Poly Color Ultra +1 say that their product is totally natural and absolutely non-toxic. So - its really natural. In a way.

2. NA publisher: Don't worry. We're not hurrying this, though. MOS is important to us, and therefore it's important to us to work with a good company.

3. What lessons learned from the Druids: First thing: Next game must be better.
Second: No worldwide publishing deal anymore, but selling the game territory by territory. That's a much better way, economically, and we have more control what is being done with the game.

Take the box design, for example. I mean, MOTD had a box that I must hide from individuals with a weak health constitution.

That's all very different with MOS.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 11-10-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Bearly Here

[quality]MOTD had a box that must I hide from individuals with a weak health constitution.[/quote]

Going in for treatment now, as I actually liked the box .....

Great to hear you have elected to pursue teritorial deals yourselves, one by one. Definitely more lucrative for you. Also more control over product and marketing choices (like box art )

Quote:
So - its really natural.
And it looks like it, good choice.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
2. NA publisher: Don't worry. We're not hurrying this, tough. MOS is important to us, and therefore it's important to us to work with a good company.
This made me laugh.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
This made me laugh.
? I'm confused :S...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
Writer-Designer

The word "good" was in italics in Martin's original reply. In the quote it was all in italics, which lost the impact. I may just be reading more into his words than are actually there, though...
Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
The word "good" was in italics in Martin's original reply. In the quote it was all in italics, which lost the impact. I may just be reading more into his words than are actually there, though...
Aha. Now I understand you. Incidentally, do you think that Revolution would have picked Digital Jesters over THQ for BS3 had they been operating when you signed deals?...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
Writer-Designer

I have no idea. I never signed any deals.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Steve, you little devil, you. We'll just consider the gauntlet thrown to NA publishers. Good ones, step forward!!

Sorry about the hair thing, Martin. I'm just preparing you for all the attention you're gonna get by being a major video celebrity now.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Banned User

Personally, I found the blonde sassy, yet professional. A fashionable statement about political agendas and open-mindedness. A snap of color that says, "Hey, I'm here. You're here. We're all here."

The existential nature of Martin's hair color really juts out as commentary on the current state of the world and the layers of corruption found in adventure gaming.

That's it. I'm dying my hair.

True dat, man. True dat.

Kirk
Old 11-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #12

Default hair color

At first I thought it was "natural", but after Kirk's statement, I'm reevaluating my opinion on the hair color! In any case, it was a great hair color.

Oh yeah - wonderful interview!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Oh yeah - wonderful interview!
What did I say? Something -- ok?

I think this was shot at DJs Sherlock event in London. I hadn't slept the night before, and it was really scary to sit in the hotel room, the camera in front of me.

I told one of the camera guys:

"Look, guys, please bear with me, because this is going to be difficult, language-wise. I'm German."

He listened to that, and just replied:

"We wouldn't have guessed."

Old 11-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
DJ Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
What did I say? Something -- ok?

I think this was shot at DJs Sherlock event in London. I hadn't slept the night before, and it was really scary to sit in the hotel room, the camera in front of me.

I told one of the camera guys:

"Look, guys, please bear with me, because this is going to be difficult, language-wise. I'm German."

He listened to that, and just replied:

"We wouldn't have guessed."

Yeah, it was the June event that that footage was taken from. You did fine on camera though Martin.

We liked the interview soo much though, we had to share it with the whole internet.