You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Adventurer

Default Shadow of Destiny -- other endings

I debated for a while which forum to post this in, but decided since it is a couple questions to post it here.
I just finished Shadow of Destiny for the first time yesterday and I got ending D. At first I wasn't so sure about the game, wondering if it would live up to my expectations, but a couple chapters in I was engrossed in the story. I was also pleased with my ending (sort of bittersweet, but not totally wrapped up, hinting at a more complete ending) but surprised because my story ended after 8 chapters. But before I start hunting down the other endings, I've a couple questions.
1. Do the different endings contradict each other or do the complement each other, each giving part of the whole picture of what happened?
2. Are the ending brought on by specific dialogue choices or a combination of them? Or is it triggered by actions you perform or alternate puzzle solutions (not that I saw any)?
3. Will I have to replay from the beginning or can I just resume one of my old saves (one every chapter) to get an alternate ending or bonus material/scenes? How early on are the endings decided?
4. I played the PS2 version of the game, so I'm wondering how the "results" section works. What is it? How does it grade you? and do I have to keep all my previous saves to have them in there, or is the final (completed) save enough?

Hopefully someone's interested enough to slog through all my questions, and I'll try not to come up with any more to trouble you all
William
Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I haven't played the game yet, but I believe you have to actually replay the entire game from the beginning each time to unlock a little bit more of the story and get a different ending.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

One of my very favorite games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW
I just finished Shadow of Destiny for the first time yesterday and I got ending D.
This is a good ending. I got a much crappier ending my first time through.

Quote:
...but surprised because my story ended after 8 chapters.
There are always 8 chapters (plus the prologue), no matter which ending you get.

Quote:
1. Do the different endings contradict each other or do the complement each other, each giving part of the whole picture of what happened?
Both. There are some contradictions but the idea is that since Eike is changing the past (and therefore, the future) each time you play, the contradictions are a result of what he (and you) chose to do.

The second time you play, in one of the early chapters Eike and Homonculus have a conversation that sheds some light on why there are contradictions (the "other worlds" theory). I won't go into it now since you haven't seen that conversation yet, but it's worth replaying from the beginning at least once to catch that (and other subtle differences in some of the chapters).

Quote:
2. Are the ending brought on by specific dialogue choices or a combination of them? Or is it triggered by actions you perform or alternate puzzle solutions (not that I saw any)?
One specific dialogue choice in chapter 5 dictates whether you're heading toward one group of endings [A, B1, B2, C] or the other group of endings [D, E]. Then the actions you take in chapter 8 dictate which of these you get. Right now, you could get ending E just by replaying chapter 8 and doing something differently (let me know if you want a hint). To get A, B, or C, you have to go back to chapter 5, choose a different dialogue option than you did the first time, and then do various things in chapter 8 to get those four endings. (Note that there are actually two different B endings.)

You know when you hit the dialogue that impacts the ending because the game does the equivalent of asking "are you sure"? Eike says something like "I think I just said something important" and the person he's speaking to asks him to repeat his answer. Again, I can tell you more about this if you want to know which conversation it is.

There are also alternate scenes in the game that occur as a result of some of your actions, but have no bearing on the ending you get.

Quote:
3. Will I have to replay from the beginning or can I just resume one of my old saves (one every chapter) to get an alternate ending or bonus material/scenes? How early on are the endings decided?
I think answered most of this above. I do recommend replaying from the beginning at least once. If you've seen a scene before, you'll have an option to skip over it. So if you don't have that option, you know it's new (even though the difference may be subtle). I had a lot of fun trying to get all the possible scenes.

Once you get all the endings, a "bonus" game will be unlocked. It kind of repeats the first few chapters but in an entirely different way.

Quote:
4. I played the PS2 version of the game, so I'm wondering how the "results" section works. What is it? How does it grade you? and do I have to keep all my previous saves to have them in there, or is the final (completed) save enough?
It scores you based on how many of all of the possible things you can do, you've done. This includes dying multiple times, talking to all the people on the street in all the different time periods, etc. I don't know exactly how it works, but that's the gist of it. I don't think you have to keep your saves - once you're scored on something, the score stays, even if you write over the save where you got those points.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Adventurer

Thanks, fov. I suddenly have the urge to go rush and replay the game... right now!
I know which dialogues you were talking about, I had a hunch they would be the triggers some way or another. I think I'll go hunt down down ending E, then replay the game to chapter 5 for the other endings.
I suppose the manual threw me for a loop when it said 10 chapters -- I wasn't counting the prologue/epilogue, though the replay value gives me tons more of gameplay anyway.
I love the amount of extra scenes in the game to flesh it all out!
Thanks again
William
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Coming Soon

Send a message via Yahoo to kwbridge

Any branch for an alternative ending doesn't start until chapter 5 so you don't have to replay the first 4 chapters. And most of the branches occur in chapter 8. What I did was use a chapter 5 save from file 1 - resaved it into file 2 and then used the separate files to follow each branch. Since the others occur in chapter 8 the saves didn't matter so much to me and the chapters are short so that I didn't mind replaying chapter 8 multiple times.

I just played this game and loved it - it really made me think about fate and time travel. I think we could also invent a drinking game - take a shot each time Eike dies I've owned it for a couple of years and can't believe I waited so long to play it.

I can't believe you got ending D the first time - many. including me, think that is the best ending. And it is definately worth playing through for all endings to get the bonus chapter 1.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbridge
Any branch for an alternative ending doesn't start until chapter 5 so you don't have to replay the first 4 chapters.
This is true, but there are some neat alternatives in the first 4 chapters that affect later points of the game.

In chapter 1:

Spoiler:
If you go watch the juggler in the square, chapter 4 plays out differently than if you skip the juggler.

Also in chapter 1:

Spoiler:
Instead of using the digipad once and catching Hugo dropping the burning paper by the bar, you can use it several times to go back and forth and are eventually transported inside the bar before the fire starts. Then you can run downstairs and warn the bartender. If you do this, he reacts differently to you when you go back to the bar to eat later.

In chapter 4:

Spoiler:
Instead of using a frying pan, you can help Franssen the photographer get his sign down, and use that as a metal plate.

That's all I can think of at the moment in the early chapters. There are some other mini quests later in the game involving the bakery in different time periods, the egg watch thingie that Franssen gives you in chapter 6, the kittens that are born in the present, and the shooting of Mr. Eckert's wife.

Last edited by fov; 08-19-2005 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Coming Soon

Wow! I had no idea... You must really like this game

I uninstalled it but did keep my saves so maybe I'll go back and try these things.

Spoiler:
I did notice the part with the cats - one time I brought a kitten to the girl and the other time I didn't - I forgot. It was funny to trip all over the cats at the museum/library in the present. Apparently there is also a way to save Miriam? but I was never able to do that.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Adventurer

I just replayed chapter 8 and made the other choice in the conversation with Dana, but was surprised when I was treated again to ending D (with 1 bonus scene about the pentagram). I suppose I need to do a little more with Dana then just make the choice to trigger ending E, do I need to find her again later? I spent the whole time wondering how such a small decision could affect the ending -- but then it didn't so there must be something more relevent I'm missing.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I suppose I need to do a little more with Dana then just make the choice to trigger ending E, do I need to find her again later?
You need to find some way to convince her to come back to the present with you. Just saying it isn't enough; you need to prove to her that her life in the present is worth returning to.

Spoiler:
After the conversation, go back to the present and visit the coffee shop where she works.

Kim, yeah, you could say I'm a little obsessed with this game. I find the premise fascinating and I think they did an excellent job of giving the player lots to do, while also telling a tight story.

About Miriam:

Spoiler:
In chapter 6, after you talk to Homunculus, go back to the time period where she gets shot and try to warn her again not to go that way.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Banned User

**Ahem**....there's a review of this in the reader reviews section...

Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
Coming Soon

Quote:
Kim, yeah, you could say I'm a little obsessed with this game. I find the premise fascinating and I think they did an excellent job of giving the player lots to do, while also telling a tight story.

About Miriam:

Spoiler:
In chapter 6, after you talk to Homunculus, go back to the time period where she gets shot and try to warn her again not to go that way.
I did that but the same thing happened ...

Last edited by fov; 08-21-2005 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #12
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
**Ahem**....there's a review of this in the reader reviews section...

Yeah - but talking about the game with someone who really liked it isn't quite the same as reading a review.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #13
Banned User

Spoiler:
Ahh you did it wrong. When you go back again, after you warn her, you'll see you can follow her this time. Chase her and don't let her out of your sight, and you'll save her. Whured up!!

I loved this game as well. It's friggin WICKTACULAR!

Last edited by fov; 08-21-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

I added a spoiler tag above since I'm not sure WRMW wants to know the details of some of these different things just yet.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I added a spoiler tag above since I'm not sure WRMW wants to know the details of some of these different things just yet.
Thanks. I missed checking the thread for a day or so, so I didn't read it -- I'm replaying so I'll be greatful for all the surprises yet to come, though I'm sure I'll be back to read all the spoilers soon. Just can't resist...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #16
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Spoiler:
Ahh you did it wrong. When you go back again, after you warn her, you'll see you can follow her this time. Chase her and don't let her out of your sight, and you'll save her. Whured up!!
I just replayed this time period and can't get it to work. The only new thing I get is the scene where Homunculous takes the baby (which I think was unlocked and unavailable the first time through). I am unable to go back in time a second time to before the shooting (unless I have to make a stop in one of the other time periods first?). I kinda felt guilty about not being able to save her, so I'm trying to find the way this time through...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I just replayed this time period and can't get it to work. The only new thing I get is the scene where Homunculous takes the baby (which I think was unlocked and unavailable the first time through).
I think this scene has to do with which conversation option you picked in chapter 5. I'm pretty sure you only see it if you're on the path for endings A-C.

Quote:
I am unable to go back in time a second time to before the shooting (unless I have to make a stop in one of the other time periods first?). I kinda felt guilty about not being able to save her, so I'm trying to find the way this time through...
You need to go back at least three times.

Spoiler:

1) The first time, she gets shot
2) The second time, you try to stop her but she gets shot anyway
3) The third time (after the conversation with Homunculus, and right before you get hit by the car in the present), you try to stop her and then have the option to chase after her. If you chase her but she gets out of your sight she'll be shot, so you have to stay right on her heels. If you chase her and she gets shot anyway, you can keep going back and trying again, but I found it hard to go back before the animation of the speeding car started up in the present, so you might have better luck saving a game when you first arrive in the past the third time, and restoring that save if needed.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #18
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Spoiler:

3) The third time (after the conversation with Homunculus, and right before you get hit by the car in the present), you try to stop her and then have the option to chase after her. If you chase her but she gets out of your sight she'll be shot, so you have to stay right on her heels. If you chase her and she gets shot anyway, you can keep going back and trying again, but I found it hard to go back before the animation of the speeding car started up in the present, so you might have better luck saving a game when you first arrive in the past the third time, and restoring that save if needed.
Ok, I think I got it. I was confused because I forgot about the "good semaritan" conversation, so couldn't figure which conversation with homonculus you meant -- I thought I had to go back right after the 1st shooting.

Also, I'm wondering which "other worlds" conversation with homunculus you mentioned in a previous post. He gave me a "branches" talk when I used the sign instead of the frying pan and didn't go back and throw myself the egg. Was it this one, or was there another? (I'm asking because the "Tokyo" unlockable movie started with humunculous talking about tea and coffee, and I assumed that was the conversation you meant.)

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
(I'm asking because the "Tokyo" unlockable movie started with humunculous talking about tea and coffee, and I assumed that was the conversation you meant.)
Yes, the tea and coffee conversation is the one I meant. The "other worlds" theory is basically that for every path Eike could possibly take, a world exists in which he took that path. That's why it's possible for two endings that involve contradictory events to both exist.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #20
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Yes, the tea and coffee conversation is the one I meant. The "other worlds" theory is basically that for every path Eike could possibly take, a world exists in which he took that path. That's why it's possible for two endings that involve contradictory events to both exist.
Hmm... I wonder where that conversation is hiding? Do all the extra scenes get unlocked when you complete the game once? Or are more unlocked with every ending you get?