Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   BS3 crashes and locks up two different PCs (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/873-bs3-crashes-locks-up-two-different-pcs.html)

doughy white 11-14-2003 10:20 AM

BS3 crashes and locks up two different PCs

Ok, so I'm pretty pissed by the technical side of that game.
I've had problems installing it, had to turn off my firewall and reboot my PC (AMD XP200, Win98SE, SOB, Geforce 4 TI4200) twice to just get it to install. Had to reboot PC again to start playing it. When junior wanted to play Fifa, I stopped the game ok but later when I put the CD back in it took my CD drive aeons to read it. I got the install screen first and only then the game screen.
Just now the game froze the PC for no obvious reason, and had to reboot for the n-th time.
I'll have to replay about 20 minutes of the game whenever I feel like I have some more patience. I'm absolutely frustrated and can't really enjoy so far. :(

The game won't even install on Curt's PC, both CD- and DVD drive run wild but cannot pick up anything (he has a P4 2.53, same rest as mine).

I'm close to swearing loud and would be grateful for any ideas as to what could be the problem. Thanks.

I'm done for the night. :\ :(

ysbreker 11-14-2003 10:45 AM

cd drives not recognizing the game cd might have to do with the copy protection.. but I'm not expert...

DomStLeger 11-14-2003 11:13 AM

Thats terrible Doughy, I'm sorry your experience of the game is being ruined by all these technical problems. So far mine hung once and I think that was because I had Kazaa working in the background. So it might be worth checking that any software that may mess around with the harddrive is turned off?

Also, in the game folder where you installed the game, there is a special Safe Video Mode version of the game. If you have persistant problems ingame then thats worth a try (though it doesn't sound like a graphics problem so far, but just in case you do).

Another possibility is dodgy CDs, so it's having trouble reading the data. Sometimes, making a backup copy of your game cds improves things, because programs like Nero etc have error correction.

Dale Baldwin 11-14-2003 11:17 AM

I've had it lock up a couple of times, normally after the end of some speech, but I'm blaming that on my onboard sound, and since saving takes a matter of microseconds it's not that much of a pain to make regular saves.

sensei 11-14-2003 11:35 AM

Thats why I will play BS3 on my PS2:)

Stinger 11-14-2003 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doughy white
Ok, so I'm pretty pissed by the technical side of that game.
I've had problems installing it, had to turn off my firewall and reboot my PC (AMD XP200, Win98SE, SOB, Geforce 4 TI4200) twice to just get it to install. Had to reboot PC again to start playing it. When junior wanted to play Fifa, I stopped the game ok but later when I put the CD back in it took my CD drive aeons to read it. I got the install screen first and only then the game screen.
Just now the game froze the PC for no obvious reason, and had to reboot for the n-th time.
I'll have to replay about 20 minutes of the game whenever I feel like I have some more patience. I'm absolutely frustrated and can't really enjoy so far. :(

The game won't even install on Curt's PC... :(

Curt's PC?

Wait a sec...

You're Meg?!

OK, am I the only one on the forums that didn't know this?

remixor 11-14-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
Curt's PC?

Wait a sec...

You're Meg?!

OK, am I the only one on the forums that didn't know this?

Yeah, I didn't know for a while either, but individual people figured it out on an individual basis. Then someone brought it up in a thread and it was confirmed. ;)

Garyos 11-14-2003 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Then someone brought it up in a thread and it was confirmed. ;)

I won a prize!

James 11-14-2003 12:36 PM

eh gods! meg - good to see you! pity bout the game, sure youll get it working soon.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-14-2003 01:01 PM

My god, you guys are slooooow! Didn't the name 'doughy white' give her away?!! As in [Michael Douglas'] 'doughy white' ass? That running joke we shared a long time ago?!

jannar85 11-14-2003 01:09 PM

Who's Meg? :o

remixor 11-14-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannar85
Who's Meg? :o

She used the name "Meg Ryan" on the old boards

Intrepid Homoludens 11-14-2003 01:19 PM

More specifically, 'megryan2001'.

Stinger 11-14-2003 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
My god, you guys are slooooow! Didn't the name 'doughy white' give her away?!! As in [Michael Douglas'] 'doughy white' ass? That running joke we shared a long time ago?!

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it took place in Chit Chat.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-14-2003 01:20 PM

To be perfectly honest, Evan, I have no idea where in the forum that joke began! *D

jannar85 11-15-2003 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
More specifically, 'megryan2001'.

Ooooh!

*waves*

twifkak 11-15-2003 04:32 PM

Wow. I remember the doughy white joke, but not once did I make the connection. Craziness.