You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Syberia nVidia Problem.

Hello.
Recently I finally came into possession of Syberia 1+2, the last of the "great" adventure games I had yet to play, and I have been having problems with Syberia 1.

The problem is that in the Voralberg factory at the beginning of the game the game pauses for several seconds to load during scene changes.
After it has done this roughly three times the computer will either restart or the cpu usage will jump to 100%.
Windows error report indicates that it is a problem with my nVidia card.

I am playing on Windows XP, have an Athlon 64 3200+, 128mb nVidia Geforce FX6600GT and any help is really appreciated.

Last edited by Son Goku; 05-07-2005 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum!

There is a patch that helps with performance problems. I have not heard of exactly what you're describing, but it couldn't hurt to try it. Since your game is repackaged Syberia 1 + 2 I don't know if the game would be prepatched, though.

Do you have the most recent drivers for your card?

-emily
Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
The Solomon of Sarcasm

This or something similar happened to me as well with Syberia 1. My solution was simply to tough it out: save often and hope that it didn't crash again on me. I tend not to look for patches because I have the slowest dialup in the history of mankind (including that of the Ottoman Empire circa the 1400s), and so downloads are slow and painful experiences akin to a tapeworm infestation. The Syberia problem probably won't cause that much a disruption for you, because I found it didn't crash that often. Sometimes, loading new screens may take a rather long time, but half the time it loads in regular time.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 05-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #4

I had a problem on any scene changes that faded to black first as opposed to just cutting. When a door opens the screen gets very colorful and pixelated then fades back to normal colors as you enter the next room.

This was fixed by updating the video drivers for my nVidea card.

Note... my girlfriend played Black Mirror first and it did the same thing. We just thought it was a bug in that game.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:23 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to _R0guE_

I'm also experiencing problems while playing Syberia. The computer keeps restarting every 10-15 minutes and the monitor goes on stand by for a while (not to mention the excruciating loading times in between scenes). The thing is, Ive tried the patch mentioned earlier, but that doesn't seem to solve my problem. Has anyone found a reliable solution to this?

My configuration is: Windows Xp, Nvidia Gefore 5500 FX, 512 DDRAM, Athlon 2800 Mhz...
Ill be really grateful
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Ick. That doesn't sound good. (Stupid question - this is ONLY happening when you play Syberia?)

Are you using Service Pack 2? Is it Syberia I or Syberia II that you're playing?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:17 AM   #7

I have Windows XP with Service pack 2 and everything.. And Im playing Syberia 1..and yes it is hapenning only when playing Syberia *sniff
Old 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Gold Elite

This is strange because I have exactly the same specs as you..I mean exactly and absolutely no probs whatsoever with Syberia. I'd re-install it. Or uninstall, do a disk clean and de-frag. Then re-install. It's boring obvious advice, I know. Or as fov says, update your drivers maybe?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #9

Neah, I have the latest drivers. Nonetheless, I gave it a try (un-install, re-install, etc) but Im facing the same problems unfortunately. Isn't there any patch capable to fix this? Or..well..something..