You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 03:47 AM   #1
Mystic

Default Monkey Island 1: Am i screwed?

I just threw the chunk of meat to governor marley's pirhana poodles.... and they gobbled it up, and nothing else happened. Am i screwed?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Nope, just get a new piece of meat. But next time, you have to put something in the meat, for it to be effective. I heard some people get sleepy from some "herbs" and plants.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Nope, just get a new piece of meat. But next time, you have to put something in the meat, for it to be effective. I heard some people get sleepy from some "herbs" and plants.
LMAO! i got it now. thank you for such a prompt answer. funny.. sometimes I get sleepy from certain herbs and plants..
Old 04-30-2005, 05:44 AM   #4
Mystic

Default uh-oh..

I was in the forest-- and i came upon this stump.. and it asked me to insert all these discs, and i just pushed enter through it.. and now he says 'just an ordinary stump'... this is bad, right?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrandian
I was in the forest-- and i came upon this stump.. and it asked me to insert all these discs, and i just pushed enter through it.. and now he says 'just an ordinary stump'... this is bad, right?
Nope, its just a joke. It was a joke about those old games which had a huge amount of disks, and required you to change them nearly as often.

In Monkey Island 3, the stump re-appears in an Easter Egg. You look out of the stump, but are not able to fit through it.

Don't worry, the stump is not important at all.

-

Old 04-30-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
Mystic

Quote:
Don't worry, the stump is not important at all.
phew. thanks again jaz :-)
Old 04-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #7

Ironic though, that Monkey Island 1 was one of the games with least number of disks and least amount of swapping. On the amiga it was 4 disks, and not too much swapping was required.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Ironic though, that Monkey Island 1 was one of the games with least number of disks and least amount of swapping. On the amiga it was 4 disks, and not too much swapping was required.

I'm not sure. It might have also been in relation to older disks having a smaller disk space. I am thinking of 5.5 inch floppies. I think the 3.5 inch floppies had more space on them? I don't know.

Edit: Monkey Island 2 had 5-8 disks, if I remember right.

-

Old 04-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

They "reveal" the other end of the stump in Monkey Island 3

The joke has appeared in a few other places as well...

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
They "reveal" the other end of the stump in Monkey Island 3

The joke has appeared in a few other places as well...

What game is that? Grim Fandango?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Yeah, Grim.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #12
Mystic

Quote:
Yeah, Grim.
that was an awesome post with all those examples.. did you screen capture them specifically for this post or did you have them for another reason? (the likes of which i couldnt possibly guess)
Old 04-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
The Dartmaster

The images are in fact stolen from the Mixnmojo.com and Razputin.net injoke and reference pages Someone else did the work for me, I just knew where to find them.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Doctor Watson

BTW, you CAN'T get stuck in LucasArts games. As far as I know, there's ONE easter egg that you can discover that will lead you to being stuck in Monkey Island 1, but you will NOT discover it either deliberately or by accident.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
BTW, you CAN'T get stuck in LucasArts games. As far as I know, there's ONE easter egg that you can discover that will lead you to being stuck in Monkey Island 1, but you will NOT discover it either deliberately or by accident.
If we're thinking of the same one, it is possible to hit it accidently -- you just have to be very... not clever (or very, very, slow).
Old 04-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #16
The Dartmaster

Which easter egg is that? I don't know of any way to get screwed in Monkey Island 1 except ctrl-w (save first before trying that).
Old 04-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not sure. It might have also been in relation to older disks having a smaller disk space. I am thinking of 5.5 inch floppies. I think the 3.5 inch floppies had more space on them? I don't know.

Edit: Monkey Island 2 had 5-8 disks, if I remember right.

-
5-8 on the PC perhaps, but on the Amiga it was 11.

Back then, I tried to calculate if this tree-stump joke was a hint of a Monkey Island 3, because of the disk. Think about it: SMI is on 4 disks (I'm thinking amiga here), MI2 is 11 disks. That's 15 disks. I then assumed that since it asks for disk 22, there'll be at least 7 disks worth of game in MI3, and considering MI2 was 11 disks that wouldn't be too optimistic. Therefore, I thought that in MI3, you'd get through that stump somehow (and magically be able to intertwine the stories somehow if you had both SMI and MI3 on the amiga). Well... I wasn't TOO far off.

Would be cool, wouldn't it? Maybe if Ron had made a MI3, and that tree-stump joke was originally more important that it seems, we'd even know the real secret of Monkey Island (TM)? And Ron would've been a bigger legend that ever for doing something so out of this world.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
capsized.

Quote:
BTW, you CAN'T get stuck in LucasArts games.

At least you could get stuck in Lucasfilm Games games. Coolest feature evaa.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Adventurer

Quote:
Which easter egg is that? I don't know of any way to get screwed in Monkey Island 1 except ctrl-w (save first before trying that).
Spoiler:
I mean Guybrush drowning if you stay underwater for more than 10 minutes when you are tied to the statue thing -- remember, guybrush can only hold his breath for 10 mins! The thing is, it's really hard not to solve the puzzle in the "limited" timeframe you have. But you do have to reload a previous save, IIRC.

I've never tried pressing ctrl-w... I think I may have to crack out MI1 and try it...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:15 PM   #20

I think MI1 may have been the first game you could not get stuck in. If dieing is a form of getting stuck then I think you could die in Loom (if not loom could be the first, for some reason I think it came out a few months ahead of MI1 but it could be the other way around) and I know you could die in Zak McCracken (spelling). And you could also die in Maniac Mansion. I define getting stuck as anything that requires you to go back and load a saved game. But yes the rule since MI1 has been no useless death and no getting stuck. Sierra did the opposite. They used getting death and getting stuck as a way to make a game last longer. Not to mention at least one classic maze and one open area maze per game. All big negatives in my book.

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic gender bender did death well. It would reload you to the scene just before the death so you can enjoy it but not really get stuck. There were a few places where you had to die at least once to find out that you needed to do something.

Quote: