Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Bad Mojo Redux: won't even start.... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/6353-bad-mojo-redux-wont-even-start.html)

heymonkey 01-11-2005 04:25 PM

Bad Mojo Redux: won't even start....

Hello,

I have also emailed tech support, but wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on getting this game going. I'm really looking forward to playing it. I installed the game, and when clicking on the executable (or a shortcut to it) an hourglass appears next to the cursor for several seconds, then disappears. Nothing happens. BADMOJO.EXE is listed as a "process" in task manager, but not under "applications".

Some system info:
Windows 2k Pro SP4
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1,048,048 KB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I've heard alot about this game over the years and am really looking forward to playing!

Thanks!

heymonkey 01-11-2005 05:31 PM

DX & QT

Also, thought I'd include:

DirectX 9.0c
QuickTime 6.5.1

fov 01-11-2005 11:29 PM

Welcome to the forum! *D

Hopefully you'll get a response from tech support. If you do, please tell us what they say.

Are you able to use compatibility mode? (I think it came with one of the service packs for 2k?) If so, have you tried putting the .exe in compatibility mode before playing the game?

Also, did you install the version of Quicktime that came with the game? If not, you could try uninstalling the Quicktime you have and instead installing the version that came with the game.

-emily

heymonkey 01-12-2005 09:49 AM

Compatibility Mode...?

Thanks for the welcome!

I actually did uninstall QT and installed the version on the Bad Mojo CD.

I am not familiar with "compatibility mode", but will look into it when I get back to my home PC.

So far, no response from tech support.

In any case, once I find a solution, I'll let you all know what it is.

Thanks for your help!

fov 01-12-2005 09:55 AM

On XP, to access compatibility mode you right-click the file, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab. From here you can put the game in compatibility mode for win95, win98, ME, NT, or 2k. I don't know if it works the same way in Windows 2000. If you have the option, I'd try putting it in XP compatibility mode first, and if that doesn't work try the others.

If the whole right-clicking thing doesn't work, go to your Windows Help and see if a search for Compatibility Mode turns anything up. It may have a different interface on 2k.

-emily

heymonkey 01-13-2005 07:40 AM

Compatibility Mode

Well, last night, searching the help files for Compatibility Mode didn't turn up much. Bad Mojo still not running and no response from tech support. I wish more places would at least send an automated response assuring me that my email was received and the issue would be looked into... In any case, searching the 'net today, I came across the following which has brought me hope that I'll be playing tonight :)

"It is reasonably well known that Windows XP has a compatibility mode that can be used for software that will not run in its native mode. The application runs just as it would on another chosen Windows platform. Any shortcut to an application, whether it is on the start menu, the desktop or elsewhere can be used to gain access to this feature.

To use it:

Right click the shortcut to the application.
Click properties.
Click the compatibility tab.
Check the Run in compatibility mode checkbox.
From the dropdown list, select the operating system that you want to run this application under.

Note: This will only work if you right-click on a shortcut to an application such as you find on the start menu or that applications put onto the desktop when they are installed. It will not work if you right-click on the application itself.

Unfortunately it seems this this was not an option in Windows 2000 as it was shipped.
However it has been available as an option if you have installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher. It was not enabled by default on Service Pack 2, systems that are subsequently upgraded to Service Pack 3 may well already have this enabled, but some systems that are clean installed to Service Pack 3 may well to have a dll file registered to make it work.

If you are running Windows 2000 with service pack 2 or higher and this option isn't working, you can enable it as follows:

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type CMD.
In the command prompt window that opens, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\AppPatch\slayerui.dll.

You will receive a message that the DLL has been successfully registered. The compatibility mode option is now available for use.
Now right click the shortcut and click properties on the context menu."

Just wanted to share in case anyone else (Win 2k users) could benefit from this...

heymonkey 01-13-2005 01:44 PM

Compatibility Modes Fail

Ok, no luck with the Compatibility Modes. I have the available options:

Windows 95 Compatibility Layer
Windows 98 Compatibility Layer
Windows NT4 SP5 Compatibility Layer

None of these seem to work. All of the other games I have installed seem to work fine. No word from Got Game Tech Support yet... Frustrating.

fov 01-13-2005 01:57 PM

Bah. I'm sorry it didn't work. Is win2k listed as one of the supported platforms? (Not that it should matter that much...) Do you have any kind of antivirus or other programs running at the same time?

The game was only just released, so hopefully even if Got Game doesn't have a solution yet, they'll come up with one.

-emily

jtoast 01-15-2005 05:12 PM

I get a little farther than you do. I click play on the opening screen, the sewer door opens and I get a black screen with nothing.

Cloake 01-16-2005 08:05 AM

Hey heymonkey,

I'm in the same situation as you, only I have XP. If you ever get a reply, please let me know.

heymonkey 01-18-2005 09:22 AM

BAD mojo

It's nice to know that there are others out there (and I'm sorry to hear it, too). I'll let you know once I figure out what's going on. I'm actively seeking a solution and dedicating more hours per week to this than I'd like to admit. Nice to know that I'm not alone, but hope we'll all be playing soon. Well, I guess upgrading to XP is not necessarily the solution.... That'll save me some time & money this week, since that was to be the next step!

Thanks,

heymonkey

heymonkey 01-27-2005 12:33 PM

Tech Support Responds

Heard from tech support yesterday after I had emailed what I perceived to be the next level above Bad Mojo specific support. They suggested that this issue was a case of improper installation. Also, they said that there were no other reports of this issue on Win2k systems. I will reply detailing the steps I have already taken in attempting to play Bad Mojo. More info when it's available!

Manatu 01-19-2008 05:41 AM

Hi, Any luck yet?
I bought the game recently and got the same problem... no answer from xider-games or pulse either...

ProggleRock 01-19-2008 06:35 AM

I have a similar problem. Won't even start on XP. Tech support not responding.

Manatu 01-21-2008 12:39 PM

After 1 week i got an answer from tech support... not a very helpfull one anyway!
I tried what they told me to do, i even installed the game in a less-than-8-letters-long folder in the root but it still doesn´t work.
I´ll paste here the full email i received from them, maybe someone can read something usefull between the lines...
(what i read between the lines was: Our XP support is very primitive! You should have bought the DOS version and followed one of the many guides in the internet to make it work perfectly in windows XP!)

"SupportMK2 <[email protected]>"
Dear bhv customer,

Many thanks for your inquiry.

Many thanks for having chosen our product. Please uninstall the software completely and delete all remaining folders, files and registration keys. Close all programs, especially the ones right next to the clock, or rather remove them from the autostart completeley. Please use the particular configuration in the appropriate program which is to be closed. You then reinstall the software and get the latest update right away. This should solve the problem.

Please note that with every installation all other programs should be deactivated (whether this is about SP2 or some other software). All other applications should be closed. Shall an error occur the first thing to do is to run a test without any other backgroundprograms being open. Doing that, incompabilities and interactions can be excluded. It should be installed expediently on 'C:\Programme' as Windows is sometimes prone to set the strings in the registry incorrectly.

As we need further information we kindly ask you to send us the DxDiag report. To generate the report, please use the following steps.

1. Click on 'Start', point to 'Run', type in 'dxdiag' and hit 'OK'.
2. In the window that follows near the bottom, click on \'Save all information\'.
3. When asked where you want to save it please choose your Desktop.
4. You will now have a file on your desktop called 'DxDiag.txt'. Please attach it to your next email.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact us anytime.

Kind regards,
Florian Neubert
bhv Support

I really hope someone finds out what wrong with this game!

misa 01-21-2008 05:10 PM

Have you guys tried these settings?

http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofi...dMojoSetup.htm

ProggleRock 01-21-2008 05:32 PM

I'm almost certain it has something to do with Quicktime.

Errol 04-06-2008 01:55 PM

It is most definitely something to do with QuickTime. If you uninstall QT completely and attempt to play the game you get a few QTInit errors but the game will actually work. Unfortunately it is nigh on impossible to play like this as you need the cutscenes to know what is going on.

If I find a way to make the game work properly I'll post an update.

-Errol

UPDATE!!

I've got it licked. This is a little convoluted but I'll attempt to explain it.

1) Uninstall whatever version of QuickTime you have (especially if it is the version that came with the game)
2) Install QuickTime Alternative v1.56 (available here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfi...timealt156.exe)
3) Go to Start > Programs > QuickTime Alternative > Configuration > QuickTime
4) Go to the final entry in the drop down list (Video Settings) and select "Safe Mode (GDI Only)" and close the configuration tool.
5) Play Bad Mojo Redux!

Finally;
I unticked "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" in the BadMojo.exe > Properties > Compatibility tab and also turned off fullscreen movies in the ingame preferences. Try this if things still don't run.

Hope this helps.

-Errol

Dick Winslow 05-22-2008 08:21 PM

yesh, umm, i'm faced with the same dilemma myself. I've tried out the suggestions given here, and if you root through the QuickTime settings from the CONTROL PANEL and switch to Safe Mode GDI Only (I did this with Morpheus and it seemed to do the trick, although it made the videos lag quite a bit), it'll make it all the way to the menu! but the videos play frame by frame like a slideshow and that's no fun at all. I’ve tried the QT alternative as well and VLC Media Player (which prompts a new kind of error, “QT Not Initialized”)

i'm laughing right now because laughter is the best medicine. Hahahaha! HAHAHA!! if I don't laugh I'll have a psychotic breakdown, I swear I will. QT has thwarted my attempts to play Blackstone Chronicles (crashed on launch) and now Bad Mojo Redux (crashed on launch. XP tolerant my aunt fanny!) and that behind-the-scenes segment had me so hyped (only saw a little bit of it of course. don't wanna spoil anything!)… please if anyone out there has a solution handy, there’s a lot of us in need of one.

So it seems if you turn off Full Screen it makes the videos play not so sluggishly... but it's still pretty bad. and the screen size is twice as small. sigh @ life. If you play them straight from the BM folder, smooth as a baby's bottom. I know the answer is probably right under my nose... and who shall be my savior this evening? Cause I wanna play this game SO BAD!

EDIT #55: know what, i'm mighty clever yes I am. I just went ahead and started the game and i'll X out any clips within a few seconds, jump to the menu and mute the sound, open the MOVIES folder and watch it from there. really it doesn't disrupt the flow or anything, it's really not that big of a hassle if you leave the folder minimized at all times. the only catch is there's dozens of clips to sort through, but i'm just thankful the game works.

Morden 05-23-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Errol
I unticked "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" in the BadMojo.exe > Properties > Compatibility tab (...)

You don't have to do this, and you shouldn't. It doesn't affect the stability of the game, but will cause it to display everything on a smaller area, depending on what your desktop resolution is. Some video drivers have problems with displaying 640 x 480 at lower color depths, but if it works for you with forced 640 x 480, it's a good idea to leave it ticked, since that's how the game should be played.