You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Legacy Dark Shadows - Problems Installing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Legacy Dark Shadows - Problems Installing

I put the first disk in the CD-ROM drive, and it took forever for the slider-bar indicator to move about a quarter of the way across, about 40 minutes. Finally, I was instructed to insert the second disk in the drive, and so I did. Within a few minutes a window opened up which stated that the "Disk contains more than one type of content-What do you want Windows to do?" Seven options were given, and I proceeded with what was already highlighted "Play Media Files using Real Player." After this Real Player came up on my machine with something like a little over 1100 snippets of audio from the game. One by one, it started to play these snippets, none was more than a few seconds in length but with over 1100 of them I gave up and aborted the installation.

I have never come across this situation in installing a game before, I don't understand why I was given a choice or why I went out to Real Player, or if I made the right choice when I came to this part of the installation. Am I doing something wrong, is my machine lacking something....HELP, I am completely at a dead end.

Thanx in advance,

Antoinetta
Old 12-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That window is part of Windows XP and is a result of 'autorun' understanding some files on the disc. You should probably have chosen the "Take no action" option - or hold down shift when you insert the second CD so autorun isn't triggered.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 12-05-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

The same thing happened to someone over at Gameboomers (see this thread).

Just hit 'Cancel' when you get that window and the installation should continue normally.

Sorry to hear the install is taking such a long time. It was slow for me too and I thought it had hung at one point, but I was able to see by going into the Legacy directory that files were still being copied over, just very slowly.

-emily
Old 12-07-2004, 02:30 AM   #4

Technically, I'm pretty out of it. How do I temporarily disable my Autorun mechanism. This seems like it would be more sure than holding down the shift or control key.

Thanx, Antoinetta
Old 12-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Holding down shift or control (not sure which, sorry) when you insert the disk disables it temporarily.

I'm sorry I can't give you instructions for disabling it permanently right now because I'm on a Mac. Try going to the help menu and type in 'Autorun' - the instructions are usually pretty good. If that doesn't help, I can get back to you tonight when I'm on my PC.

-emily
Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay... if you go into My Computer, right-click on your CD drive and select Properties, there is a tab for AutoPlay. This lets you select what the computer does for each type of media (pictures, movies, etc.) or tell the computer not to do anything. I can't find a way to turn off autorun in all situations.

I suggest just hitting 'cancel' on that window that pops up asking you how you want to open the files on the CD. That would probably be the easiest thing to do (and it worked for the lady who had the same problem at Gameboomers).

Let me know if this works.

-emily
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The same thing happened to someone over at Gameboomers (see this thread).

Just hit 'Cancel' when you get that window and the installation should continue normally.

Sorry to hear the install is taking such a long time. It was slow for me too and I thought it had hung at one point, but I was able to see by going into the Legacy directory that files were still being copied over, just very slowly.

-emily
The installation took long time for me too, but the completed % was moving, so I never got the impression that it will hung. Another problem to add to the many problems this game has, technical or not.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #8

I hit "Take no Action" (cancel) on the window, but when I did, my cursor changed from an arrow to an hourglass shape, and stayed that way. After 15-20 minutes of nothing apparently happening, with the cursor remaining an hourglass and the progress-bar not moving, I gave up. While the first disk was loading, my cursor had remained in its customary arrow shape, so I'm afraid that the prolonged appearance of the hourglass indicates that something is hung up.

Antoinetta
Old 12-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I haven't read your exact problem, but there is a Game will not install thread on the official forums, maybe that thread can help you (or post your question there so that the developers might read it).

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Somebody else on GB said he had to wait for the CD to stop spinning (about 3 minutes) before he hit a button. You could try that. I imagine you're getting pretty fed up by now though.

Do you have more than one CD drive? If yes, I suggest trying the other drive. Maybe it will like the disks better.

Another thing you could try is to copy the contents of the disks onto your computer and install from them that way. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about CD / drive issues interrupting your install. I don't know for sure if you'll be able to do this, but I don't see why not (when it tells you to insert disk 2, you'd just have to navigate to where you put it on your hard drive, rather than to your CD).

-emily
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #11

Thanx everyone, I finally got the game up and running. I clicked on the little X in the upper right corner of the window and killed it, and the game continued to install. Had to do this again when I put the third disk in the machine; now I have just started to play the game.

Antoinetta
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Woohoo! Glad you got it going. Now that the game is installed, you don't even need the CD in the drive.

-emily
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
Thanx everyone, I finally got the game up and running. I clicked on the little X in the upper right corner of the window and killed it, and the game continued to install. Had to do this again when I put the third disk in the machine; now I have just started to play the game.

Antoinetta
Ha Ha, now try and uninstall it - expect some weird things again!
This game doesn't even appear in add/rempve programs! and when uninstalled, 2+mb of files remains, as well as the start menu shortcut and the uninstallation file THAT STILL WORKS AGAIN AND AGAIN EVEN THOUGH THE GAME IS LONG GONE!!