You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems (King's Quest 7) question! please try to answer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #21

Default Panic

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I tried fov's suggestion and added the text to the resource and sierra files, but when I open KQ7 it still says Windows title not found and when I click on that it says Panic can't find sierra.err

Please help! I really want to play this game.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #22

Default Please Help

I am trying to play my old Kings Quest 7
I am running Windows XP Home. The KQ7 v. 1.51 (windows only version).

I tried to do the ".exe" switch... it worked for a while, but it kept on freezing (during the first chapter i couldnt enter the 'endless desert')

I tired to use the patch to convert it to DOS, but my CD wont copy the "resource.ooo" file, so it wont work.

I read the 11/30/05 fov post but im not sure how to edit those files.

If you can help - please email me

Thank you
Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Stalker of Britain

Okay, so I've run into my first bug in the new Kings Quest Collection. I can't give the wooden nickle to the guy in the Faux shop in the 7th game, which is of course a bug. I've looked at patches for the game, but they are all to play the games in Dosbox. I don't really want to run them in that, since I don't know how to put commands into the program and stuff. Is there a way to get a patch for my problem without having to run the 7th game in Dos box?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #24

Game: KQ7 1.65c windows 3.1 version
Error: Windows title not found

I copied the entire contents of the game disk to C: \SIERRA\KQ7
I changed SIERRA.INF and RESOURCE.WIN to reflect the new location of the files as appropriate. I preformed a system restart just for kicks. Then I played with the options in the compatibility tab on SIERRAW.EXE, but to no avail. Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325979/KQVII.jpg

Last edited by mrredhatter; 07-29-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: C:\ makes an unintended yellow face so i will use C: \
Old 07-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #25

There is a very nasty speed bug that you will not be able to pass without DOSBox. You would have to skip that chapter and loose your progress you've made. You will start the next chapter without all of the inventory items you had.

It won't help you with 1.65c, but my installer automates setting up everything in DOSBox. It only works with 1.4, 1.51 and 2. It upgrades the lesser versions to 2.00b, which was the most bug free version. Unfortunately, I can't add support for your version since I don't have a copy of it.

You could setup Win3x in DOSBox to play your version in DOSBox to avoid the speed bug, but that would be a lot of work for one game. You would also need to locate the install disks for Win3x, install it, install drivers and then install the game.

That said, and if you are willing to skip the chapter and still want to get it running without DOSBox, compatibility mode will not help. The main problem with it not starting is that the game can't find its resources because you did not specify the configuration file. The DOS SCI games look in its own folder for this file. Windows SCI games often need to be told where it is. You will need to add the path to it as an argument to the shortcut. It is best to use the installer that came from the game. It would have done this for you.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #26

I own a physical copy of the newest KQ collection if that helps. But they jacked up the file structure on this release, so I'm guessing it was a waste of $. Example of my physical copy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000AYFPKG (I don't know the actual version number.) Also if you want a copy of KQ7 "1.65c" so you can support it, tell me.

Last edited by mrredhatter; 07-29-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #27

This will fix it.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Update...xUpdaters.html
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #28

I managed to obtain a copy of KQ7 "2.00b". I want to create a KQ7 folder that has every required game file to run without the CD. And is executable in windows 7, preferably without the need to employ DosBox etc. Is this a possibility?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #29

There is a very nasty speed bug that you will not be able to play past on a modern computer without DOSBox. Additionally, if you have 64-bit Windows you will not be able to play the Windows version at all. DOSBox is, by far, the best possible solution.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Update...llers.html#KQ7
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #30

Using the KQ7 "2.00b" and DosBox, can I create a stand alone folder that has one icon that a monkey can launch without having to configure anything? My monkey want to play the game without having to become a rocket scientist like yourself.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #31

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Update...llers.html#KQ7