You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Hey all been off for a bit (had PC issues all fixed i hope) question on BS 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 AM   #1
Taggert Man of Action

Send a message via AIM to TMOA Send a message via MSN to TMOA
Default Hey all been off for a bit (had PC issues all fixed i hope) question on BS 1

Well i orderd my copy of BS1 got it in the mail yesterday and it wont install ><
the first CD seems to be damaged cause the second one reads fine and all my other games i installed worked fine but this one jsut wont read.
Now heres a bit of a odd question. ..
anyone here have BS1 that could copy their first CD to a bin file and host it (i know its big) so i can dl it and save it to a CD so i can actually play the game since i cant even install it and if i have to ship it back (to the UK) i wont be playing it at all for quite some time :/

PLMK if you can help and yes i know this is a odd request but i am outta options till i hear from them .

thanks
TMOA

TWOA (tina woman of action) Uhhh a rubber duck, a bandaid, a glove and some other stuff....

TMOA .....did you stop by Aprils house again, cause i think ya got her bag .....

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

What's wrong with the disk? It just won't read at all? (I mean, you put it in your CD drive and then can't see the files on the disk?) Have you tried wiping it off with a cloth? (Dumb question maybe, but you never know!) If it is damaged, have you spoken with the seller to see if they can replace it without you having to send it back?

I have the US version of the game, so I can't help you with files.

-emily
Old 08-24-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Taggert Man of Action

FOV,
i have the US version, just that i got it shiopped from the UK
The disk is damaged near the edge has what appears to be a worn spot :/

It goes in and i can brows the files but it will not read to install the game at all
I have contacted the seller but have yet to hear anything ><

Lemme know if ya can help

TWOA (tina woman of action) Uhhh a rubber duck, a bandaid, a glove and some other stuff....

TMOA .....did you stop by Aprils house again, cause i think ya got her bag .....

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

If you can figure out what file(s) is damaged I may be able to help. I can't host the whole thing.

Out of curiosity, have you tried copying all the files to your hard drive and running installation from there? (Doing this might also help you find out which file is causing the problem.)

-emily
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Taggert Man of Action

Fov,
i tried desperatly last night to copy the CD using Nero and even that failed
I got a email responce from the company today and they refunded my money...but will not replace the disc
So now i have Broken Disc the game ..lol
If you or anyone could copy the first disc to CD and send it to me i would be most greatfull . i will even post a pic proving that i own it as to not raise suspicion

I hope someone can help me with this if ya can PM me and we can talk

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOA
Fov,
i tried desperatly last night to copy the CD using Nero and even that failed
I got a email responce from the company today and they refunded my money...but will not replace the disc
So now i have Broken Disc the game ..lol
If you or anyone could copy the first disc to CD and send it to me i would be most greatfull . i will even post a pic proving that i own it as to not raise suspicion

I hope someone can help me with this if ya can PM me and we can talk
If they refunded your money, can't you just order a new copy?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

That's what I think you should do. It's good that they've refunded your money.

I can understand your frustration, but copying the whole disc gets into murky waters legally and I'd rather not go there. I hope you understand.

emily
Old 08-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm assuming that the version of BS that you got was a Sold-Out Software version, right? If so, I can happily vouch for the usual quality of their products, and of their general customer service. Surely you have nothing to lose but time by trying again?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Taggert Man of Action

Yes the copy i got was from Sold out,
altho i dont doubt there a good company the fact that i asked for another copy and instead they refunded the money kinda bortherd me :/

ill keep my eyes out even thos since i leagally own the game recieving a copy of the first disc would be acceptable because im mearly copying something i own from someone else who owns it thus for all rights and purposes its a back up copy....right?

Just a thought

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-27-2004, 08:49 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
ill keep my eyes out even thos since i leagally own the game recieving a copy of the first disc would be acceptable because im mearly copying something i own from someone else who owns it thus for all rights and purposes its a back up copy....right?
Yes and no. It's shaky legally, and due to AG's policy on pirated software, the logicstics of making "backup copies" is something I'd rather stay away from. I understand that you own a copy, but the request isn't THAT different than someone who says "I used to own Broken Sword 1 and I'd really like to play it again... can you tell me where to download it?" Of course, that request would not be okay. So where is the line drawn?

I find it strange that Sold-Out Software wasn't willing to replace the disk, but if they've refunded your money, why not just buy another copy from them (or on ebay - there are several auctions going on right now with Buy It Now of about $8 US)? By refunding your money, they've actually saved you/themselves the expense of you mailing back the defective game...

-emily
Old 08-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #11
Taggert Man of Action

Turns put that the disc was bought by a 3rd party, and sold that way i recieved this e-mail yesterday:
We as a company do not sell our games via Ebay as we have out own online
store, unfortunately as this was bought from a third party you will need
to take this up with the seller.

Regards,

Tech Support

So atm it seems im SOL as they say, im trying everything i know to copy the disc to a folder and then make a fresh copy, even found the dll that was dmgd online to replace it, but it seems my music folder has a ton of errors (or thats the section of the disc thats dmgd

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-28-2004, 01:47 AM   #12
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Here's a few things you can do that might fix your disk...

1. Try playing the game with ScummVM. Haven't tried it myself, because the game runs just fine for me sans program, but if you can't get it too work from the disk, this might be your only option.

2. If you have a diskburner, burn a copy of your problem disk. Sometimes a diskburn can fix imperfections, as I've found occasionally with older music CDs.

3. Commit ritual suicide.

4. Buy another copy of the game.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 08-28-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Have you taken it up with the ebay seller?

What version of the game is this? Is it called "Broken Sword" or "Circle of Blood"?

-emily