You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems How to play Gabriel Knight 1 Sins of the Fathers (with sound) on XP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #1

Default How to play Gabriel Knight 1 Sins of the Fathers (with sound) on XP

LucasArts games have the scum emulator...but I wonder if there is a emulator that lets you play Sierra games on the XP?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:08 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Marius

I don't know if there is any emulator made specifically for Sierra games, but for Gabriel Knight 1 you must use DosBox or maybe VDM Sound. Here's a link that might be helpful:
Steve's XP Games Corner
Old 07-16-2004, 05:31 AM   #3
Life and times of...

Well, it worked fine with me (I think), after I got the game rolling (it works fine otherwise?) Does it send any error messages?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Well, it worked fine with me (I think), after I got the game rolling (it works fine otherwise?) Does it send any error messages?
Well...it works...it has music but no voices? It says that my CD player speed is too fast (4X) and that to play the game it has to be (1X). Is there something that I can do to slow down the speed?
Old 07-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

try creating an ISO image of the game. then emulate a cd-rom drive to play the ISO, it may work then.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

If you can't get the voices to work, you don't need them to play the game. Go into the options menu and turn off voices / turn on text. It's not ideal, but if it's the only way you can play it's worth a shot. The narrator has a really annoying voice anyway... a lot of people choose text instead of having to listen to her.

-emily
Old 07-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If you can't get the voices to work, you don't need them to play the game. Go into the options menu and turn off voices / turn on text. It's not ideal, but if it's the only way you can play it's worth a shot. The narrator has a really annoying voice anyway... a lot of people choose text instead of having to listen to her.

-emily

I know, I did that...but the only reason I got the CD was because of the voices. Its more realistic that way. Anyway another problem is that I can't make the game to be in fullscreen, instead it is in window mode. I am so annoyed.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Are you using DosBox and the DOS version of the game? As far as I know, that is the only way to get GK1 working on XP (I haven't tried it, myself). There are instructions here. DosBox lets you slow down your CPU - maybe it also slows down the CD-ROM?

For the full screen thing, you probably have to set your monitor to 640x480 resolution. XP doesn't list this as an option in the display properties but you can do it manually. Right click on your desktop and go to Properties / Settings / Advanced / Adapter / List All Modes. From the list, select 640x480 resolution and 256 colors.

-emily
Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
Banned User

Check out this page.