You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Same problem with both Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
Pure Smooth Hell

Default Same problem with both Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango

When I'm playing either of these two games the sound goes crazy all the time, like looping or something, so they'll repeat the same word constantly, or the same sound. When this happens I have to save, quit and start again before it goes away. It's really really annoying and it's all the time. Anyone have any idea what I can do?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

try updating your sound card drivers, if that does'nt work then i suggest you use Scummvm for playing monkey island and VDM sound on grim fandago (i'm not sure if you can use VDM on non dos games thoe. i'd still give it a shot.)

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Old 06-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

VDMSound is for DOS based games only, as far as i know.
But like guybrush_guy said, update soundcard drivers, try running the games in Windows95 compatibility mode, if you're using Windows XP.

If that doesn't help, then you can use ScummVM for Monkey island, as for Grim, i don't know any other solution than those mentioned above.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum Raoul!

I moved this post to the tech forum. I hope you get the answers you need.

emily
Old 06-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Pure Smooth Hell

ok I'll try the windows95 compatibility thing, but I already tried the scummvm, but the loops continued, although maybe not as often.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
Grumpy & bitter man

Well that's strange, you should really check for driver updates for your soundcard, it this doesn't help, check the state of the CDs (scratches). Try to copy the monkey island discs to hard drive and run the game from there, ScummVM supports this, if the looping continues, then you're out of luck, wait for better drivers.

Just out of curiousity, what soundcard do you have?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Pure Smooth Hell

I updated my drivers 2 weeks ago, I don't think that's the problem. I don't have sound problems in any other games I play. I have copied it all onto my harddrive. Stupid games it got better after around 1 hour in MI, but I can't stand having to go through it again with GF. And Discworld won't work either. So 3 out of 3 games I've wanted to play today are ****ed.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
Pure Smooth Hell

oh, didnt see that last question. SB audigy something. Don't question my hardware, matey
Old 06-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke
oh, didnt see that last question. SB audigy something. Don't question my hardware, matey
I don't. I also have SB Audigy and i can't say there weren't any problems with it during the last two years, for instance, i could get the sound to work in Blair Witch Vol1 under XP, it worked fine in Win 98.

If by Discworld, you're reffering to Discworld Noir, you can check this site, maybe you'll find some solution, but i wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I was just installing Grim Fandango myself and experienced some strange sound glitch. I enabled 3D Accceleration and the sound went poof, all of it. No music, sounds or voice. And when I engage in conversation I have to manually skip each line as the game refuses to make the conversation go on (As if it's missing the voice or something)... very strange. I have yet to try the compatability options though.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #11

Okay, the sound worked perfectly when I restarted the game with the 3D Acceleration enabled by default... but I soon experienced the same bug that Raoul_Duke is talking about. The sound starts looping constantly just at random points and the only way is to exit the game and start it again. Starting a conversation, leaving the room or using the options won't fix it.

As reported by dxdiag:

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_80B01043&REV_A0
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: smwdm.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.3533 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 12/5/2002 16:39:56, 534976 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Analog Devices
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): Yes
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

It's an onboard soundcard chip, it's served me well so far.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
guybrush_guy

i did some thinking, it may be a direct X sound problem. i had a similar problem a few years ago with riven. i don't remember exactly how to fix it but try changing your Midi settings. to the default Microsoft synthesizer.

Old 06-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #13

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I did notice some other strange bugs while playing - this seems to get worser and worser each time.

If I loaded the saved game from when the sound disappeared, the game is loaded with no sound. It seems as if the save file has stored that as well. Strange.

Also, it seems that just by pressing F1 I can trigger the sound to disappear. Manny had his 'O' face expression while saying 'Whatever you say, jefe." Kinda disturbing.

*sigh*
Old 06-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Vision

Hi,
The only thing that comes to my mind is to try turning off hardware acceleration for your soundcard. I have no idea if that'll work with either grim or cmi but it seems to work with a lot of games and soundcards. If you don't know how to do it, go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> advanced speaker settings -> performance and turn the hardware acceleration slider all the way to the left. Hope it helps.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:40 AM   #15
Pure Smooth Hell

Nope, hardware acceleration was off when I started to play, so that won't do the trick. Royal fool, I started off by having no sound at all either, except for the cut-scenes.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:18 AM   #16
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke
Nope, hardware acceleration was off when I started to play, so that won't do the trick. Royal fool, I started off by having no sound at all either, except for the cut-scenes.
Well, have you tried the opposite and put it all the way to full acceleration? I had a similar problem with Broken Sword 3's speech when I tried to play it with anything less.

And since you're having similar problems with ScummVM, that might be the case as well.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 06-27-2004, 06:23 AM   #17
Pure Smooth Hell

full acceleration was the first thing I tried when I had no sound at all in GF, but I just play with the compatibility modes, and it's sorta fixed. But full acc has no effect on the looping :/
Old 06-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #18

Win 95 compatability seems to fix the speech but the videos go crazy, they're now 2-3x slower and the sound is horribly choppy. This goes for all videos, like when Glottis is first introduced in the game and he crawls out of his shed the video is super-slow, same when Manny enters the parking lot and Domino's car drives by.

EDIT #1: Same goes for Win 98/ME compatability, except for some reason the game has incredibly long loading times in this mode.

EDIT #2: I tried it in Win2K comp. mode and finally the loading times were non-existant and the cutscenes and videos play flawlessly. However, as soon as I load a savegame the sound disappears. AAARGH!

Last edited by Royal Fool; 06-27-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:20 AM   #19
Grumpy & bitter man

Ok, you guys made me do something i couldn't get myself into doing for long time now. I've started to replay Grim Fandango again and i must say it runs without a single sound problem on my WinXP. There were few random crashes to desktop so far and there is a bug with a forklift in year two, but official patch fixed it. Other than that, no problems at all.

My system:
-----------------
Athlon XP 1700+
512 mb RAM
SB Audigy
Geforce 3
Old 06-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Have you tried seeing if the Grim patch helps any?

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/grim.htm