Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Discworld Noir XP (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/329-discworld-noir-xp.html)

PTDC 10-02-2003 10:36 AM

Discworld Noir XP

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes... I got discworld noir the other day after to deciding to ignore the doesn't work with xp message on the box. I can get it to run, but the cutscenes are messed up and it won't let me change the settings. Does anybody know if there's any way to get it working properly in xp?

BacardiJim 10-02-2003 10:39 AM

It absolutely cannot be run correctly in XP. The best that can be done is to make it run fairly well in XP, with occasional glitches and at least two locations guaranteed to crash you to desktop.

PTDC 10-02-2003 10:42 AM

Ah well, I suppose I'll have to run it on my brother's pc in win 98 :/ thanks anyway

hooter 10-02-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacardiJim
It absolutely cannot be run correctly in XP. The best that can be done is to make it run fairly well in XP, with occasional glitches and at least two locations guaranteed to crash you to desktop.

Um, I just finished DiscWorld Noir a couple of months back from start to finish under Windows XP without a glitch, hitch, hiccup or ANY crash to desktop - including the "dreaded open notebook/inventory" crash.

PTDC 10-02-2003 11:41 AM

Did you do anything to get it running or did it just run?

tabacco 10-02-2003 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooter
Um, I just finished DiscWorld Noir a couple of months back from start to finish under Windows XP without a glitch, hitch, hiccup or ANY crash to desktop - including the "dreaded open notebook/inventory" crash.

Want to share how?

remixor 10-02-2003 12:20 PM

Quote:

I played through the entire game in XP without any crashes to desktop and with only one glitch. I was not able to restore a saved game from the main menu. However, this was an easily solved problem--I simply started a new game every time I loaded it up and loaded from there.

I didn't do anything special to get the game working, I just had to remember not to load saves from the main menu.

BacardiJim 10-02-2003 05:08 PM

Well, I stand corrected. Apparently the laws of physics and computer coding work differently on remixor's computer than anywhere else in the known universe. I suggest you pack your bags and move in with remixor, PTDC. :eek:

PTDC 10-02-2003 08:56 PM

OK, but I'm going to miss living with you ;)

remixor 10-02-2003 09:09 PM

Quote:

Well, I stand corrected. Apparently the laws of physics and computer coding work differently on remixor's computer than anywhere else in the known universe.

Yeah, except for hooter's computer. :rolleyes:

twifkak 10-03-2003 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Yeah, except for hooter's computer. :rolleyes:

Wormhole!_

Becky 10-03-2003 01:29 AM

I played the game in XP. No tweaking needed. No crashes except at the main menu when attempting to reload a game. Hitting F1 at that point allows you to reload. I encountered some minor stuttering.

remixor 10-03-2003 01:30 AM

The laws of physics and computer coding are going utterly haywire!

DomStLeger 10-03-2003 03:04 AM

Noir is notriously unstable, I don't think it's the OS fault entirely. Even in 98 on some computers you can't get it to run at all; while on some win2000 it's perfect. If only perfect lastesd long enough to make a proper patch eh? :sad:

remixor 10-03-2003 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStLeger
on some win2000 it's perfect.

buh dum pshh! :D

DomStLeger 10-03-2003 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
buh dum pshh! :D

hehe worked for me first time; all the way through; though I tried it again recently and it didn't get past the first scene :(

Wajus 10-03-2003 08:26 AM

Maybe here you will find solution to your problem:
http://www.thediscworld.co.uk/problems.htm

DustCropper 10-03-2003 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Noir is notriously unstable, I don't think it's the OS fault entirely. Even in 98 on some computers you can't get it to run at all; while on some win2000 it's perfect. If only perfect lastesd long enough to make a proper patch eh? :sad:

On my Windows 2000 computer it ran fine, except I did have the same problem with the main menu that Remixor is talking about. But other than that, it never crashed, no errors... it ran just fine.

James 10-03-2003 09:36 AM

hmm. will try it on my laptop, cause it sure as hell didnt work on my pc. ill try the cd crack dealie, but it seems like a lot of hassle.

pamela80 01-25-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTDC
Ah well, I suppose I'll have to run it on my brother's pc in win 98 :/ thanks anyway

I've run the game on win xp pro sp1. All you have to do is press F1 to load or save the game and you can edit the options from there, and then the game won't crash :)