You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Stuck in Gabriel Knight III's first time block

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
BSC, SSC

Default Stuck in Gabriel Knight III's first time block

Greetings.

First, my apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

Anyway, I recently installed Gabriel Knight III (on a Windows XP). The game works otherwise finely, but I can't, quite embarrassingly, get past the first time block. I've started a new game three times, and despite some rather heavy use of various walkthroughs, I'm still stuck. I'm fairly sure that I've done everything that can be done during the time block.

Is it possible that a bug is causing this? Or, (I wouldn't be too surprised) have I missed something?

Thank you.

Rabbe
Old 05-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #2

Hey, Rabbe. I haven't encountered any bugs in GK3 so I doubt it's that. Heres a link to the Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned UHS (Universal Hint System) entry. It should tell you everything you need to do in that time block. Most of the stuff that you have to do in the first time block is meet some characters and begin your investigation...
Spoiler:
... Have you talked to all the characters? Have you gone to the museum and hid behind the signs so you can listen to the two ladies? Have you looked at the hotel log book yet? Have you phoned Prince James? Have you spoken to Mosely and the Abbe yet? Have you investigated the books in the window at the store near the hotel? Just explore the town and take your time. These are some of the things that you've got to do in the first time block. If you've done these things you can go to the UHS file I linked too.
Have fun. It's an awesome game.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
BSC, SSC

Thank you. I was aware of the site already, though, and am quite sure I've done everything it tells you to do... Oh well, I guess I'll have to start the game again and see if I'll manage further this time.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #4

Ah, okay. Sorry if I came across as patronising. Are you sure you've done everything in the UHS? You might want to double check before you restart the game.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

I don't know that starting again is necessarily going to help you. This game can be very particular about triggering the next time block. Sometimes you may have done all the stuff, it's just a matter of going to the right location (such as the hotel lobby or the hotel room) before the timeblock will shift. But there are no dead ends... you can't "miss" anything that will prevent you from advancing later (which is why I don't know that starting over will help).

I've found that for this game in particular, walkthroughs can be confusing because there's a lot of extra stuff (i.e., stuff that's not necessary for you to do to complete the game), and walkthroughs can make it seem like you're missing something (or that you've hit a bug) when you're actually not.

When I replayed this game recently I got stuck in this timeblock because I didn't go back to talk to the museum worker after I'd learned about the Holy Grail.

-emily
Old 05-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Ah, okay. Sorry if I came across as patronising. Are you sure you've done everything in the UHS? You might want to double check before you restart the game.
Oh no, you didn't. I'm sorry if I came across as if you came across as patronising... -grin-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I don't know that starting again is necessarily going to help you. This game can be very particular about triggering the next time block. Sometimes you may have done all the stuff, it's just a matter of going to the right location (such as the hotel lobby or the hotel room) before the timeblock will shift. But there are no dead ends... you can't "miss" anything that will prevent you from advancing later (which is why I don't know that starting over will help).

I've found that for this game in particular, walkthroughs can be confusing because there's a lot of extra stuff (i.e., stuff that's not necessary for you to do to complete the game), and walkthroughs can make it seem like you're missing something (or that you've hit a bug) when you're actually not.

When I replayed this game recently I got stuck in this timeblock because I didn't go back to talk to the museum worker after I'd learned about the Holy Grail.

-emily

Thanks. I'll try to make another trip around the village, then, to see I've missed something.

Rabbe
Old 05-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Laine
Oh no, you didn't. I'm sorry if I came across as if you came across as patronising... -grin-
Heh, okay then.
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try to make another trip around the village, then, to see I've missed something.
If for some reason that doesn't work try following the UHS and do everything they do in the same order. Also if you still can't get it to work you might have to re-install the game or ask for a save game.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Heh, okay then. If for some reason that doesn't work try following the UHS and do everything they do in the same order. Also if you still can't get it to work you might have to re-install the game or ask for a save game.
Yup, getting a saved game from somewhere is an option I've been considering. However, I'd like to make sure that it is the only choice I have, since, to tell the truth, it feels a tad like cheating to me. *g* Tried reinstalling already, too.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, both!

Best wishes,
Rabbe
Old 05-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #9

Yeah, and if it is some sort of fault, who's to say it won't happen in another timeblock. Goodluck. It's my favourite game and definately worth playing.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Did you ever figure it out?

-emily
Old 05-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #11
Life and times of...

I don't think he did, since he hasn't replied that he has...

Last edited by UPtimist; 05-28-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I got stuck because I didn't look in the window of the bookshop - you can read the titles, but you have to get Gabe to actively LOOK at them, from what I remember ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #13
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Did you ever figure it out?

-emily
No, I didn't. Sorry for taking such a long time to respond, but my computer got infected by a virus that prevented any remotely effective use of the 'Net by closing SVChost and several other similar processes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
I don't think he did... It seems that way...
Elen sÃ*la lúmenn' omentielvo, my young Padawan... Alas, thou art correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyWare
I got stuck because I didn't look in the window of the bookshop - you can read the titles, but you have to get Gabe to actively LOOK at them, from what I remember ...
I think I looked at the books, but I'm not exactly sure, now that you mention it. Thanks, I'll see if that works once I get the computer back to a state in which it might actually work...

Thanks, all.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Ack, how frustrating!

If you get stuck I may have a saved game that can help you out. I'd have to double-check though.

-emily
Old 05-27-2004, 05:06 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Quote:
No, I didn't. Sorry for taking such a long time to respond, but my computer got infected by a virus that prevented any remotely effective use of the 'Net by closing SVChost and several other similar processes...

Elen sÃ*la lúmenn' omentielvo, my young Padawan... Alas, thou art correct!

I think I looked at the books, but I'm not exactly sure, now that you mention it. Thanks, I'll see if that works once I get the computer back to a state in which it might actually work...

Thanks, all.
Thou fool calling thy master Padawan. Maybe you should feel my wrath in a round of Insult Sword Fighting! oh, whoops. You're into fencing. Well maybe Insult soccer! (hah, now there's a game...)
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 AM   #16
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Ack, how frustrating!

If you get stuck I may have a saved game that can help you out. I'd have to double-check though.

-emily
That'd be very much appreciated, my lady, if you happen to run across a file that might be useful.

However, if thou couldeth excuse me for a moment, I have to go demand satisfaction now... *g*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Thou fool calling thy master Padawan. Maybe you should feel my wrath in a round of Insult Sword Fighting! oh, whoops. You're into fencing. Well maybe Insult soccer! (hah, now there's a game...)
Ah, but that would be such an unfair contest, considering thy placement of focus in the field of bodily activities, I'm afraid. I would very much prefer a duel at dawn to solve this inevitable conflict. Thy choice of weapons, my friend...

Quite shamelessly taking the risk of moving the thread further off-topic, I might ask what on Earth is Insult soccer -or Insult Sword Fighting for that matter- anyway? *g*

Rabbe
Old 05-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #17
Life and times of...

Ah, but you must play the Monkey Island-games to find out...
Old 05-28-2004, 08:13 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay, I'll check tonight if I have a save right at the beginning of the second timeblock.

-emily
Old 05-30-2004, 07:45 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Hello,

I do have a save exactly where you need it -- the beginning of the 2nd timeblock. (If it makes you feel any better, I also have about six saves called "wandering," "still wandering," "looking for the trigger," "Will this timeblock ever end?" ... you get the picture!)

Your email is not public - send me an email and I will send you the game.

-emily
Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #20
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Hello,

I do have a save exactly where you need it -- the beginning of the 2nd timeblock. (If it makes you feel any better, I also have about six saves called "wandering," "still wandering," "looking for the trigger," "Will this timeblock ever end?" ... you get the picture!)

Your email is not public - send me an email and I will send you the game.

-emily
Sent you a PM.

Rabbe