You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Stuck in Gabriel Knight III's first time block

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks for letting me know -- I hardly ever notice when I have a PM.

I emailed it to you...

emily
Old 06-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #22
thruth seeker

Default official sierras walkthrough

I have a walkthrough that was written and copyrighted by Sierra and was provided by GK3's Public Relations Department and sended to me 4 years ago, it's an official thing, with ALL STUFF OF THE GAME, it confirms too that you can't end the game with all the points =(, but it's ok, i'll be glad if i help you.

Anyway, i need your e-mail to send to you, the file have 619KB, i try to put only the text here but is too long too, ok???

bye
Old 06-03-2004, 01:56 AM   #23
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilovsk
I have a walkthrough that was written and copyrighted by Sierra and was provided by GK3's Public Relations Department and sended to me 4 years ago, it's an official thing, with ALL STUFF OF THE GAME, it confirms too that you can't end the game with all the points =(, but it's ok, i'll be glad if i help you.

Anyway, i need your e-mail to send to you, the file have 619KB, i try to put only the text here but is too long too, ok???

bye
Thank you, but I'm afraid I do not need it at the moment, as I got a save file from the second timeblock already.

Rabbe
Old 06-03-2004, 08:24 AM   #24
fov
Rattenmonster

How'd you get that walkthrough... did Sierra email it to you?

Interesting, I thought their customer service probably sucked (along with the rest of the company) by the time GK3 came out...

I wonder if it's available online anywhere?

-emily

ps I'd heard before that it's impossible to get all the points. Sloppy game design... but I guess when you have so many possible points, a mistake like that is inevitable...
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #25

I don't think it's sloppy design. There's so much going on, don't some of the alternate scenes also overlap with each other. You've got to choose what you want to see. I think that's awesome.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C.
I don't think it's sloppy design. There's so much going on, don't some of the alternate scenes also overlap with each other. You've got to choose what you want to see. I think that's awesome.
I agree with you that the amount of stuff going on in this game is great. I had fun spying on characters in different time blocks and looking for ways to up my score-- it adds to the replayability of the game.

BUT a total of 850 points (or however many there are) says to me "The most points you can get in this game is 850." If you can't actually *achieve* 850 points, this is misleading. A lot of people spend extra time trying to get all the points -- I know of people who played through this game like 15 times trying to get them all. If there are 850 potential points in the entire game, but in the constraints of one game you can only achieve 845 (or whatever), why don't they just say that the total is 845? What's the point of giving an unattainable number?

Having read about some of the issues that came up in the production of this game, I suspect it was shoddy QA testing -- they may not have known until it was too late that you couldn't get the (so-called) total number of points. Which brings me back to the opinion that it's sloppy design. It's not a big deal-- there are certainly worse things that could happened!

I have the same issue with Shadow of Destiny -- as far as I can tell, it's not possible to actually get 100% in some of the chapters. But it could just be extremely hard to do.

-emily
Old 06-03-2004, 08:15 PM   #27
BSC, SSC

Yay, worked! Thanks again!

Rabbe
Old 06-04-2004, 03:36 PM   #28

Cool. Have fun playing the game.

Fov: I just figured that in the entire game there was a total of 850 unique points to get, even though you couldn't get them all. I've never played adventure games to achieve the perfect score, so it didn't bother me.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Laine
Greetings.

First, my apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

Anyway, I recently installed Gabriel Knight III (on a Windows XP). The game works otherwise finely, but I can't, quite embarrassingly, get past the first time block. I've started a new game three times, and despite some rather heavy use of various walkthroughs, I'm still stuck. I'm fairly sure that I've done everything that can be done during the time block.

Is it possible that a bug is causing this? Or, (I wouldn't be too surprised) have I missed something?

Thank you.

Rabbe
Hi

I too have just had the same thing happen, replaying GK3 after playing it the first time round many moons ago. I'm absolutely sure I've done all the necessary actions, I have looked at the books in the window and got him to comment on them etc, I've been to all the possible locations several times, tried talking to everyone about everything I can etc, it's getting boring now and I'm right at the beginning!

I don't remember this happening the first time round either, maybe it's because it's on a different machine, although it's running on Windows 98 on a partition. Anyhow, I'm at the point where I might have to either re-start or try re-installing the game, unless anyone has got a definite right thing for me to do, is there a particular location or action that always triggers the start of the next time block for instance?
Thanks in frustration!
Lynda