You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems how do I run Discworld Noir with DOSbox on Windows 7?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default how do I run Discworld Noir with DOSbox on Windows 7?

I'm going mental. I've tried all the different things people claim to have made this game work for them and none of them are working for me. And, as you've probably guessed, having resorted to coming here, none of them have worked for me.

I have tried running with every compatibility mode, I've tried every possible combination of options on that tab.

I downloaded the 'tin3_dxd' fix but it didn't do anything for me.

The only option I have left if using DOSbox as another forum suggested. But that poses another problem; I am a complete n00b when it comes to DOS commands.

I don't know what I'm supposed to type in order to use it to launch the game.

If it makes a difference I have the 'RePlay Adventure' 3 disk distribution of the game. I have it installed to C : \ DiscNoir and my DvDRom is my D : \ drive. And I have windows 7. (Spaces in directory locations because I forgot to disabled emots)

If anybody can tell me what I'm supposed to be typing to make this work I'll be eternally grateful.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

DOSBox is used to run DOS games. Discworld Noir is a Windows 9x game. Because of that it's impossible to run this game in DOSBox. HOWEVER you have the option to setup a virtual WIndows 9x (95,98,Me) system. Take a look at VirtualPC 2007 (runs fine in Windows 7), VMWare Player and Virtualbox. They are all freeware and do a good work whem it comes to older Windows games. Exception:Games which require 3d acceleration.Fortunately, not many adventure games used this software feature back then, there were just some exceptions (like Grim Fandango I think), I don't remember if Discworld Noir is also one of them. There may be also an installer or patch available which would help the game run in newer Windows OSes.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

I recently installed a virtual machine to run certain old (and new) games like tsampikos suggested. I laid out the steps I used here: http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index...0841#msg610841. Just replace the AGS games with Discworld. You might need to install win 98 instead of xp to run it Discworld properly though. Good luck.

Also, I am not sure if using dosbox will work, but if you want to try you should use d-fend reloaded instead. It is a front-end that runs games in dosbox but makes it really easy for people who aren't comfortable using dos. You can find it here: http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

thanks, I'll look into that now
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

I'm not elegable for Virtual PC unless I "upgrade" my OS (I'm on home premium).

Apparently VirtualBox only goes back to Win98, does WMware Player do Win95?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #6

Virtualbox has no problem wit Windows 95, I use it with great success. the only thing is that Win 9x. is not fully supported, but using the step by step tutorial in the virtualbox website everything will be fine. I have such perfomance that I sometimes think that this is my actual system. VMWare Player supports fully Windows 9x 100% with excellent results.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9918

From my experience VPC 2007 is compatible with Windows 7 home premium. I have used it (x64 home premium).

PS:To set the whole thing up in Virtualbox takes a while longer but the result gives just happiness. But VMWare player does the job too and the setup configuration is faster and more automated. Virtualbox does only the basic installation.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #7

I'm currently downloading VirtualBox and had the intention of using Commador's instructions when I realised they called for a copy of Windows XP. As many of you might know; XP had trouble running this game and there were several topics such as this at the time with far easier solutions for 'fixing' the game and making it run (though problematic it still often remained).

Now, I have a copy of windows XP somewhere in my house. This will require a lot of digging on my part. I do not exaggerate when I say this may be several days of digging which may, indeed, be fruitless by the time I say "Fuck it, I give up".

What i do not have is a copy of windows 95 or 98. I don't even have a copy of windows 2000; my first PC was windows 3.1 and I went straight from that to WinME, which sucked ass, and though I had a 'backup copy' of the OS (as the PC's manufacturer called it, as it wasn't an official copy of the disc but one they burned off themselves and stuck their logo onto).

Should I just download a copy of one of these OSs?

I do not believe either are readily available from Microsoft or from anybody licenced to resell MS products. Therefore, should not legal and ethical issues surely dissipate?

I mean, legal issues aside, if you can really see any ethical issues in pirating a product from one of the world's most monopolising companies (whose other unethical business practises are many and varied) who're already proven to be one of the world's most profitable, and therefore any 'crime' against them is something of a 'Robin Hood Tax,' then you have far better eye sight then I.

Last edited by Marduk; 04-01-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

I really thought that this might be my solution; http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...ndows-7-922313 but it's proving to be too complex for my tiny little mind