You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default QFG1 - getting past the ghosts

Is there any way of getting past the ghosts to get the mandrake OTHER than using the unguent potion? I can't get into the healer's so I can't buy it. There must be another way, otherwise I can't progress. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

No there isn't. Why can't you get into the healer's?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Senior Automaton

I stole a potion at the very start and she won't open the door because she doesn't like thieves.

Well, it was a good game but what a silly dead end, I'm not going to restart it now.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

If you're playing the original version, you can use the debug mode to add items. If you're playing the remake... well, you're screwed.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Senior Automaton

Unfortunately it's the remake I really enjoyed up until now but i'm not going to replay the many hours I put into it, and even if I did there's no guarantee I won't run into another dead end later on.

Might move onto the 2nd one. Are there any traps or dead ends on that one I should watch out for?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Wait a minute... You're not playing with ScummVM, are you? Because then, you could probably use ScummVM's debug mode to get you the items you need. Otherwise, I'm afraid that's it.

I think all the QfG games have some dead-ends. At least I know #2 and #4 do. But they're not like King's Quest: they're not actively trying to trick you into a dead-end. But they're not making sure to eliminate all dead ends either. By saving regularly, having a separate save at the beginning of each day, and using some common sense*, you should be able to avoid the kind of situation you're now in.

* I really don't want to sound like a prick, and believe me I know how it feels to lose hours of progress in a game, but when a game has something like 10 characters, and one of them refuses to talk to you, you should know that you've done something wrong and restore immediately... At least back then, it was obvious to everyone, and I don't think the designers were trying to trick anyone into a dead end.

QfG2 definitely has some similar dead-ends. If you offend a character named Aziza, she'll kick you out of her home and I'm pretty sure that's going to be problem down the road. Or you can walk into the desert and end up with not enough water to get back to the city. Maybe you can drop essential items, but I'm not sure. (The remake might have eliminated some dead-ends.) Once again, with regular saves, daily check points and common sense, you should be OK. But there definitely are dead ends here and there if you're not careful.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
Senior Automaton

Ok thanks for that, I might go onto #2. Or restart #1, depends on how I feel. I was really enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
By saving regularly, having a separate save at the beginning of each day, and using some common sense*, you should be able to avoid the kind of situation you're now in.

* I really don't want to sound like a prick, and believe me I know how it feels to lose hours of progress in a game, but when a game has something like 10 characters, and one of them refuses to talk to you, you should know that you've done something wrong and restore immediately... At least back then, it was obvious to everyone, and I don't think the designers were trying to trick anyone into a dead end.
It wasn't like that. I went to the healer's hut at the start, talked to her and grabbed some potions, then went back hours later and found out it was locked. There was no indication she would shaft me.

Also, Sierra has a limit of about 10 saves, and I save every couple of minutes. To make room for more I had to delete my early saves.

If anyone has a mid-game save for a magic user that would be great. That may be wishful thinking though