You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default Obsidian on windows 7

Is there any way of getting it working?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Put these old QT files in the base of the installed folder and set your resolution to 16-bit color. The display of the game is 640x480, so you may want to also set Obsidian.exe to run at 640x480 in the compatibility mode settings.

http://sierrahelp.com/download.php?f...ckTime_212.zip

If you have x64 Windows, You will have the additional problem that the installer is just 16-bit, so it will not run on x64. If you had the foresight to get Win7 Pro or Ultimate, you can use XP Mode to install it and then just copy the folder over to your physical drive. If you only have the Home edition, you will need to find another PC with with 32-bit Windows or setup a VM with 32-bit Windows to do it. This is one o the main reasons that I write new installers for older Windows games. Often, they are 32-bit games that don't take much to get to run, but won't install on modern Windows.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Senior Automaton

Ahh, I have x64 Ultimate but don't have hardware-assisted virtualization so I can't install it. Looks like I'll have to find another PC then. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

Try copying the Obsidian folder on the first CD to your hard drive and unzip the QT files into it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

I am also having a very difficult time. I am not well versed in tech, but can follow instructions. Any info on how to install on Windows 7 home ed would be awesome. I loved this game way back when, and would love to share it with my teen son!!

I tried copying the Obsidian folder and unzipping QT files into it, but still errors abound. I have 3 laptops, but none with that wonderful XP on them. I would even be willing to set a VM, but I am not sure what that even means.

Please help...
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

More information? What OS, What all have you tried? Does the game start? What errors?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

I have Windows 7 Home Ed. I have tried installing under Windows 95 by changing the compatibility for the install file. I have also tried your earlier suggestion of copying the Obsidian folder and the unzipped QT files.

I am getting compatibility error messages due to having a 64 bit system. I have not been able to find contact info for Segasoft as I do believe they are no longer operating. I did try Sega, but they claim they are not connected with Segasoft.

If you have a step by step process I would be incredibly appreciative!!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

Try this. It is the first effort towards a new installer.

http://sierrahelp.com/download.php?f...idianSetup.exe
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the installer, Collector. It appears to work fine, but the game itself doesn't seem to work on my 64-bit Home Premium 7.

Running the Launch or the Obsidian executables just leaves me with an Obsidian process standing at 4'ish MB of memory usage and no activity. Maybe it has something to do with that mTropolis Windows Player thing?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #10

I developed and tested it on my Win 7 Pro x64, so it is not a problem with bit depth. The game relies on QuickTime. Just a thought, Did you install in the Program Files directory? If so, try installing it in a non system folder.